The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (walter74, Southerntruck, Jon G, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 95
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 95
Checking out an engine from local ad. From the numbers so far I` ve deduced its a 235 from 58 to 62 out of a car w/powerglide. Guy says it was rebuilt and never installed...been sitting in his shop undercover for 30 years. $500.00 It`s a 30 mile drive over to check it out but he could be negotiable on the price. Pics don`t look all that great so I wanted to see for myself. Also check out if it`s got oil in it (says it turns over) what parts are there etc. I`ve chased a few of these motors and currently have a couple That I`m starting to spend time on. One 62 with solid lifters that likely needs a rebuild and a 58 that very possibly needs a broken ring replaced. Without bringing it home and putting it on the run stand, is there any other items I could check out to help confirm it`s worth risking money and possible banishment to the shop over?


1953 3100 Pu
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
I think I seen that on Facebook .it looked suspicious in the picture that was posted as in the comments it was dirty and greasy . I would check for new gaskets ,take valve cover off .receipts


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Take a battery and jumper cables and a spark plug wrench. Take your compression gauge. If the guy will let you do a basic compression test. It can be done with the engine setting on the floor.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Swami29 Better spray the valve guides and be sure they are free,if you do the compression test,also watch for muddobber nests. Would give it some marvel mystery oil to help ! In the cylinders before compression test.

Last edited by fixite7; 02/21/2022 3:20 PM. Reason: addition
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Is the guy named Barnum? I would be extremely suspicious of that one, unless he's willing to go to the effort to let you hear it run. No, don't put a lot of work into it yourself- - - -either insist that he put it in running shape or ask for a BIG discount! I'm waiting for better weather to make a road trip to pick up two FREE 235's.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
T
Professional procrastinator
Professional procrastinator
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
How about an inspection camera in the spark plug hole to look at the cylinder walls. That would settle it real fast.


1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T short bed

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 162
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 162
$500.00 seems a bit steep for a 235. They can be found for less.


I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Rusty Heaps
$500.00 seems a bit steep for a 235. They can be found for less.


A good running 235 for $500 would be a good deal. A complete engine that needs to be gone through should be in the $75-100 range. Just my opinion, based on what I see here in the Midwest.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0