The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (68ironhead, Otto Skorzeny, Jerry 53), 72 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
Hiyas, I finally decided to become a member after the forums have gotten me through some uncharted territory.

Lifelong Mopar guy who was looking for a Dodge pilot house since just before the pandemic. Turns out, once the pan hit everyone, was looking for a project and things got dicey.

After having been sniped out of a few pilot houses on the web, i came across a 1954 3100 five window Chevy and jumped on it. When i went to look at it, he had it running, but barely. Was a Florida truck that wound up here in NY after the owner passed and it went to his Grandson.

The truck was in survivor condition. Only changes I can see are a replacement 235 of the same year, and it seems to have an older drivetrain -- the torque tube being of the narrower diameter, a (54 okie wouldn't fit).

And, well the wiring ... oh boy. Somebody kept her limping along by running new wires, even lamp cord... while leaving the old wires in place. So it's a jumble.

The 235 is an older rebuild but super clean and looks to have very little miles on it. Gaskets were all shot.

So far I've done...
* new original style fuel system from tank to carb
* rebuilt the little peanut transmission
* new radiator
* new gaskets on the upper part of the motor
* got all the lights working
* new dual cylinder master in the original locale -- kept the drums
* some temporary floor patches
* new door latches so passengers don't tumble out
* added seatbelts, also for the tumbling out thing, and to avoid dashboard eating

Runs great and drives well. Stops as it should.

Went to a few shows this summer and had some fun.

Currently doing modern tie rod ends, new tie rod (this things supposed to be straight right?). Trying to fix the pitman arm seal leak, found some great info in the forums.

I work seasonally so this winter I'll have time to address the wiring, with a 12v upgrade. Love the availability of parts for this truck and so glad I got her instead of the Dodge.

Thanks for letting me join smile

Mark
Attachments
20211002_124642.jpg (280.28 KB, 177 downloads)
20211024_162037.jpg (351.09 KB, 177 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/26/2024 9:57 PM. Reason: added more info to the title

1954 3100 5-window Chevy
Blackjack
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Welcome to the Stovebolt Collective. smile You'll find lots of member willing to help you out with issues you run across.

I like that B&W photo. Makes it look original. Nice looking truck. thumbs_up

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/25/2024 11:47 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,086
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,086
Great write up, good details. A big plus that you figured out how to do pictures. We really like pictures. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/25/2024 11:46 PM.

~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
You're in good company -- a lot of closeted MOPAR guys here smile

Welcome to Stovebolt!


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
The thing I like most about your truck is the engine. I look at a lot of pictures of cars and trucks for sale and when I see the engine compartment has been neglected I wonder what else has been.

Last edited by Peggy M; 07/06/2023 9:47 PM.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Can commiserate on the wiring issue. Definitely falls into the "YIKES" category. eek Looks like you are well on your way with the project. wink Looking forward to future conversation and more pictures! yahoo

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/25/2024 11:48 PM.

~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
I think im just going to pull out every bit of wire and start from scratch. I had entertained the idea of going one for one so i know who is going where but.. man there are so many dead ends where a wires just hanging.
thanks for the comment
Mark


1954 3100 5-window Chevy
Blackjack
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by WE b OLD
The thing I like most about your truck is the engine. I look at a lot of pictures of cars and trucks for sale and when I see the engine compartment has been neglected I wonder what else has been,
I've always been that way, even as a kid when I had my old 1968 Fury -- it looked pretty rough but the engine was spotless and chrome. I've learned since that "Chrome won't get you home" and I like to keep 'em looking pretty, but stock.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/25/2024 11:49 PM.

1954 3100 5-window Chevy
Blackjack
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Welcome to the 'bolt. I like the b&w pix too. My Mopar has a heartbeat tho.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/25/2024 11:50 PM.

Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0