The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Needing advice on my bed refinish project. I'm replacing the front panel and rear cross sill, angle strips, bed strips and bed wood. The welding of the rear sill to the bedsides creates a problem with refinishing. I suppose I could shoot the bed sides, front panel, and rear sill with epoxy primer, assemble the parts and then sand off the primer where the rear sill gets welded to the bedsides , weld it up and apply epoxy primer to those areas that were sanded/ welded. Then complete the prep and final finish coat. What do the experienced bolters suggest?

Last edited by Dusty53; 04/27/2022 2:52 PM.

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
That's the way I plan on doing my bed. I'll likely shoot color on the bed metal parts supported on sawhorses once assembled (and the rear cross sill welded in.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Kevin , thanks for the input. By the time I'd finished writing the post I'd convinced myself to do the same but wanted to get some advice. I noticed that the bolts on the bed front panel were the ocean green paint color under that red paint some previous owner had painted. I also noticed ocean green paint all along the bottom of the front cross sill which tells me that the bed was assembled when painted at the factory. There was even green paint under the bed to frame bolt large washers and remnants of the green paint on some of the bed boards. When I got the truck there was a sheet of steel welded in the bed on top of the bed boards. This is almost too much fun. Anyway, you have fun up there in Alaska!


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Yep same here.

I am priming and painting, assembling, welding, and then painting again after weld area prep.

I think painting is important to stop moisture from sitting between panels. From what i can tell GM assembled, primed and painted leaving the metal between no protection.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller
Yep same here.

I am priming and painting, assembling, welding, and then painting again after weld area prep.

I think painting is important to stop moisture from sitting between panels. From what i can tell GM assembled, primed and painted leaving the metal between no protection.

That's a recipe for rust! I'll pay close attention to what I see when I disassemble the rest of the bed.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
Here is another option if you are concerned with rust around the weld. Mine is a fleetside but the assembly is similar. I did not want to weld the rear sill to the bedsides on my fleetside so used this procedure. Assemble the complete bed sheet metal and tighten all fasteners exactly how I wanted it. Then, removed the rear sill bolts one at a time and drilled them out to a close fit 3/8 instead of the original 5/16 and tighten a 3/8 bolt in the same hole. Do each bolt one at a time making sure the bedside does not move relative to the rear sill. By doing this I was able to disassemble the bed, paint, and reassemble in the exact same position without any welding. I have driven the truck thousands of miles over the years and the bed sides are still lined up. Your mileage may vary.

Mark

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by 59 fleet
Here is another option if you are concerned with rust around the weld. Mine is a fleetside but the assembly is similar. I did not want to weld the rear sill to the bedsides on my fleetside so used this procedure. Assemble the complete bed sheet metal and tighten all fasteners exactly how I wanted it. Then, removed the rear sill bolts one at a time and drilled them out to a close fit 3/8 instead of the original 5/16 and tighten a 3/8 bolt in the same hole. Do each bolt one at a time making sure the bedside does not move relative to the rear sill. By doing this I was able to disassemble the bed, paint, and reassemble in the exact same position without any welding. I have driven the truck thousands of miles over the years and the bed sides are still lined up. Your mileage may vary.

Mark
Thanks Mark!


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0