| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,143 Posts1,056,495 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 48 | My '47 283EC drivers door droops about 3/4" at the handle. It is the same cab door from 41 to 46. There is a bullet type aligner on the door that is worn through...I'm thinking this is what aligns the door when it is closed. It appears to be welded to the frame of the door. Is there a replacement piece somewhere? How do I fix this?
Matt | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 629 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 629 | I look forward to some answers on tis one because mine drops a little too and it shows the same "worn through" mark as well.
Tim Sheridan 1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it. In the Gallery | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Have you tried replacing the hinge pins? That'd be my first guess,if you can't adjust it out. Speed | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 48 | Tim I love the page you set up. It's a blast to read. Yes, I have replaced the hinge pins, the problem is that the piece on the door itself that aligns the door as it closes is worn through. The piece in the jam on the cab is fine. I need to know if there is a replacement piece that can be bought to replace the worn through part. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 | naddaclue, I don't thik you will find a after market replacement for that piece. You might be able to fab something up and weld it on, or find one at your local junk yard. Your door shouldn't sag that much. That bullet shaped alignment pin should be centered in the piece on the door jam. A sagging door caused the wear you have experienced. The two pieces should slide together when you close the door with little or no rubbing. If you can get your hands on a GMC manual for the 41-46 trucks, there is a section in there that tells you how to adjust the door. It involves putting a 2x4 in the hinge and closing the door on it, there by tweeking the hinge and adjusting the door up or down. If you email me directly I can send you a copy I scanned. George | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 | I've never seen an aftermarket alignment slug like you're refering to either. I think the best place to get one is a junk door. I have had some experience with door alignment. In fact, I've never had a replacement door fit correctly without some realignment. There is no factory adjustment provided. I think the doors were fited to the cabs at the factory using the information that 46forme refers to in the GMC manual. I also have had 2 cabs that had a crack in the firewall right above the toe board which allowed the cabs to sink. Of course, the wood blocks and rubber pads that support the cab all need to be in good condition as well as the door pins. | | |
| |
| |