Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 | I have a 48 Loadmaster 1 1/2 that is now up and running. I reciently replaced the Master Cylinder, Flexable brake Lines(2) on the front and the one on the rear plus the two front wheel cylinders on this truck. When I replaced the Master Cylinder I did not see any wiring harness or switch that would operate the brake lights when the peddel was applied. I would like to add that this truck has only one tail light on the driver side but it has a turn signal accessory mounted on the Coloum. The wires running from the frame to the rear are orginal Bare wire and are not connected to anything. so much for color cordination.
P.S. I did not Bench bleed the MC I installed it and used a vacume hose and a coke bottle to bleed my brake system. By keeping the bottle half full of fluid, I was able to push out the dirty fluid out of the lines. By keeping the MC full I could push out ALL the old fluid and Air out of the system, which NOW works! :p
You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 | The brake light switch is mounted to the firewall. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | N D Loadmaster, I think InkyO5 meant It's "suppose" to be on the firewall..maybe it fell off and the PO didn't think it important to let other folks know he was putting his brakes on. It is a funny looking mechanical switch under the toeboard. The brake pedal arm hits it as you apply the binders. I would like to see a picture of your Loadmaster.
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 | I am a little embarrased to list a photo of the truck at this point. My wife ask me if Rust was a color option in "48" I will see if I can get one posted in the next week. FYI I had to take the hood off because the brackets that bolt to the hood rusted out. This made it easer to work under the hood. I got to figure out this one by winter or I will have snow in the motor compartment.
Thanks for the input
You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | If you have only One light, you won't have signals! You would need to buy two more and mount one each side for signals only. OR....another taillight/stop for other side AND still need signal lights, Unless your turn switch has seven wires. On those the one wire from signal switch goes to the brake switch, under floor toe pan as said. It's real simple switch, with arm that gets held in "off" by the brake pedal arm, then springs to "on" when you push them away from the floor/switch area. Whenever I get old truck, I buy one of those $25 or so trailer kits with two lights, side markers and wires. I also get some of that corrugated split harness tube to run it in. Use zip ties or metal or plastic clamps to bolt to side of frame, on inside. There are lots of holes to use. OR, can zip tie it to the brake or fuel lines running in same area also. I keep the trailer connector on and all. Run it up the engine bay area and go off of it with the smaller length mating connector to run to the fusebox and switchs. Works good everytime! Keep the Yellow and Green on correct sides like instructions, and you'll be all set. There is a place on-line for signal wiring diagrams, but I"m not sure address. Anyone? Should be some notes in the past, do a search here for them.
Rusty hood hinges??? Rust way up there??? Wow, how bad is the rest of this rig?? That's a new rust area to me. Usually the cowl is bad, but lower on sides.
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Try Google,typing in "signal stat wiring" there's some diagrams there that tell how the add on kits hook up. speed PS-it's fairly common for the old stop light switch to be disconnected,due to the tendency,once worn over years'time,for the stoplights to stay on and run the battery down. That was the case on my '57 GMc;I hooked it up and it worked great until the next heavy rain,then the battery went dead. finally tracked it down to the stoplight switch getting wet and the contacts inside bridged during the night,running the battery down. I recently changed it over to a micro-switch;it's weather-proof. Speed | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 | THANKS FOR THE WIREING DIAGRAM! I will be heading to town for replacement wire today. I will let you know how it turns out. I see where the switch is mounted on the fire wall for the brakes. It was hanging on by the wires in the engine compartment.
You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
| | |
| |