The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14905 06/18/2003 7:07 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 22
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 22
Which carb is better the Carter W-1 or the YF?

John

#14906 06/19/2003 3:04 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
For a daily driver, the YF is better. Much better metering circuits in the YF. The only real problem with the YF can be the diaphragm type accelerator pump. If driven only occasionally, the gasoline in the bowl can evaporate, leaving the inside of the carburetor dry. Diaphragms don't like to be dry once they have been in gasoline. They show their displeasure by becoming brittle and cracking, rendering them useless.

The W-1 is a much older design (1932 vs 1950). Accelerator pump is the much preferable leather. After the leather dries out, simply refilling the carburetor with gasoline will soak up the leather, and the accelerator pump will perform.

Personal opinion - on a scale of one (awful) to ten (wonderful), I would rate these as follows:

1932 - 1933 W-1 (5)
1934 - 1936 W-1 (5.5)
1937 - 1948 W-1 (7)
1949 W-1 (7.5)
1950 up YF (9.5 if used as a daily driver, otherwise 6)
1950 up Rochester B (5)

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
#14907 06/19/2003 5:27 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Thanks for the ratings, Carbking! I had a YF carb on my '75 AMC Hornet that I sent to the knackers. If I can find one of those, would it be a simple switch for my W-1? What about the YF's heat tube that went from the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the carb?

(I wish I knew I was going to get my truck before I got rid of the Hornet's carb.)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0