The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (burgundybolt, Hotrod Lincoln, wilbur53, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
Folks, I have a 55.1 3100 and I purchased a parking brake control rod from The Truck Shop. It came with a spring (~7 in long) and spring extender(~10 in long), which is good because I didn’t have those. The spring is a beast and I can hardly extend it at all with my hands/arms. Anyway when I got this truck the seller said it had been in an accident and he replaced the chassis. I have no idea if the chassis is a 55 or if it even matters. On to my problem/question. When I go to install the spring & extender there are no holes that seem appropriate. I’m afraid to try to extend this spring a couple of inches because I’m afraid it will rip the spring tab off the control rod. I can drill a new hole but can anyone describe for me how much tension should be on the spring with the parking brake in the released position? My gut says just barely enough to get the spring
/extender installed because the spring is so strong


M. Hayden
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
MarkWH , do you have the Factory assembly manual? If so, take a look at Sect 5 , sheet 3.04 . It applies to both the 3100 and 3600 Models. Here's pics, hopefully will help. Spring does not appear to be under much tension when parking brake is released. Check cross shaft position.
Ron
Attachments
IMG_2756.jpg (44.2 KB, 84 downloads)
IMG_2754.jpg (30.59 KB, 85 downloads)
IMG_2755.jpg (29.09 KB, 84 downloads)
IMG_2758.jpg (46.67 KB, 78 downloads)
IMG_2759.jpg (38.11 KB, 77 downloads)

Last edited by Dusty53; 05/26/2022 7:10 PM.

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
Ronnie, Thanks for the response. I have the manual and I believe sect 5, sheet 3.00 applies to a left drive 3100. The page you referenced is for right hand drive with a hand-brake. However, I agree with you that the spring should have only enough tension (when released) to keep the parts from rattling around. I’ll drill a hole for the extender that gets me there. Have a good holiday weekend.

Mark


M. Hayden
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by MarkWH
Ronnie, Thanks for the response. I have the manual and I believe sect 5, sheet 3.00 applies to a left drive 3100. The page you referenced is for right hand drive with a hand-brake. However, I agree with you that the spring should have only enough tension (when released) to keep the parts from rattling around. I’ll drill a hole for the extender that gets me there. Have a good holiday weekend.

Mark

Oh darned, you are correct. I got into too big a hurry and ended up being zero help regarding the FAM. Anyway, the photo of my 1954 3604 should represent the parking brake spring at rest. Let me know if you need specific pics of the parking brake set-up. You have a good weekend as well.

Last edited by Dusty53; 05/27/2022 3:43 AM.

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
That spring is a booger to get on. It is strong. As far as where to drill a hole, all it has to be is close to inline with the rod end.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0