I am looking for info on doing a T5 swap. The search says "T5" never shows up, but that is typical for low-character searches.
I went manually looming through the Driveline forum to see if I could just find it myself, but I only see 3 pages of posts going back to late October of last year.
Did something happen to the older posts or am I just derping out?
Last edited by Peggy M; 01/06/20236:41 PM. Reason: moved from IT Shortbus; and changed title
He's also got a Build Blog for his 1963 Chevy C10.
Last edited by Peggy M; 01/06/20236:42 PM.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
I did not buy one yet. I am still in the planning/budgeting stage.
My brakes are sketchy and my pinion is roached. My goal is to fix both of those this year. If I put in a T5, that will affect whether or not I change the gear ratio in the diff while I am in there.
Though actual expenditures are on hold for a while. The CEO of the place I work announced right before Christmas that they were going to lay off 10% of the staff in Jan/Feb and cut pay for everyone else. The details of who is getting cut are supposed to be coming out over the next few weeks. After that I can work in what resources I can spend on this project.
In the meantime there is plenty of reading and measuring and thinking to do.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I did not buy one yet. I am still in the planning/budgeting stage. In the meantime there is plenty of reading and measuring and thinking to do.
If you have a SBC engine with decent HP, then a T5 with a 0.72 OD gear will work well with a 3.73 rear axle (or numerically higher axle gear). The inline 6 engines like the 0.86 OD gear. The 1983-93 S10 T5s have a Muncie bolt pattern where it bolts to the bell. The 1983-88 S10 T5s should have a cable style speedo connection. The 1989-93 S10 T5s have a Muncie bolt pattern with a VSS speedometer connection. The 1994 and newer T5s have a FORD bolt pattern with a VSS style speedo connection. An adapter plate will be needed to bolt it to a Muncie pattern bell. Don't forget that the GMC Sonoma trucks are likely to have the same combinations. The T5 was not mated to the 4.3L engines. Watch THIS VIDEO. which shows the differences.
Jay, yeah I have gone through your site a few times now. I have a stock-ish 283 and a 3.73 rear end, so I think the 0.72 OD should be just about right.
Once I figure out my budget I will hit the junkyards around here and see what I can find.
Jay, yeah I have gone through your site a few times now. I have a stock-ish 283 and a 3.73 rear end, so I think the 0.72 OD should be just about right.
Once I figure out my budget I will hit the junkyards around here and see what I can find.
Haha! I have a fresh 283 in my 1965 C10 short bed stepside and a 3.73 rear axle. The T5 has the 0.72 overdrive but Iām seriously thinking of swapping to a 0.86 overdrive gear because these 283 SBC engines like the higher RPMs. I have a 1963 C10 short bed fleetside with an inline 230 and 3.73 rear. That T5 has a 0.79 overdrive gear and does fine in overdrive.