The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1437736 01/18/2022 2:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 74
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 74
Looking to replace the wiring harness for a 54 GMC 150-25 truck. I want to make the harness myself. Debating if I should convert everything to 12v or stay stock? What type of wire should I be looking for?
Need to find someone to rebuild my gauges and will specify either 6 or 12v, like to either rebuild the generator to run 12v or find one that is stock looking. Somewhere I saw a site to rebuild the generator to run 12v, cannot find it.
Also debabting on doing a frame off restore or just get it running and safe to drive then worry about it later.
Open to suggestions and links.
Thanks a Million


1954 GMC 150-24 Truck
The Stovebolt Collective Weighs In
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,289
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,289
Recommend you get it safe and drive it ! Then after a few weeks / months / years if you still feel the need to restore it.....then go for it. I believe more than one person started down the "restore it first route" and never made the trip because they just got wore down and lost enthusiasm. If you drive it for awhile and enjoy it, you'll have that experience and memory to help keep you on track for a restoration....

On the wiring, you can reproduce the correct colors and wire gauge using the wiring diagram. The 6V wiring will handle the 12V with no issues as will the starter.

Ron


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 74
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 74
More I thought about it the more I am just thinking of making it drivable and enjoy it like you say. Gives me time to enjoy and more research on the truck to figure out what I want to do with it. I'd love to keep it original and do have the original 248 engine, just hard to find the parts to rebuild, etc. Need to find more info on what to do to convert to 12v.

Most of my driving is very local in a small town, work is a mile away as the nearest store about 5 miles. All driving in low speed roads, just need to cross the highway.


1954 GMC 150-24 Truck
The Stovebolt Collective Weighs In
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Stovebolt has a Tech Tip on how to convert to 12V. Click on the Tech Tip button in the menu bar at the top of the page. Scroll down to find the 6V to 12V conversion tip.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0