The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, jmoore, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, papas52), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,085
Posts1,056,329
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
I have searched several post here related to Epoxy Primer and see a lot of different methods. I am stripping a bumper to bare metal in vinegar ( I have used vinegar on other parts with great success). I plan to spray with Eastwood Epoxy primer.

2 questions.
I have seen a post that states Epoxy primer needs to be "force dried" by heat lamps or in a booth. Is this true for the Eastwood Epoxy Primer out of the spray can?
I have also seen different suggestions for what to spray on over the Epoxy primer. What is the best next coat (sandable primer?) and what is the window? Do I spray within the recoat window or wait.

NOTE: I will be using rattle cans, not a spray gun.

Last edited by dgrinnan; 09/19/2022 12:15 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Epoxy primers don't need to be force dried. After 24 hours, they need to be scuffed up before recoating. The next step would be a sandable filler primer, then you can paint over that.


'66 C60 body, '97 C6500 chassis, '07 LBZ Duramax with Allison 1000
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxwv1C6Ay2oxYH7u7
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Also best to select your topcoat and see what is compatable with that.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Rattle can epoxy primer? I thought that epoxy primer was a two part product. Does the rattle can have two compartments inside?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
I’ve used rattle can epoxy a couple times. There’s a breakable capsule inside that you break with a plunger. Spraymax is the brand I’ve used.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
Yes. The rattle can has a plunger on the bottom. It has a 24 hours pot life once you activate it. I am using Eastwood. Can I spray the Sandable primer directly over the epoxy without scuffing it if I do it within the recoat window?

Eastwood 2-Component Epoxy Aerosal Spray - black or gray

Last edited by dgrinnan; 09/20/2022 11:50 AM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0