The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (TooMany2count), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
I'm 6'4" so I have removed the fuel tank and closed off the fill hole and will install a tank in the frame in the back as thousands have done before.
I would like to use the original bench seat though just set back 4" or so.

I found Tri-five car seat extenders that do just this but found nothing for the 55-58 3100s.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
You may want to sell your truck in the future. If a 5'6" person can't reach the pedals then it loses value.
You want your head to be several inches away from the rear of the cab with the bench seat springs compressed (heaven forbid, someone rear ends your truck).
Your stock seat tracks bolt to the floor. I would study making an adapter, that can be added and removed, without modification to the original tracks.
The 55 2nd floor doesn't have the rear barrier or panel that the 55 1st has.
Attachments
1955 2nd floorboard.jpg (46.07 KB, 79 downloads)

Last edited by buoymaker; 10/13/2022 6:35 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
I’m not at home right now but, if memory serves me correct, I can barely get my hand between seat and window to flip it forward. You might double check if there’s room to move it back 4”. I’m guessing you’d be sitting up uncomfortably straight, or possibly leaning forward. Here’s best pic I’ve got on my phone of my ‘57 with OEM front seat.
Attachments


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
These trucks were not made for people over 6’ to drive comfortably. You cannot move the seat farther back without running into the issues listed above. You can have a seat shop modify the seat back to make it thinner to gain you an inch or two but that’s about it. I feel your pain as I’m over 6’ also.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Thanks all for the input. The bench when installed with the fuel tank behind it had about 2" of room, and I could lean it to get another 2"... but that was a bit ago, will look again.

Thinning the depth of the back was something I hadn't thought of before.

I guess I could go the route very few have attempted... slice the cab and add 6" of depth. smile

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
I put the seat back in the truck, with the seat position adjuster all the way back there is 1.5" between top of seat and cab. So at most 1.5" is how far I could move the seat frame back before it starts to rub on the cab. the problem of course is the mount for the front is elevated while the rear is at the floor so to move 1.5" back the seat bottom now tilts forward. Shimming the front is easy, lowering the rear is significant metal fab to restructure the cross-brace.

I liked the idea of having someone change the depth of the back, it's about 6" right now and the frame is at the rear so leaving the seat in stock position and having the back be 3" deep instead of 6" is the same as moving the seat back 3".

It looks as simple as a) shortening every spring, dozens of them and b) tightening the cover to take up the slack. Might actually be something I could pull off other than the fact all the springs are tied together so taking each one out will be a pain. Will noodle on it, or ask the guy who did my 65 GTO seats for an idea.

Trying to not buy new covers, the ones I have are in fantastic shape and I'm trying to get the thing running/driving as cheaply as possible and still safe.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
The upholstery shop will remove the entire spring assembly from the seat frame and make a new insert out of upholstery foam. The seat will be springs but the back will be foam.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0