Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible),
136
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,266 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 | I have been doing reserach regarding options to convert both the front and rear brakes to disk on my 1949-50 3600 without changing the axles/hubs and retaining the 8 bolt wheel lug mounting system. My rear axle appears to be the Eaton full floating HO52 with Huck brakes where the drums slide off the hub (not pressed onto hub). I believe that Rustic Disk Brakes RDB1847CHV will work for the front ( https://www.rusticdiscbrakes.com/product-page/single-wheel-front-hub-front-disc-brake-kit); and Rustic Disk Brakes RDB2630EATGM will work for the rear ( https://www.rusticdiscbrakes.com/product-page/pre-1972-gm-8-lug-eaton-full-floating-rear-axle). I am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these conversion kits and can provide any insight regarding their fit and function. I am aware of other conversion kits on E-Bay that are for later model year trucks that the sellers indicate may be used on my vintage with modifications (drilling front spindles, or different rear mounting bracket) so if others have experience with either of those you would like to share it would also be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 Curmudgeon | | Curmudgeon Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 | No telephone number. E-mail only? Don't see much in spare parts listed so maybe they use stock GM rotors & calipers and farms-out the brackets and hardware bits. Doesn't say how long they have been in business.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM." | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | I read all. But I have had an AMC Pacer front suspension on my 54 for the last 12 years. And 45000 miles.
Last edited by WE b OLD; 06/26/2022 5:43 PM.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 | I posted an idea for you in your chassis painting thread..
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission | | | | | Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 | bouymaker, I got to their website through a "where to buy" on TSM's webpage ( https://www.tsmmfg.net/chevy-gmc-8-lug-truck-complete-front-disc-brake-kit-1847.html) but they also have limited contact information. When I did send a question via email I got a very timely response that was clearly not computer generated so that seemed positive. I agree that they are probably using standard GM parts (although probably not GM sourced) and suspect that they do not include that information in part because they want to sell the complete kit, not just the brackets. If at the end of the day I buy their kits I am anticipating that they would provide service parts information but I would plan to confirm that prior to purchasing. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 | They are probably standard Nova calipers, as are most other kits. The rotor is most likely proprietary? The five bolt hub kit uses a standard GM hub/rotor.
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 | That rotor with 8 holes looks a lot like a ford rotor for an early 2000s e250 and e350 full size cargo vans I have a couple in my shop and I always wondered if they would fit onto my 1 ton -s | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | OldCarKook at the oldgmc site installed the kit on the front of his 3/4 ton and he is very pleased with the setup. His post of May 6 2022 has photos of the installation. The rotor has been redrilled. It looks like a Mopar. And they furnished him a list of parts if he needs replacements. I am thinking very strongly of installing some of these kits on my 3/4 tons. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 Curmudgeon | | Curmudgeon Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 | Front kits are available. The OP wants disc brakes on the rear axle as well (see discussion "3600 Rear Axle").
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM." | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | The company offers a rear disc brake for 8 lug but they will not work with 15" wheels. 16" wheels are the smallest that will accommodate the rotor. Using a 16" Dexstar trailer wheel is a common way to get away from tube required tires. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 | Thanks, I was not planning to go with 15" wheels, 16" seems to be the most likely size but I have not made a decision yet.
I am in process of getting signed on to the oldgmc forum to be able to review OldCarKooks post regarding his installation, it sounds very interesting and good to hear that they furnished a parts list. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | If you message him, he will probably be glad to help you. He is the one who founded the site. I'm not sure if you can message right away. If not message me here and I will message him and tell him you are seeking help. He is very proud of his discs and he is the kind of guy who likes to help others. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2021 Posts: 1,382 | Thank you for the confirmation that the front disk brake conversion from TSM is a viable option. I am considering the rear conversion that they offer as well.
I have not be able to complete the registration process for the oldgmcteucks forum but will continue to work at that so that I can review your photos and story. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 21 | I am installing these on my '50 3600 from TSM (Rustic Brakes). The rotors are Duralast 54073 from E250 vans '99-'03, '07. E250 Superduty '04-'06. E350 Superduty '99-'07, E450 Superduty '98. Redrilled of course, they are for 9/16" wheel studs originally.
Last edited by coralhead; 07/11/2023 12:17 PM.
| | |
| |