The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1466693 09/16/2022 3:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
I took my gas tank out the other day. What are the pads behind it for and will it hurt to not use them. Also if they do need to be installed where do they go? The truck is a 1967 C10, tanks in the cab behind the seat.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The pads are anti-squeak pads, they prevent metal to metal contact, making the cab quieter.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
Thanks, what I thought but wasn’t sure. I’m assuming the go under the tank & behind the tank closer to the top of it. Mine fell and moved out of place when I removed the tank.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
My pads did the same thing. Not sure if I will be reusing them or replacing with something a little more durable like rubber?


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,820
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,820
I used 1/8" thick peel and stick roofing material for the pads (Mule Hide)., I cut the 3' x 6' strip off the end that's sticky on both sides where the roofing overlaps.

It stuck to the tank and the straps so can't move. I used it on the cradle as well.
Attachments
IMG_20210919_164829.jpg (116.15 KB, 163 downloads)
IMG_20210919_164905.jpg (95.14 KB, 163 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/16/2022 6:41 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
I used Sound Control Mat from LMC Truck on my doors, floors, and behind gas tank. It’s a silver foil look but it’s not visible behind bench seat anyway. Also used insulation mat on floor and made panels covered in vinyl for doors.


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
I used pieces of conveyor belt on my tank.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Originally Posted by 55shaker
I used pieces of conveyor belt on my tank.

I bought some of this for radiator support rubbers. I was thinking the same thing for the fuel tank.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
For what it is worth, my experience has been the most important pads are the ones at the bottom of the tank. The AD cab moves in ways you might not expect and it will over time (granted a lot of time but still important) cause the tank to wear through and leak gas constantly. On mine, I got a piece of 1/8 inch pure neoprene rubber from a hardware store that had some and it will probably never wear through. A friend of mine said he folded common pvc shower pan liner over three times and used that.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
blue67fleetside Used ordinary roofing tar paper,it is kind of lubricating and lasts well. Just folded it to fit,nice and quiet too.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
I actually used pieces of an old inner tube. Easy to cut, easy to fit, and durable. Not to mention, free.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0