Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,427 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | I've got the 3 peice wheels. Made the mistake of taking wheel apart before breaking the bead loose. I don't want to bend the small section prying on it. Saw sawzall suggested a while back what type blade would work best? wood blade seems to clog fast | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | I am not up on the split rim wheels, but if it were mine I would go find an old truck stop and have the tires removed and then reinstalled after I reconditioned the rims. As I remember those wheels were called widow makers and if not properly handled could cause you severe injury. Be carefull and good luck.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | kb3csw,
Sometimes you can lay the wheel down and actually drive over it slowly with another vehicle...do this as close to the bead as you can.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Toyvo these are the 3 piece not the split. They have the main part of the wheel then a outer ring and a lock ring to hold outer ring in place. Both this style and the 2 piece widowmakers were available in 54 (according to shop manuael) no idea why they used both types. I proably will take the rest to a tire shop and have them break the bead if nothing else so thats a good suggestion. with only the outer ring left to the tire there is no support to hold the tire firm while trying to get outer ring off without bending it | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Thanks Atomarc may try that if tire shop gets scared of the others. next time though I will break both sides loose then take the wheel apart. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | found the answer even the old nylon tires have a steel cord round the bead so metal blade was needed. learn a little each day. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 | Before you put them together be sure that all the seating surfaces are clean and free from rust. A wire brush on an angle grinder works best. The safest way to air them up (if you don't have a cage) is to wrap them at 3 points with a chain, snugly but not tightly, and stand clear while they're airing up. Hands-free chuck is a must. 1951 3800 Be the change you want to see. -hotshoe
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Thanks for the advice hotshoe36. on my 38 when i remounted them I bolted them on the truck and used a truck tire inflater on opposite side from lock ring in case it blew off. your method leaves less to chance | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 206 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 206 | I used to work at a old shop years back, the old timer who owned the place would put the tire under the hoist arms,air it up with the rings off and pour coca cola around it.go to the office and wait.BANG! it worked but dangerous!I dont think I'd do that anymore myself. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | ok I'm missing something at what point did he put rings on and what purpose did the coke serve? carbination some how forceing ring in place? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 | Tire cage was the best investment I have made, the chain method works too, but believe me, if a ring blows off, even if your not hurt, it will make the "outrageous" prices of the tire shop seem very "reasonable"!
Insert clever statement here:
| | |
| |