Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Good afternoon! My name is Kyle and I’m new to the stove bolt world. I recently inherited my fathers and I project. It is my grand pas all original 1951 gmc 100 with a 228. My father was an auto body man for the past 35 years in Washington and started working on this old girl unroll life threw me a curve ball leaving me to finish the project. I’m schedule to get the truck painted next year. While I am waiting I looking for your guys help in finding a reputable machinist that will rebuild my GM 228. I appreciate your time!
Fleischbein | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Why are you going to rebuild motor? What do you mean by "rebuild" ? Is it all apart? Frozen? Tried to start it? Are you "new" to motors and mechanics? or "new" to GMC or ? Not much experience in old trucks and motors? Are you planning on being a do-it-yourselfer or a having-it-done'er ?
What is your goal as far as type of finished truck?
1. Full original restoration? 2. Good daily driver? 3. Modified here and there? 4. Fix it up a little?
The process of finding a local machinist involves, here say, then possible past customers, then a visit to the shops. Do not leave the truck, leave the motor. Sounds like you are just wanting the motor to be "machined" and you will assemble. Being a GMC, there could be some specific motor internal parts. Don't know if any Chevy stuff fits. Be real sure all the parts are actually available, not just advertised as available. Rockauto may be your best bet. Normally you will have to buy some parts and take them to the machinist to measure. Some parts may have to be specified by the machinist depending on condition of bores and other surfaces.
Lots of motor builder members here. they will chime in.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Bartamos I appreciate you getting back to me. We got the motor running and driving 2 years ago. It’s complete right now and still in the truck. I am looking at options right now having someone rebuild it for me vs me doing it my self. I have only really helped my dad rebuild a engine when I was 16 and kinda lost on where to start. I would like to keep It pretty much all original and only convert it to a 12 volt. Thank you again | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | There may not be any reason to rebuild it, right? that is a can of expensive worms. So as my first question said "Why are you going to rebuild motor?" Do you just think that's what you do in a "restoration" or what? I can't, and no one can, help you if you don't read and answer EVERY question. Carefully. Each one. Go back and review. Please answer the questions.... because I'm trying to help with:
"kinda lost on where to start."
Already answered about machinist, sort of, until you answer all questions. Thanks, glad to help with some advise.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | If it is converted to 12 volts, can use the original 6 volt starter, just do not ‘lay’on it. If a 12 volt starter is used, have to change the flywheel, 6 and 12 volt starters require different number of teeth on the flywheel.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 | Interesting. My used 235 engine including flywheel from Shwanke Engines came with 12v starter and generator. I am keeping my 6v system. My rebuilt 6v starter cranks slow but it does start. Maybe my Shwanke flywheel is for 6v but doesn't care if 12v starter is used...not sure.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Good morning. It very well may not need a complete rebuild. I just remember my dad talking about rebuilding it so Im pretty much just Fallowing his wishes. All I know is it needs all new gaskets and some carb work which is a good place to start. I spoke to a few machine shops and got a few quotes and know it’s not going to be cheap. I just thought it would be a good idea to get it rebuilt so I know what exactly is done to it and while I was able to afford to. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Buoymaker haha that is funny. It means meat bone in German!
I have heard the same and talk to a few shops that we’re trying to tell me to just put a 270 in it. It’s the original motor that came with the truck and thinking I would like to keep it the original truck that my dad grew up in. I will look in to those gmc forums. I appreciate your input! | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 | I'm with Bartamos. Why rebuild the engine? If it's running and doesn't have significant problems, just clean it up and fix oil leaks if necessary.
On my project, the engine ran when I got it and sounded good. It had a few serious leaks, such as the timing cover seal, which prompted me to fix that and replace a few other gaskets. I did pull the rocker assembly off for cleanup and inspection, which led to the discovery of a bad lifter (upper section loose from the body), so replaced that. It got a fresh paint job, and that's about it. If it gives me trouble later, that will be fixed as needed. I expect it will last me for the rest of my life.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 | As others have said, rebuilding a 228 will be quite expensive and some of the parts may either not be available or not available in the size you need.
In 1977 I had a GMC 100 with a 228. It was a fine pickup...had enough power, rode well, sat straight and had no rust anywhere. I would compare the 228 to the 235. Actually for whatever reason the 228 seemed a bit less prone to suffer rear main seal leaks. It is just like the AD or Task Force trucks: the steering/suspension/braking are the 3 most important things on which to focus attention. Those are what can get you into trouble if they're not in top nick. Good luck!
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | buoymaker,
If you think 302’s are gas hogs, perhaps just need a stronger throttle return spring!
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | "We love to argue over the trivial". I would argue with that.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 | Go to a strictly GMC forum and ask what they think about the 228. I've read that they think the engine is underpowered but is usable at lower speeds (not expressway) and works okay on a farm. Most who have a choice would rather have the 248 or better yet the 270 inline 6. The 302 is a gas hog. All these engines will cost much more to rebuild than a Chevy 350 V8. It's sad but that's life. It depends on what you want, 100% original or have something that looks original but works better.
You can use a Chevrolet 216, 235 or 261 engine but to a real GMC lover, the engine has to be GMC.
My 2 pennies.[/quote]
I have a 228 in a very heavy fire truck. It is fine for the prementioned low speed work but has limitations due to the vehicles weight. I was having some issues with the 228 and was told that it required a top end rebuild . After 2500 and the rebuild, it doesn’t have any more power than it did before. It is the smallest GMC 6 built and was told to get a 270 or 302. The 270s are easier to find and almost produce the power of the 302 with less fuel usage. Either way you go between a 228 and 302 rebuild , it will be expensive.
Remember the bell housings are different between CHEV and GMC and if you find a military 302, there are many more issues that will come to light when installing it in a Chevrolet. This and oldgmctrucks forums are the places to get great knowledge and info. Do your homework, talk to the experts and go with the consensus.
Last edited by pdlightning; 01/20/2022 1:36 AM. Reason: Double tap
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 Bondo Artiste | | Bondo Artiste Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 | 10k miles here on a 302 with dual carbs. It’s not a gas hog. 18-24 mpg.
~ Phillip 1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project 1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic 1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25 1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY! 1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 Curmudgeon | | Curmudgeon Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 1,660 | I apologize Fleischbein. I stepped on toes and it messed up your post. Whatever you do, please don't let it put you off. I'm bowing-out on this topic.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM." | | | | | Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 47 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 47 | Go to the oldgmctrucks.cpm site an you will be able to get all the info needed to repair your 50. You may be encouraged to go with a 270. easier to find parts and way more power. I have 1 in my 40 GMC and am very pleased. Good luck on your project. Where are you located in Wa? Joe
just retired and finally making headway on my project truck. 1940 GMC AC152.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Go to the oldgmctrucks.cpm site . . oldgmctrucks.com (not cpm) oldgmctrucks.com | | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Thank you! I appreciate all of your input and and think I’m going to just clean her up and fix some leaks and see where I’m at. I’m sure I’ll have questions when I get going! Thank you again! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | 10k miles here on a 302 with dual carbs. It’s not a gas hog. 18-24 mpg. How do you get that kind of MPG? You shut the truck off while going down the hills? Is that the mileage of the towing vehicle pulling the trailer which your GMC is on? 18-24 MPG seemingly defies Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, E=mc2. Inquiring minds would like to know.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 9 | Gmc-is-me I live out on Camano island on the wet side of the state haha. Scheduled to get the truck painted by a family friend in your neck of the woods next year. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | How do you get that kind of MPG? You shut the truck off while going down the hills? Is that the mileage of the towing vehicle pulling the trailer which your GMC is on? 18-24 MPG seemingly defies Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, E=mc2. Inquiring minds would like to know. Answer: Overdrive...................
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 Bondo Artiste | | Bondo Artiste Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 | The overdrive helps but I only use it when on the highways. Most of driving is around town, and it’s pretty hilly here.
Bottom line is it’s well tuned, and I don’t drive it like a speed demon.
~ Phillip 1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project 1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic 1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25 1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY! 1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO | | |
| |