The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, SNOYL, Wayne67vert, Barry Martak), 101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,482
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1442391 02/23/2022 10:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
I am trying to correct the hood to fender gaps on a 47 Chevy 3/4t.Currently I have replaced the core support with the Bitchin Sheetmetal product and I have it shimmed up in the front 1" lowering it makes the gaps larger in the front. I've got the back of the fenders as high as they can go. I originally thought I had the wrong core support but it fit about the same as this one.
Out of ideas, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/39924/filename/pas center.jpg[/img]
Attachments
pas center.jpg (94.27 KB, 152 downloads)
driver side.jpg (149.66 KB, 152 downloads)
pass top fr.jpg (129.73 KB, 153 downloads)
driver front.jpg (162.82 KB, 142 downloads)


old guy with old trucks
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
With the fenders pushed down all the way down at the read, what does your gap look like where the rear edge of the hood meets the cowl?
In order for the front clip to line up properly, you must first make sure that the hood is adjusted correctly. The fenders play no part in the correct positioning of the hood. It is the other way around, that is to say that you adjust the fenders to match up with the correctly adjusted hood.
I am not suggesting that any of this is easy, nor fun. Setting the hood is job #1.
I can advise you further after you can get back to me about your hood fitment.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Pictures of the hood to cowl gap, both top and sides, would help a bunch.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks for the replies, with the rear of the fenders pushed down there is a gap a little less than .5 inch. The photos make the gap hood to cowl appear large it measures 1/16-1/8
Attachments
PASS REAR.jpg (42.68 KB, 105 downloads)
REARDR FENDER.jpg (45.5 KB, 105 downloads)
t3.jpg (46.14 KB, 101 downloads)


old guy with old trucks
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
Chuck2213,

I’ve got a 51, 3100 that I installed the Bitchin Sheetmetal Products radiator support and inner fenders on. If you only used the radiator support we may be comparing apples to oranges but In my case it worked out great after some fiddling. With the combination of parts I used the radiator support had to be slid pretty far up on the frame brackets to get the correct spacing at the hood to cowl area. As you mentioned, your does look wider than an 1/8” in the pictures.

I’ve only done this once, so I’m not an expert on the alignment of the hood and fenders but I think you need to get your grill in place (loosely) to orientate the fenders better.

Are the hood and driver side fender after market parts?


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Your hood looks good. It looks like your fenders need to go back towards the cab a little. After that, there is no law that says you can't "adjust" holes to get the fenders where you need them.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
D.B, the hood and DS fender are aftermarket still working with it trying to make it look better.


old guy with old trucks
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,321
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,321
Are the aftermarket fenders any good ,I seen a add on another site with some aftermarket fenders that were cut and welded to make them fit ?


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,491
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,491
Here is a link to a front clip alignment procedure previously written by 52Carl that I made into a word document and submitted to “Tech Tips” (Not added as of yet).

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...ort-installed-1954-3600.html#Post1406026


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0