The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (papas52, Otto Skorzeny, Lightholder's Dad, Millenimech), 167 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147839 08/07/2006 3:06 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 54
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 54
I'm hoping to put power steering on my 61 GMC 5500 (it's actually a Fire Truck). Anybody know of available kits or have any suggestions?
[email protected]

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Kits, probably not.
Find your parts in a junk yard and make it work, probably your best bet.
I have the power box from a 78 GMC 6500, you may want to look at one of those in your search for the one you need.
I may use it on my 48 2 ton if I ever feel like my first setup is too weak for the truck after the engine swap to Diesel.

For pictures of my swap on an AD truck click below


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Does it have an I beam front axle or independent suspension? I used a steering box from a '74 C-60 on my '66 C-60,and it fit without mods. (never hooked up the hydraulics,it drove fine without it.)Only problem I saw was the drag link was a little different length than the original,so I had to re-center the steering wheel and it turned a little sharper one way than the other. That could've been easily cured by matching the length of the newer one to the original. The set up I used had a ram that had one end attached to the tie rod with clamps and the other end connected to the center of the axle,which would require making a bracket since there's no hole for it to bolt to,the hoses would've been the right length to use as is,the set up also came with a cooler.The donor truck had a V-8 so the pump brackets wouldn't fit my 292 six,but that's not hard to cure either.
Basically an easy swap,but requires some parts searching and a little fabrication.
Don't know how much of this will be of use to you,but hope it helps.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0