Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,402 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 4 | My 1954 has the original engine, but no oil filter, why not? Does it need one? I guess after 85,000 miles it must not. Any reason they did not factory intasll a oil filter? Also I am thinking of putting in a electronic ignition, any idea's on that idea? Thanks Rick, This truck is new to me, and I have always had, MGA's, or 356 Porsche's so I am just learning how this truck works
Rick, Rusty, Lerma, MGA's, and a 1954 Chevy 3100.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | An oil filter was not standard equipment.
1qt and 2qt by-pass oil filters were available as RPO (Regular Production Option) in the original purchase or as an after delivery accessory, installed by the owner, dealer, friend, shop, etc. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Electronic Ignition is not needed. Just keep the present point/condenser/rotor maintained and life will be much simpler. Having said that, there is the “Cool” factor of a big honking GM style HEI hung on the side of the I-6. JMOðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | One of the reasons is cost, let's say GM calculated $5 per filter set-up, production is 250,000+ units a year. Adds up fast in a very competitive market. They would have known the return potential and most likely made out better with dealer supported accessory supply. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | I also would not bother to install electronic ign, unless I was going to highly modify the whole rig.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I also would not bother to install electronic ign, unless I was going to highly modify the whole rig. After installing a 6v Pertronix unit (for no good reason - it looked interesting), I agree with cmayna. In either case (points/Pertronix), on long trips I carry a completely-tested distributor "assembly" (including ignition/plug cables). I have never needed to use this, but it is a good "insurance policy". | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | An HEI allows a larger plug gap and a slightly colder plug than the original, it may be worth some gas mileage. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | Tim, Brad, and fellow 'Bolters -
Rick is the new owner of my '54 3104. The truck couldn't have gone to a more appreciative owner of classic original vehicles. Glad to see that he has discovered Stovebolt and your combined knowledge. I agree that points and condenser serves these old trucks just fine.
- Lonnie
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Hello, Lonnie,
Thanks for the post.
I think that Rick would have had a hard time finding a nicer vehicle.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 4 | I agree, I had been looking (low key) for over 8 years for this truck! I could not have found a better one! Thanks Lonnie for keeping it such original great condition! The moment I spotted it, I knew I had found it.
2 Dist. are a good idea, that way I can test the electronic ing. against the orig. one. I found on my MGA's that the electronic's dist. is better, It gives a hotter spark, easier starting and more reliable. and have a backup on long trips. After I installed it in the MGA it ran better and started eaiser. But maybe the careful timing I did with it was why? Rick
Rick, Rusty, Lerma, MGA's, and a 1954 Chevy 3100.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2020 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Oct 2020 Posts: 1 | Just an update...Lonnie had it, Ric bought it in 2017, later gave it to his son to sell in Colorado. Saw it on the internets in 2018 and bought it in October. Now I own it! In great condition for a '54! Added the oil filter canister to the engine, new clutch, fixed all the leaks, added the optional dashboard clock, radiator overflow canister, re-chromed the front bumper and added the running board non-slip treads (an honest to G_d dealer option!) It is still in stock style, runs great, lots of fun to take to the meet-ups.
Last edited by 54GreenMachine; 11/01/2021 5:57 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 1,652 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2017 Posts: 1,652 | Welcome! Many thanks for the update.
Mike
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | Hey "54GreenMachine" -
I occasionally return to Stovebolt (best forum on the net) to see what's up with old truck. I found your post. from two years ago.
I hope that you love the truck as much as Jo Ann and I did.
Looks like you've only made one post. If you see this, then you gotta post a pic of you, your wife, and the dogs in your Christmas card. PERFECT!
- Lonnie
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | |
| |