The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, Swami29, Youngin' Tut 59, 1 invisible), 97 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,604
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14588 06/22/2003 9:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
Howdy, I just bought a 1954 235 motor that was pulled straight from a 1954 chev 1/2 ton. The casting numbers confirm its a 54. The truck was parked for a year maybe more before the current owner bought it. While it sat someone swiped the carb and manifolds. Supposedly it ran and drove fine before it was parked. I currently have a 1958 235 in my 41 and bought this motor to rebuild and eventually replace what I am running now.

This will be my first rebuild so I guess my question is where should I start? Should I tear it completely down first or should I clean it up, change the oil and try to start it before tearing it down?

#14589 06/23/2003 1:06 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you are going to tear it down completely, there is no point in running it first. I would only be running the engine if you were hoping on being able to do less than a complete rebuild.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#14590 06/23/2003 2:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 140
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 140
I have what I think may be a similar motor; mine has casting date November 10 1953. 235, pressure feed, "old" style water pump. A good motor!

I got mine "almost runnable", too. I pulled the head to inspect things. I lucked out! I measured the bore; it was .040" over, but virtually no ridge, so it had very few miles on its last overhaul. The bottom end looked good, but I did not pull the rods or mains - leave well enough alone.

The cam bearings had been replaced with .005" undersize; that it, smaller holes, and the cam had been reground to fit. So, new cam bearings for the new howard-pattern (M4F?) cam.

I have a fresh head for it - two, actually, as I have the head off the original 53 235 babbitt motor that died. So I plan to put it back together and run it as is, mostly. I am cleaning out decades of gunk as I go - lots of work with brushes and kerosene to dissolve it away, with two aluminum turkey pans to catch the solvent.

In your case, pull the head and inspect. At the least, you need to have the head stripped down to parts and inspected and magnafluxed. These things were prone to cracking, etc.

Then clean everything real good - 50 years is a lot of gunk build-up.

Good luck!
George
53 3600

#14591 06/23/2003 6:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
thanks I think I will pull the head and start there. its just so tempting to try to fire it up untouched! LOL. I needed some voices of reason to set me on the right path.

#14592 06/23/2003 8:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I pulled the head and the oil pan on my 54 when I first got it. All it needed was a good cleaning. No ridge at all and it has what looked like a fresh head.

I did find bent, old pushrods that I replaced. A bit of cleaning and a bit of paint and voila. A great running engine.

[img]http://www.angelswest.com/_borders/kansaskustoms.jpg[/img]


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0