Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (baldeagle),
158
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2022 Posts: 25 '40 Chevy 1/2t School Shop Project | | '40 Chevy 1/2t School Shop Project Joined: Sep 2022 Posts: 25 | On my 1940 Pickup, My speedometer needle is broken and I'm not sure on the other gauges functionality. The truck is converted to 12v as well. What options do I have for fixing it or what have others done to get there instrument cluster functioning again? I tried searching but didn't see anything for a '40. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | I was lucky when I bought my 40 project, it came with several extra gauge clusters, so I was able to come up with good working gauges. But it's pretty easy to check and test your gauges. The amp gauge doesn't care if it's 12 volt or 6 volt. It just measures current. If you measure across it with an ohm meter, it should measure close to zero ohms. If not, then it has a problem. If yes, it doesn't necessarily mean it's good, but it indicates that it probably is. You'll have to feed a larger amount of current through it to be sure. The gas gauge DOES care about 12 volts. You'll need to buy a voltage reducer for it, unless you can find a dealer who offers a 12 volt version. I've found that the active reducers sold by the dealers work fine. I can't remember if you need a different sending unit for 12 volts or not, but I think it probably does. The temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge are strictly mechanical and don't care about 6 volt or 12 volt. You can put the bulb at the end of the temp gauge tube in water that is boiling or near boiling to see if it works. Connect the oil pressure tubing up to a running engine to see if it registers. On the 1940 trucks, all of the graphics are printed on the inside of the large rectangular glass. I tried to wash mine, and it washed the printing off, so I had to buy a new printed glass. You can send the chrome outer trim off to be re-chromed. I painted the background of the cluster with old fashioned ruddy red primer. It isn't an exact match, but is in the ballpark, and it looks good with the other interior colors.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | Im sure that any speedo shop can replace your broken speedo needle. Or, you can probably do it yourself, if you can find one. Speedo's are often stuck from many years of sitting. I've had success with a tiny bit of light oil, letting it sit, and then very slowly trying to work it back and forth. I've found that they free up pretty easily, and work well afterward. Hopefully you'll also hear from some of the guys on here that are more knowledgeable than I am.
Last edited by Mike Burns; 09/18/2022 3:19 PM.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,457 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,457 | I can't remember if you need a different sending unit for 12 volts or not, but I think it probably does. Same sending unit will work assuming you have a good voltage reduction unit for the gauge.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 | Check out "Bowtie Bits". I got my gauges from them.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2022 Posts: 25 '40 Chevy 1/2t School Shop Project | | '40 Chevy 1/2t School Shop Project Joined: Sep 2022 Posts: 25 | Thanks for the help! Good type on the glass, glad I didn't wash off the inside! | | |
| |