The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, Southerntruck, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 9
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 9
I have a 1956 3600 with a 235 that has a cracked block. I also have a 235 from 54-55 on a pallet that I was hoping to swap in but there appears to be some differences. The main parts I'm worried about are motor mounts, manifolds, and transmission. Does anyone here know if those parts will interchange or what it would take to make that swap? Thanks in advance for any help.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
If the front of the 1954-55 engine does not have the mounting holes, they can be drilled as follows:
https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/motor_mount_front/index.html
https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/motormount_235.html

Engine to transmission no problem.
To simplify explanation use the bell housing, flywheel, clutch parts and starter from the 1956.
Chevrolet changed from 6 volts to 12 volts beginning 1955 2nd. This affects the number of teeth on the flywheel.

If the 1954-55 is a car engine, it will most likely have an automatic choke carburetor but you can swap that out.

The last change in the exhaust manifold design was in 1951 so you should be okay.
Check that the exhaust dampener works. Turn by hand, it should rotate and spring back when released.
If not you may want to swap manifolds.

I would make a cradle for the 1954-55 and test that it runs okay before installing.
Details can be provided.

Last edited by buoymaker; 03/20/2022 5:38 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 9
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 9
Awesome info, thanks. Just for a little clarification, the 56 that's in the truck has The side front motor mounts while the 54-55 has the front mount under the balancer. Would I be drilling the crossember for the front mount or the 54 block for the side mounts?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The water pump on a 1954-55 is shorter and the fan is 3” higher.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Matt B you are correct. I had to go look at my 1955.
The holes for "side mount front" are not in the 1954 and 1955 1st casting.

Dave is correct about the water pump.

It looks like I just went through an exercise in futility on my part.
It would take motor mount fabrication, a water pump pulley diameter change (rotational speed) then adding an electrical fan for cooling.
Once you add up the price tag, it's simply not worth it.

I was really hoping you could use that engine.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0