The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, John Dlugos, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Oswald, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1434070 12/19/2021 1:51 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I purchased a 1949 (1950) Chevy 3600 truck that appears to be in original configuration with an in-line 6-cylinder engine and 4 speed floor shift transmission. The title says it is a 1949 but the serial number decoding indicates it is actually a 1950. The shock configuration (tubular type) appears to confirm the 1950 rather than 1949 vintage (see photos attached). The overall thought is to have a great looking functional truck that I could drive and take to car shows.

I am in process of disassembly to identify what needs work (primarily body rust repair in the typical locations) and developing my project plans. The original concept was to convert the drivetrain to utilize a SBC 383, coupled to a NV3500 transmission, with a revised ratio (4.11) in the original rear axle, update the brakes to disk front and rear, but retain the original suspension and axle mounting/springs with the wheels and tires updated to more recent technology. An alternative concept is to retain the original 6-cylinder engine and transmission and basically restore more or less to original. I would probably still upgrade the front, and possibly rear brakes to disk as well as update the wheels and tires to more recent technology.

I suspect that there a number of opinions regarding the two concept paths and would appreciate input before I decide which path to take.
Attachments
DSC_0440.jpg (231.45 KB, 713 downloads)
DSC_0444.jpg (220.59 KB, 709 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/15/2025 2:13 AM. Reason: Added as found photo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1434326 12/21/2021 10:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Plan for bed sides: determine location of existing box side angle strips, remove original strips, repair box sides as needed, purchase and install new box side angle strips.

Plan for cab: establish correct cab to frame spacing with front and rear cab mounting points secured, remove rusted floor sections and replace with patch panels (one area at a time), then remove cab from frame to remove rusted cab corners and replace with patch panels. More information in Sheet Metal Shop area.

Engine ID reported to be a 235 made between 1957 and 1962 for the passenger cars with 3-speed transmissions. T = Tonawanda Engine Plant; 8 = Month (August); 06 = Day; A = Regular 235 for passenger cars with 3-speed transmission. Subsequent engine block (3737004) casting and cylinder head (3866848) cast numbers determined. Also located tag that indicates it is bored 0.060 oversize, have 0.010 undersize rod journals, and I believe 0.010 undersize crank journals. Sounds like it is not worth keeping but may be able to sell all or parts. More information in Engine Shop Area.

Last edited by WICruiser; 02/26/2022 11:07 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Conflicted regarding powertrain direction.

I have a NV3500 from a 1995 GMC Sierra 4WD (with the transfer case) but adaption to 2WD is a challenge. Considering using the NV3500 with an adapter to the original mid-drive shaft (torque tube) but requires parts and machining to end up with a two-piece drive shaft that may not be ideal. Locating a manual transmission with OD for a 2WD truck application appears to be challenging and possibly expensive. Clutch actuation from the pedal to the throw out bearing will also be challenging.

Automatic transmissions seem to be readily available but newer versions are electronic which raises the question of doing a complete LS engine and transmission installation rather than using the 1991 350/383 engine option. If I go the LS route, I could purchase either an engine/transmission combination with the wiring and ECUs but programing the ECUs for the existing rear axle ratio etc. would require something I don’t know how to do. I could also consider purchasing a wrecked truck to obtain the required LS engine/transmission parts and possibly some additional items such as rear axle, seats, steering column, etc.

Anyone out there that has done an LS swap with electronic automatic transmission that could provide insight regarding fit issues and ECU programming issues would be appreciated.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
PM BarnFind49


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Located an NV3500 2wd transmission and plan to purchase/pick up 1/23/2022.

The engine machine shop has confirmed that my 350 block is okay, next step is to determine what block machining is required.

After decisions are made about the bore size need to work on ordering engine parts (including decision regarding 350 or 383 displacement). First blush is to go with the 383 but depending on heads and cam the increased compression ratio could be a concern (would like to retain regular gas).

Appears my driveline direction is taking shape with the 350/383 SBC engine, NV3500 manual transmission, etc. The existing (original) rear axle ratio will result in higher engine rpm at 60 mph cruise than optimum but with taller tires should be acceptable.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
It has been cold here in WI so I have generally been limited to working on fenders, etc. that I can easily carry from the back shed where the truck is located to a heated garage. Primarily working on rust repair and banging out some of the larger dents. Overall the fenders are in good shape but that doesn't mean that there aren't rust issues to be resolved, primarily at the bottom edges, and some cracks.

When the weather has allowed I have started working on bracing my door openings prior to removal/replacement of floor sections and cowl panels. I have ordered and received patch panels for the floor, inner and outer cowl, fuel filler opening, and rear cab corners. My plan remains to do as much of the floor and cowl repair as possible with the cab mounted to the frame, then remove the cab to complete the cab work and also work on the frame. The frame appears to be in good condition but with all the grease and grim accumulated over the years I will not really know until I can get it cleaned up. I did find the driver's side rear running board bracket is broken below the top mounting rivets so I need to decide if I am going to repair it in place or remove it for repair.

I picked up a set of seats from a 1999 Chevy truck that include the integrated seat belts. The front and two sides of the original seat riser were previously removed. Setting the seats in roughly their intended position I think I want to raise the seats roughly 1 1/2 inches above the existing cab floor with their seat tracks against the remaining original rear seat riser. with approximately 6" between the seats. I am developing a plan for a combination seat riser/floor reinforcement structure but continuing to work through the details to ensure both structure and safety.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
We have not had the best luck with the NV 3500 (or T5) trans in anything with a lot of torque and/or big rubber. Fine for cruising or showing but iffy if hammered. As far as clutch actuation is concerned the factory set up from the 60-62 Chevy pickup hydraulic system can be used or from early 90's Chevy pickups that came with the NV 3500. We used the McCloed after market hydraulic TO bearing and plumbed it in. Concerning overdrive transmissions one can still pickup the old BW 3sp OD unit at swap meets for $250-$500 and it is as strong as the T5 or 3500 and gives a final gear of 3.05 with a 4.56 or 2.88 with the 4.11. Just make sure the solenoid is good before purchase. I came to Texas 60 years ago from Minnesota and can relate to wintertime difficulties in working on old rides. First winter in Texas found out it's WAY easier to shovel sunshine.


Evan
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Coilover, thanks for your input regarding the transmission. I realize that the NV3500 is somewhat limited regarding torque capacity but I have had some experience with it behind a SBC in another project and I think it should be okay for my plans for the truck. I will look for the early 90's factory clutch setup that you mentioned.

Continuing to work on patching minor rust, crack issues on sheet metal parts that I can move into my heated shop area. Considering the truck looked pretty solid as I dig into it every part seems to have some rust or crack that needs to be repaired. At least I can continue to work on the project a few hours each day and feel like it's not just waiting for warmer weather.

I ordered the rotating assembly parts required to build a 383 SBC and the machine shop is machining the block as required to clear the rods. I order dished pistons to keep the compression ratio in the 9:1 range so that I have a chance to run regular fuel rather than premium but still have not decided on cylinder heads or cam for the engine build. Unfortunately the parts I ordered are not expected to be available until May so the engine build will probably be conflicting with the cab, frame, etc. work I need to due during the warmer months.

I am working on the cab when the weather cooperates (not often) but have braced the door openings and made some preliminary plans regarding how much of the floor, firewall, inner and outer cowl panels, etc. to cut out.

Unfortunately the project is at a stage where I have a thousand ideas of things I need to consider and no ability to actually move forward on them because they are dependent on getting the cab work done enough to remove the cab from the frame, getting the frame cleaned and painted, etc. I probably need to create a detailed action plan to lay out the sequence of things that need to be done so that I don't loose track of things given the large number of sub-project activities that interact.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Started the cab patch panel work today by cutting out the floor, firewall, inner, and outer cowl panels on the passenger side. More details in the body and paint section.

I picked up the cylinder block from the machine shop and dropped off the original cylinder heads for cleaning, valve job, etc. Looking at options regarding accessory mounting (see Hi-Pro section) so that when I get the parts to start engine assembly I know what water pump rotation and length to buy.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1447094 04/05/2022 12:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Still plugging along on the cab repair and appear to have decided on a path forward for the passenger side. Still a fair amount of work to be done but progress is being made.

I picked up the cylinder heads from the machine shop and am now waiting for the rotating assembly parts (expected in early May) to move forward with the engine build.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1447224 04/06/2022 12:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
We bolters love pictures! You know the saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words”!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
WICruiser #1448682 04/19/2022 12:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I welded in the panels on the passenger side. I still need to do some work but decided to move on to the driver's side repairs.

For more details and pictures please refer to the Body and Paint Shop Area.

Last edited by Phak1; 11/12/2023 7:55 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1448807 04/20/2022 11:48 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I understand that the preferenc is to post pictures etc. regarding project progress here rather than the Body and Paint Shop Area so in the future I will be posting more here and less in the various project sections.

Last edited by Phak1; 11/12/2023 7:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1449207 04/24/2022 12:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am working on the driver's side floor and cowl panels now and have them screwed in place. Other than the fit issues between the floor and the inner cowl and the 1/2" gap between the driver's and passenger side floor panels it is going fairly well. I fit checked the door and after a self induced problem was resolved the fit looks pretty good so I plan to continue my efforts to get the floor and cowl panels weled in place (probably several steps and another door fit check along the way).
Attachments
20220423_104829.jpg (266.36 KB, 369 downloads)
20220423_104838.jpg (170.56 KB, 372 downloads)
20220423_104847.jpg (149.44 KB, 373 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1449872 04/29/2022 12:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Driver's side floor and cowl panels screwed in place, door fit confirmed. Next step is to fill all the "extra" holes for features not being used (parking brake, clutch & brake pedal, etc.), add filler piece for center gap and upper left corner of floor/firewall.

Once I have the floor and cowl panels in place I plan to move on to fabrication of the seat riser/mounting bracket. th eoriginal seat riser had been removed (mostly) by someone prior and the remaining portion (rear) is modified. My plan is to tie the rear of the new seat mounting braket to the remaining portion and also the floor and door latch pillars.
Attachments
20220428_090131.jpg (213.01 KB, 345 downloads)
20220428_090203.jpg (299.89 KB, 344 downloads)
20220428_090207.jpg (282.84 KB, 347 downloads)
20220428_090216.jpg (246.57 KB, 341 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1450521 05/04/2022 12:01 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have the initial welding completed for the driver's side floor and cowl panels. I closed up most of the holes in the floor that I do not anticipate being used prior to installation.

I started on my seat mounting bracket and checked the seat position relative to the steering column firewall hole/dash mounting and foot position related to the floor and all seems good. The seats are from a 99 Silverado with integrated seat belts and the seat bracket will provide 1 1/2 inch rise to get the seat cushion approximately at the factory seat height. The seat mounting bracket will be attached to the floor and the rear original seat riser (only remaining part) with the seat mounting bolts going through the bracket and floor to further secure everything. The front mounting bolts will require the bracket to be shimmed from the floot due to the recess formed in the floor pan but the intent is for the final bolt column to be solid to avoid any deflection of the floor pan related to the mounting bolts.
Attachments
20220503_101724.jpg (374.64 KB, 328 downloads)
20220503_101731.jpg (287.13 KB, 324 downloads)
20220503_101949.jpg (293.17 KB, 321 downloads)
20220503_101756.jpg (218.78 KB, 322 downloads)
20220503_102018.jpg (246.36 KB, 318 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1451213 05/10/2022 12:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have the seat frame built and placed, bolted using seat mounting bolts (6 of 8). I plan to paint the bottom side of the frame and the floor area that will be covered prior to welding in the frame. The plan is to weld the frame to the remaining original seat riser at the rear, the door latch posts, as well as the floor at the front edge of both cross angles. The inner front seat mounting bolt area is high enough above the floor that nuts were welding into the frame rather than going through the floor. The rear seat mounting bolts required a single washer on the bottom of the frame to make up for the thickness of the cross angle, but the outer front mounting bolt locations required a stack of 6 washers to be welded in place as a spacer to make up the gap to the floor. All bolts that go through the floor are being secured with large, thick fender washers to spread the load on the floor. I had considered welding the washers to the floor but have decided against that due to concern that the welds would cause more harm than good.

Once the seat frame is welded in place I plan to remove the cab from the frame to allow the bottom side floor and cowl panel welding etc. to the cab as well as work on the frame.
Attachments
20220509_162452.jpg (290.36 KB, 299 downloads)
20220509_162511.jpg (306.71 KB, 288 downloads)
20220509_162537.jpg (187.65 KB, 293 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1451701 05/15/2022 12:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I got the seat frame welded in place and proceeded to pull the cab off the frame. I used a cherry picker (engine hoist) to lift the cab from the two new front outside mouting bolt locations which seemed to be fine until I got the cab clear of the frame and the lack of a third lift point allowed the cab to rotate. I ws able to get the cab onto a dolly I made with a pallet but then proceeded to tip the cab on its back to allow finishing the welding of the floor and cowl panels. Once the front area work is complete I plan to flip it onto the firewall to allow work on the rear cab corner area that also needs attention.

I plan to pressure wash the frame and remove anything (pedals, brake lines, etc.) prior to sand blasting and painting the frame. I do need to resolve a front brake issue as it generally rolls free but occasionaly the brake engages and prevents the wheel from rotating.

Biggest challenge now with the cab off the frame and engine build parts expected in the near future will be scheduling time to work on all three fronts (frame, cab, and engine) in the most efficient way. Ideally I will be able to do an initial engine/transmission fit check to determine what I need to do about the original rear engine mount before I get too far into the frame painting portion of the project. To faciliate the confirmation of engine/transmission vs. cab I may need to be able to temporarily put the cab back on the frame so I need to develop a better lifting plan that keeps the cab level next time.
Attachments
20220514_110123.jpg (306.22 KB, 271 downloads)
20220514_110148.jpg (408.71 KB, 277 downloads)
20220514_110159.jpg (406.37 KB, 272 downloads)
20220514_110214.jpg (376.35 KB, 271 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:41 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1451703 05/15/2022 12:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
A 4x4 attached to the end of the engine lift boom thru both door opening with doors off, works great for lifting the cab. You’ll have to lift and reset the 4x4 a couple of times to find the balance point. Once balanced, secure it with ratchet straps.

Here is a link on how one member, ‘klhansen’ did it.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...or-not-1950-five-window.html#Post1394371

Last edited by Phak1; 05/15/2022 12:36 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Phak1, thanks for the additional option for lifting the cab.

I worked on the cab a little but spent the majority of my time yesterday on the chassis. Pressure washed to remove most of the years of accumulated debris, removed the brake lines, pedal assembly and related bracket, parking brake cross shaft and related parts, front and rear bumpers, shocks, and right front brake shoes (spring was broken resulting in periodic brake lock up).

I also recieved my order (Sunday delivery, Yeah) from Jim Carter so I can work on engine mtg and related transmission mtg bracket location/install.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:42 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1452110 05/19/2022 12:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have tack welded the engine mounts in place on the frame and then used the engine block/transmission combination to locate the new transmission support. The original rear engine mounting cross member interferred with the transmission housing, primarily the portion housing the slave cylinder/clutch actuator so I removed the center portion leaving the sides that reinforce the frame in the area of the front axle spring mount.

The new transmission cross member was located for/aft by the engine mount locations dictating the engine/transmission location and then the vertical position was determined to give the engine block a 3-4 degree drop to the rear. The transmission cross member brackets needed to be oriented with the longer side horizontal resulting in significant angle disparity between the brackets and the frame, due to the frame taper. I reduced the cross tube engagement with the side brakets to less than 1" to provide more angle flexability to get the brackets tight against the frame. The brakcets needed to be located approx. 2 1/4" above the lower frame flange to achieve the desired engine angle. With all in place the bracket mounting bolt holes were drilled and the brackets mounted. The center section location was adjusted to center the transmission output shaft side to side and then the center section was tack welded to both brackets.

I have measurements for the cab relative to the frame from before the cab was removed and confirmed that the vertical firewall should be located approx. at the rear of the engine block. As I do not have the heads, intake, or distributor in place it's a little hard to confirm clearances but I am fairly confident it should be good. I also checked the shifter location relative to the opening in the cab floor and that looks like it should be good.

Next step is to fully weld in the engine mounts and fully weld the transmisison mount tubes.

I am considering fabricating a means to reinstall the removed original cross member as a bolt in but it will need to be located further back and probably a little lower than the original location.
Attachments
20220518_085437.jpg (280.29 KB, 372 downloads)
20220518_100030.jpg (295.96 KB, 376 downloads)
20220518_100115.jpg (319.05 KB, 369 downloads)
20220518_133038.jpg (341.48 KB, 365 downloads)
20220518_133021.jpg (359.03 KB, 375 downloads)

Last edited by WICruiser; 05/19/2022 12:28 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1452706 05/25/2022 12:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I determined that the removed cross member needed to be shifter rearward about the width of the channel and I increased vertical clearance by dropping it down approx. 1/2". Tacked in place with the bolt in plates it provides good clearance to the transmission housing where the integrated clutch slave cylinder is located as well as the bottom of the transmission.

In parrallel I am working on installing the rear cab corner patch panels. The driver's side I needed to fabricate a replacment inner panel in addition to installing the outer patch panel. I still have some work to do but ready to move on to the passenger side.
Attachments
20220524_080326.jpg (316 KB, 356 downloads)
20220524_080336.jpg (198.3 KB, 350 downloads)
20220524_122702.jpg (310.39 KB, 349 downloads)
20220524_122721.jpg (337.5 KB, 356 downloads)
20220524_122735.jpg (283.82 KB, 355 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I installed the passenger side rear cab corner patch panel, the inner panel was okay. I also installed the patch panel for the fuel filler in the cab (I plan to use a rear frame mounted fuel tank).
Attachments
20220527_092708.jpg (213.92 KB, 337 downloads)
20220527_092719.jpg (148.07 KB, 348 downloads)
20220527_092724.jpg (171.42 KB, 345 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I painted the underside of the cab with an epoxy primer, next step is to apply seam sealer, and body filler where needed.
Attachments
20220603_112222.jpg (220.23 KB, 329 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I purchased and did a preliminary installation of a 15 gallon fuel tank to determine if any frame modifications would be required prior to having the frame blasted, primed, and painted.

The tank is from Tanks Inc. (USPT-HG) and did not require any modifications to the frame cross members but I did add two straps across the top so that when the tank support straps are installed there is something other than the bed cross member to restrict the tank moving up. I split a piece of heater hose and slipped it over the lower rear frame cross member to asct as a cushion. I plan to cut it down to be pieces that are slightly wider than the tank support straps to minimize the potential to trap dirt and moisture. The tank straps will come from the forward cross angle to the rear frame cross member.

The tank is short enough fore-aft that it fit up into the frame with the front cross angel in place. With the tank flange tight up against the rear cross member lower flange (actually the hose cushion) the top of the tank has clearance to the bed cross member that is located approximately mid tank. Note that the cross member in the pictures is the original as I have not purchased the new bed cross sills yet).

The tank is narrow enough that I anticipate having room to run dual exhaust pipes out the back of the truck.

The tank does still hang down below the frame but I don't think it will be objectionable visually and it is higher than the lower shock mounting brackets as well as the differential center section.

The tank has multiple filler options but I plan to use the option that angles out of the passenger side rear corner that has enough up slope to clear the frame with the tank centnered side-to-side. I plan to run the filler into the passenger side rear fender area. I have not determined which filler style I will use yet but anticipate I will use a piece of exhaust tubing (not sure if it will be straight or require a bend to clear the bed floor at the bed side) and associated rubber hose connections to connect the outside fill location to the tank.

The sending unit opening is forward of the bed cross sill so no interfernce concerns and I am running a carburetor with an in-line fuel pump so the top filler/pump opendings can be closed off with the plates provided. If someone wants to install an in-tank pump at some point in the future the bed cross sill may cause interference but I believe the easiest solution would probably be to lower the tank slightly.
Attachments
20220605_112710.jpg (264.49 KB, 325 downloads)
20220605_112719.jpg (195.96 KB, 321 downloads)
20220605_112742.jpg (201.63 KB, 320 downloads)
20220605_081303.jpg (232.43 KB, 322 downloads)
20220605_112734.jpg (238.63 KB, 330 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:16 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I painted the underside of the cab with rustoleum rattle can gloss black.

I am preparing the frame for blasting and painting, still trying to decide if I should leave the axles in place or remove).
Attachments
20220626_150421.jpg (227.39 KB, 289 downloads)
20220626_150447.jpg (249.19 KB, 288 downloads)
20220626_150505.jpg (271.83 KB, 291 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:47 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I removed the axles (with springs attached) and took the frame to be blasted and painted.

I decided I really wanted to confirm the rear axle and I could not find any markings that would confirm the ratio so I removed the rear cover, still no information stamped into the ring gear so I just counted the ring gear teeth - got 32 so that aligns with the expected 4.57:1 axle expected for the 1949/50 3600 model designation.

I finally received the parts for my engine build (383 from a 1991 TBI 350) and am slowing working on prep of the block etc. for the assembly process.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1458048 07/09/2022 12:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have made progress on finishing the rear cab corner patches and the fuel tank filler patch. I am trying to decide if this is the time to strip and prime the reat of the back and the outside top of the cab.

I need to get busy on the engine build. My plan is to have the engine and transmission together and installed in the frame before I put the cab back on, but plans can change.
Attachments
20220706_104032.jpg (97.03 KB, 254 downloads)
20220707_110209.jpg (83.62 KB, 260 downloads)
20220707_110216.jpg (70.69 KB, 251 downloads)
20220707_110156.jpg (85.99 KB, 260 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1460465 07/28/2022 12:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have the engine build completed to the point of being able to install the transmission and soon install the combined unit into the truck frame. I still need to decide if I am keeping the original rocker covers or replacing them as well as a lot of plumbing related to the intake manifold but that will all be sorted out in time.

I received the frame back from the paint shop. It looks great (ignore the water spots in the attached photo). Now I need to reinstall the axles (less brake parts) to make the chassis mobile. Once the axles are in place I plan to install the engine-transmission then the cab to determine if everything clears or modifications are required.
Attachments
20220724_103905.jpg (209.93 KB, 225 downloads)
20220724_103923.jpg (245.34 KB, 227 downloads)
20220727_105951.jpg (370.41 KB, 225 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:15 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1460619 07/29/2022 12:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Installed the axles, although I do not have the tie rod in place, so I have independent front wheel steering at the moment.

Installed the engine and transmission combination.

I have some work to do on the cab but next big step is going to be installing the cab onto the frame to determine if any modifications are required to clear the engine/transmission.
Attachments
20220728_105805.jpg (323.86 KB, 209 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 1:49 PM. Reason: Typo’s

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1460991 08/01/2022 12:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I installed the cab temporarily to check clearances and found that I needed ot modify the transmission clearance for the bell housing (NV3500) area. With the modifications made the cab sitting in the correct location as defined by the front cab mounting bolts there is good distributor clearance to the firewall.

Need to get the cab exterior repairs completed so that I can get the cab installed.

Last edited by WICruiser; 08/02/2022 12:02 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Continuing to work on cab cleaning/priming prior to installation on the frame.

Recieved and attempted to install front disk brake conversion kit. The kit is listed for 55-59 but is suppose to work on '50 spindles with slight enlargement of the bracket mounting holes. However, the bracket notch is not wide enough to seat properly onto the machined surface of the spindle. Given that I will need to machine the spindle to clear in addition to enlarging the bolt holes I plan to remove the spindles, have them machined as required and reinstall. I will take advantage of the opportunity to inspect the king pins and related bushings (they seem good).
Attachments
20220807_085853.jpg (129.7 KB, 286 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1462117 08/10/2022 12:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Installed the front disk brake conversion lit. The interference problem previously mentioned was resolved with the spacers included in the kit that secure the bracket away from the spindle surface. Unfortunately the kit does not include any instructions but with the spacers installed the bracket mounting surface for the caliper is parrallel to the rotor surface. The spindles needed to have the upper mounting holes enlarged from 7/16 to 1/2" which doesn't sound like much except the spindles are hardened so they can not be drilled.

I did remove the king pins and the pins and bushings all look good, but now I need to find a source for the caps that go into the axle above and below the pin to prevent the grease from leaking out and letting dirt in.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1462947 08/17/2022 12:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Installed the cab on to the frame and removed the temporary braces from the door openings. The cab mounts are redone with new rubber bushings in the rear and isolator pads in the front.

I still have a lot of work to do on the cab but this is a giant step in the project.
Attachments
20220816_103831.jpg (261.81 KB, 249 downloads)
20220816_103854.jpg (350.62 KB, 249 downloads)
20220816_103811.jpg (327.58 KB, 245 downloads)
20220816_103822.jpg (211.27 KB, 249 downloads)
20220816_103839.jpg (300.78 KB, 245 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1462951 08/17/2022 12:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Looking great! It is a milestone!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have been working on the adaption of the S10 brake booster/master and related pedal backet for both the clutch and brake (see HighPro forum for details) utilizing a C1500/2500 clutch master cylinder. All the fluid addition related access points will now be under the hood and easily accessable.

I basically have the system worked out and while I need to make a few tweaks I think I have the system basics in place.

With those details sorted out I can get back to finishing up the cab interior body work and get the underside of the dash and floor area painted.

I am also making progress on the 14-bolt rear axle swap but need to get spring perches and U-bolts before I go much further. In the mean time the original Eaton H052 axle is in place to keep the chassis mobile.

Taking a road trip so no progress expected for the next couple of weeks but generally I am trying to work on some aspect of the project every day to keep things moving forward.

Last edited by WICruiser; 09/18/2022 12:53 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1467026 09/18/2022 12:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have what I believe is the final version of the pedal bracket ready for paint.

Back to working on the interior of the cab to finish the patch panel areas and prep for priming/painting.

The radio knob holes have been butchered over the years and I am not planning to install a radio so I am considering plutting in a patch panel that will fix the mounting holes and close the larger opening. However I may just repair the knob holes to preserve the radio opening for a potential future installation.
Attachments
20220913_092307.jpg (259.34 KB, 211 downloads)
20220913_092344.jpg (244.61 KB, 205 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1467682 09/22/2022 12:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I decided to go with Rams Horn exhaust manifolds, they look pretty good as far as frame clearance goes. I will need to do some work on spark plug wire routing. Next up is determining the steering - move the original out to clear the exhaust or convert to a newer power steering gear box.

I painted the underside of the dash and the interior firewall area. Not pretty but it will eventually be covered with sound adsorbing material so not a concern.

Installed the pedal assembly with the brake booster/master cylinder and the clutch master cylinder.

I need to keep working on the cab to get any painting/priming work done before cold weather sets in.

Ordered the parts for the 14-bolt axle conversion also.

I am hoping to have the cab primed, steering resolved, and rear axle swap completed before I relocate the chassis to the unheated back shed for the winter.
Attachments
20220921_104755.jpg (227.42 KB, 200 downloads)
20220921_104808.jpg (162.68 KB, 199 downloads)
20220921_104828.jpg (270.78 KB, 195 downloads)
20220921_104835.jpg (138.67 KB, 205 downloads)

Last edited by WICruiser; 09/22/2022 12:28 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am in process of relocating the standard steering gear outward to clear the exhaust manifolds and fabricating a new drag link to be mounted inboard of the pitman arm to provide something close to the original steering geometry.

I have the 14-bolt rear axle in place and it is clear now why I needed to relocate the brake backing plates outward and use shallower brake drums as the U-bolt to frame clearance is still pretty close. I am still working on the lower shock mounting brackets to finish the 14-bolt installation.

I cleaned and primed the cab door openings and rocker panels and treated the interior cab with POR-15.

I am working on a revised transmission cover to deal with the NV3500 transmission shifter location and the firewall/floor modificatoins required for transmission clearance.
Attachments
20220930_102833.jpg (193.25 KB, 174 downloads)
20221012_112420.jpg (305.81 KB, 179 downloads)
20221014_101720.jpg (300.61 KB, 183 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1471854 10/21/2022 12:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I transferred the lower shock mounting brackets from the original HO axle to the 14-bolt axle.

I installed the fuel tank, although I need to replace the hardware before it is complete. The filler tube will be sorted out when I get the bed supports and sides ready to be installed (a ways off) with the filler expected to be in the rear fender.
Attachments
20221020_104401.jpg (248.66 KB, 172 downloads)
20221020_104428.jpg (236.44 KB, 168 downloads)
20221020_104415.jpg (168.59 KB, 165 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1473285 10/31/2022 12:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I fabricated a transmission opening cover in part from the original and in part new.

Fabricated a hydraulic line from the clutch master to the slave using the ends from a replacement C1500 line with added line material. The clutch slave or clutch appear to be locked up so I need to sort that out at some point.

I'm working on installing the water pump pulley and alternator but dealing with pulley alignment issues. Based a preliminary measurement it appears that the clutch fan arrangement from the original 1991 350 engine should have radiator clearance but installation will require the water pump pulley to be modified due to differenet bolt circles (water pump has both).

Waiting on my custom drag link and modified pitman arm and spindle bracket to assemble the steering and evaluate the strength of the relocation bracket for the steering gear. The custom drag link uses 1 ton GM rod ends with the pitman arm and spindle bracket modified for tapered rod end connections.

Plan to tackle brake lines and fuel lines in the near future.
Attachments
20221029_100102.jpg (256.89 KB, 292 downloads)
20221029_100126.jpg (192.43 KB, 286 downloads)
20221029_152553.jpg (266.06 KB, 292 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I needed to replace the clutch slave cylinder as the piston was stuck in the bore, upon further inspection the bore was corroded pretty badly.

I installed the relocated steering gear/column, pitman arm, new drag link, etc. and modified the inner fender to clear the relocated steering gear. While I have the inner fender roughly in place I verified that my clutch hydraulic line cleared the modification I made to the inner fender for clearance.

Expecting some of the brake lines and materials for fuel lines via FedEx today. The line for the front brakes coming from the proprtioning valve is 5/16" (1/2" thread) to match the prop valve but the tees that I have are for 1/4" line (7/16" thread) so I need to adapt at some point. The lines to the front disk brakes are 3/16" (3/8" thread fitting) so they also need adaption. Perhaps there is a better way to get everything to match up?
Attachments
20221111_103155.jpg (161.08 KB, 275 downloads)
20221111_103207.jpg (167.07 KB, 271 downloads)
20221111_103229.jpg (222.05 KB, 276 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 06/05/2025 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have the brake lines all run but having problems with the banjo bolt copper washers on the front calipers. Apparently the washer ID is large enough that the washer can move out of position relative to the hose end fitting creating a leak path. I annealed the washers and tried to ensure they were centered as I tightened the banjo bolt but the driver's side still has a leak.

I changed the fluid in the 14-bolt rear axle and drained the fluid from the NV3500 transmission, just need to install the new fluid.

I have been sidelined by a case of influenza since Thanksgiving so things have been at a standstill. Hopefully in the near future my health will improve and I will be able to get back at it.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I would run down to your FLAPS and get the correct size copper washers. They'll have an assortment of them to chose from. Don't bet your life on a "that should work" solution on brakes.

Get well soon.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Are the banjo bolt washers part of the conversion "kit" that you received???

Could be they were not the proper size, or just poor quality offshore items.

Maybe worth taking a banjo bolt to the local FLAPS (with knowledge of what caliper you are using) and get them to help select a proper fitting washer???

Definitely one place you do not want a leak at - yikes!

Sorry to hear about having the BUG (ugh). Hope you can get recovered soon! thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
The banjo bolts and washers were part of the conversion kit and I agree they seem to be the incorrect size. The hose ends are relatively narrow between the inside and outside and the washer IDs are larger than the banjo bolt alllowing them to shift. I think if I can hold the washer concentric with the hose end while tightening the banjo bolt they will work but my next stop is the local FLAPS to get new washers.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1481826 01/05/2023 12:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Working on filling the radio holes in the dash (knob holes had been butchered) and I don't plan to install a radio.

Also started working on the driver's side door. The rusted out bottom of the door was expected but I discovered more issues with the door latch and window regulator that I had expected. Appears that the window crank handle shaft is damaged and the door outside handle shaft that engages the latch is also broken. The good news is the glass is good and the window regulator winds the window up/down using a vice grips as a handle.
Attachments
20230104_091023.jpg (246.09 KB, 225 downloads)
20230104_091032.jpg (256.79 KB, 225 downloads)
20230104_091119.jpg (182.08 KB, 225 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:01 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am making significant progress on the passenger side door (driver's side put off for now).

I also did make some progress on the passenger bed side with some rust patch panels in place and rear stake pocket removed (pending replacement).

I seem to be going in multiple directions at the same time and while making progress it is more like a shot gun blast than a rifle shot. I ordered a drive shaft and all of the parts related to the bed (probably premature). I'm also exploring how to deal with instruments (GPS speedometer, voltmeter, etc.) while not really being anywhere near ready for them.
Attachments
20230205_152924.jpg (185.05 KB, 200 downloads)
20230205_153403.jpg (160.79 KB, 201 downloads)
20230129_110643.jpg (261.68 KB, 202 downloads)
20230129_110540.jpg (263.89 KB, 204 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Man those bed sides look familiar. I had rust-outs in the same places.

A tip on your next patch: Use radiused instead of sharp corners. It will be easier to planish out the shrinkage at the corners which should be less because of the radius.

Have you reviewed MPandC's sticky thread on welding sheet metal up at the top of the Paint and Body Shop Forum? A good read and good advice.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
WICruiser #1486963 02/07/2023 10:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Kevin, I reviewed MPandC's sticky but that was a while ago and probably should look at it again.

I looked over your bed side pictures and there are definitely some similarities. In my case the angles were basically rusted away and tended to take the bed side with them (at least in the front and back). My fender mounting areas were not as bad as yours.

The driver's side door is going to be basically a full width inner and outer patch panel so making sure that I know where the bottom needs to be before I cut off both areas will be critical. My current plan is to make a carbboard template that I can bolt in place on the inner panel (because its flatter) to idenitfy the bottom edge location but I am open to suggestions.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Continuing to work on doors and bed sides but got my order from Mar-K for all my bed related parts (cross sills, bed side angle brackets, rear stake pockets, wood, strips, etc. so I needed to make sure everything was as expected.

Did a preliminary layout of the cross sills on the frame and then laid the bed wood out and all looked good.

I welded the rear stake pockets to both bed sides and did a preliminary installation of the bed side angle brackets using the fender mounting holes that intersect. Angle strips are very tight on top of the edge boards, especially toward the front so I need to try and raise them slightly when drilling holes for the strips to be bolted to the bed sides (planning to bolt rather than weld to provide a little flexability if needed).

I proceeded to mark and drill all the holes in the edge boards for the angle strip bolts then marked and drilled holes to mount the angle strips to the bed sides. There are going to be a few bolts showing between the front stake pockets but most of the bolts will be either under the fender or in the stake pockets. The rear strip to side bolt will need a weld nut inside the stake pocket as there is no reall way to access a loose nut on the inside.

I marked the passenger bed side for the fuel tank filler pass through and the driver's bed side for the fuel tank vent line.

Now I need to take it all apart and continue work required on the bed sides.
Attachments
20230226_121140.jpg (277.8 KB, 284 downloads)
20230226_121150.jpg (296.34 KB, 284 downloads)
20230226_121159.jpg (248.82 KB, 282 downloads)
20230226_121210.jpg (213.86 KB, 279 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1494803 04/01/2023 12:01 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Continuing to work on multiple sub-projects.

I have bed sides have been set aside after the angle strip bolts have all been located and weld nuts for the rear most bolts being installed. Holes for the fuel filler tube and tank vent tube have been cut into the respective sides.

Started working on the passenger side inner front fender, replacing a weld nut and welding up and redrilling holes where the front edge inner and outer fender meet that were broken out. Primed and painted the inner side (toward engine) but need to strip undercoating or ?? from the wheel side before I can paint.

Fabricated a fan shroud that mounts with the radiator mounting bolts and supports the electric fan. Still needs some work but I did an intial fit check to confirm that the electric fan clears the engine pulleys. The radiator support may move up for fender alignment and will be stabilized side to side when the inner fenders are attached but clearance looks good.
Attachments
20230331_125647.jpg (291.58 KB, 260 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1496716 04/16/2023 12:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I decided that I should finish the wood (pine) for my bed even though it will be a while before I am ready to assemble the bed. I am using an original treatment of penetrating epoxy from Smith & Company followed by a spar varnish. It is taking a while as there are a number of coats to be applied ot both sides of the wood.

Took advantage of the recent warm weather (it is suppose to snow tomorrow) to make a junk yard run. Picked up a gas pedal and cable, a fuel filler, a horn, and shifter boot all of which will require some adaptation but at least give me something to start with. Still a little hard to visualize how I will fashion the fuel filler into the rear fender but hopefully it will become clearer when I can mount the bed side and fender to get a better idea of the spacial relationship between the fender and the filler hose pathway.
Attachments
20230415_131151.jpg (223.85 KB, 243 downloads)

Last edited by WICruiser; 04/16/2023 12:59 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
I'm not familiar with you year, but do the wood planks require an special edge that goes under the metal strip that connects the edge of the boards? I had to create that edge so the metal strip sat properly on my 1940 Chevy PU.

I used a penetration epoxy covered with a UV protector and worked fine. Just pay attention to the ends... It soaks up a lot if it's dry..

I also found that assembling the bed before I finished the planks saved a lot of Hassel when they didn't fit as I thought they would and I had to modify them, screwing up my finish and the seal.

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
WICruiser #1496808 04/17/2023 12:37 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Paul’s gmc parts site has all the lumber dimension.
Attachments


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
WICruiser #1496839 04/17/2023 12:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Yes the board have a feature on the edge that is clamped by the strip that provides for the edge of the strip to engage and provide clearance for the strip material between that feature and the edge as shown in Kevinski's pictures.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1497586 04/22/2023 12:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Finished the top side of the bed boards and put them back into storage as it will be a while before I am ready to assemble the bed.

I think I will prime and paint the bed cross sills to get them protected while being stored waiting for the bed assembly process.

Back to working on the driver's side inner front fender with the hopes of getting the front assembly of the inner front fenders and radiator support completed knowing that I will need to adjust the radiator support mounting when it comes time to install the front fenders.

Still seems like I am heading in six directions at once but it all needs to be done sooner or later so as long as I can manage my expectations it should be fine.

"Short" list of pending "to-do" items includes inner front fender installation, painting interior of the cab (including inside of doors), exhaust system, painting a top coat over Por-15 on rear axle, rebuilding instrument cluster, refurbishing and installing heater, etc. etc.
Attachments
20230421_085421.jpg (281.33 KB, 186 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1497593 04/22/2023 12:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
I fully understand that feeling, it seems like I never complete any one project before starting another. I'm working on so many different things on my truck all at once.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
WICruiser #1498221 04/26/2023 12:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I got the driver's side inner front fender cleaned up, painted, and installed. Everything will need to be touched up but it felt good to have things going together.

My thought process being that with the inner front fenders, radiator support, etc. installed I should be able to start to layout the electrical system, plumb the cooling system, etc. However, before I can start those processes I need to get the heater refurbished and installed and the interior of the cab painted.

I started painting the bed cross sills to help preservee them until I get to the bed assembly stage (a ways down the road).
Attachments
20230423_085206.jpg (228.14 KB, 163 downloads)
20230423_085247.jpg (238.57 KB, 159 downloads)
20230423_085224.jpg (263.52 KB, 159 downloads)
20230423_085232.jpg (254.92 KB, 162 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 07/24/2024 11:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1501121 05/17/2023 11:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Heater core is in poor condition so a recore is in process (pricy to be sure).

Primed and painted the bed cross sills with Rustoleum except the exposed portion of the rear that was primed only.

Started stripping the outside of the driver's side door to prime before I paint the finished color on the inside.

Project is on hold for the moment as we purchased a 1997 Chevy 1500 for my grandson (just turned 16) that needs the engine rebuilt/replaced. I may take this opportunity to get the truck to the exhaust shop for the exhaust system to be formed/installed.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Man, this truck is looking good! Keep it up. I took my heater core an old ma and pop shop locally, and it only cost me $150 IIRC. It wasn’t over $200. It wasn’t a recore job either. They built me one new using the old as a pattern.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
WICruiser #1501464 05/20/2023 12:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I don't have the final cost yet for my heater core but the initial estimate was around $400 just because it is so large. A lot more than required for a simple truck cab.

The shop is a small mom and pop type reported to provide reasonable pricing but these days just finding a place to do this type of work is challenging.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:04 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
E
Moderated
Moderated
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
Really impressed. Did you cut out around the rusted parts only, or did your cut out whole sections? I am not sure what to do. I have rust but some holes only on the passenger side. I was thinking of just cutting the rusted parts and leaving the driver’s side untouched. Thanks Eric

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:05 PM. Reason: Typos
WICruiser #1509517 07/17/2023 12:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks, compared to some on this site my amature status is pretty clear but I am pretty happy with how the project is going so far. Although the whole project has been on hold for a few months while I work on a different project truck (1997 Chevy 1500) for my grandson.

Generally I cut out large sections that included the rusted areas. In retrospec I probably should have gone further in some areas. I bought patch panels such as floor pan pieces that went back almost to the seat area but cut them off to match the cut out floor area, similar process with the inner and outer cowl panels. The inner to outer cowl panels were the short versions. I was lucky in that my rocker panels from the door hinge post back and my door hinge posts were in good condition. My seat riser had been removed by a previous owner but I was planning on updated seats anyway so that wasn't a big problem. I have done selected area cut outs and patch installations on the fenders, box sides, and replaced the rear stake pockets to resolve rusted out rear box cross member and hinge mounting areas.

The body work support on this forum is great. I am sure if you post pictures of what you have you will get a lot of advice (sometimes conflicting) about how best to proceed.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1516256 09/07/2023 11:49 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Not totally done with the alternate project (97 C1500) but starting to get back to this project.

Realized that I was getting ahead of myself (again) working on finishing the prep-paint on the door when I plan to install the Altman door latch kit. Took advantage of one of the vendors Labor Day sale to get the latches on order.

Planning to get the exhaust system in place in the near future (I suspect the exhaust shop is thinking I may never show up) but need to make some trailer repairs and install some of the bed parts (so he knows what to avoid) before I can get it hauled there - always something.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:06 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have made a little progress and have a partial install of the bed so the exhaust shop knows what needs clearance. I have an appointment to get the exhaust installed later this month.

I started the install of the Altman door latches on the driver's door. I still need to work on cleaning up the cuts and confirm the release lever to the inside handle clears the opening but at least it is a little progress. Wanted to get the cuts all made and cleaned up prior to continuing the painting efforts on the doors.
Attachments
20231012_155123.jpg (195.61 KB, 192 downloads)
20231001_083254.jpg (237.18 KB, 193 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1522804 10/21/2023 11:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Got the exhaust system installed. No pictures up near the engine but the exhaust pipes were pretty tight getting turned and over the original-relocated frame cross brace. The rear axle area is also a bit tight given the relocated fuel tank. I will need to relocate my fuel pump to get more clearance but it isn't connected to the engine yet and the flexible line from the tank is easy to replace with a longer section.

Now I need to remove and restore the bed parts for near term. At least I know how they fit together at this point. I'll probably leave the rear bumper on for now just so I am not constantly running into the tail pipes.
Attachments
20231020_144351.jpg (264.7 KB, 172 downloads)
20231020_144415.jpg (228.27 KB, 172 downloads)
20231020_144356.jpg (171.71 KB, 172 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Got the fuel pump relocated, actually a lot happier with the mounting now as I eliminated the bracket that came with the pump and replaced the original mounting studs with some I had in inventory. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the filter and tucked the filter inside the frame bracket. Routed the fuel line away from the exhaust.

Back to working on the doors, stripping off old paint on the outside so they can be primed and any repairs made before I paint the interior surfaces with color.

Trying to determine what temperature I need for the Eastman rattle can epoxy color paint to cure. The infromation I can find only refers to cure time at 68 degrees but doesn't say anything about temperature range (other than cure time will vary). Turned pretty chiily here so shop is set to hold at 50 degrees for now. I can warm it up but don't want to get carried away. Hoping to get the interior of the cab, including the inside of the doors done before winter really sets in.

If I can get the interior painted I can do a lot of work on things like installing the heater, wiring, cables, etc. that involve the dash area.
Attachments
20231022_120213.jpg (225.3 KB, 163 downloads)
20231022_120226.jpg (182.77 KB, 165 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Painted the inside of the doors and the interior of the cab (dash and up except where headliner will cover) with an Eastwood rattle can epoxy paint. Temperature was set at 60 degrees and the paint appears to have cured okay. I still need to do some touch up but I have an unused can of paint I am holding for future use.

Need to determine where/how I am going to store the doors for now but planning to move on to heater restoration and installation and electrical (dash and engine compartment) over the winter months. I will need to decide which wiring harness to buy, where to place the fuse block, and how best to run all the electrical as none of it will be stock configuration. I can also move on to the guage cluster and make decisions about how best to incorporate a GPS speedometer, voltmeter, and if I am going to electric or mechnical oil pressure and engine coolant guages.

I should be able to work on the under/back side of the fenders and other misc parts that will be simple Rustoleum painted during the winter as well.

Hoping to be able to paint the exterior color when the weather warms up next spring although I have a lot of work to do before I get that far.
Attachments
20231105_084625.jpg (300.3 KB, 154 downloads)
20231105_084605.jpg (299.08 KB, 154 downloads)
20231105_084610.jpg (218.37 KB, 151 downloads)
20231105_084633.jpg (193.08 KB, 151 downloads)
20231105_084647.jpg (229.96 KB, 151 downloads)
20231105_084657.jpg (204.08 KB, 152 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:07 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Assembled my heater (truck never had one previously) and installed along with related defrost ducts. Need to do some touch up on the paint but I finally got the inner cowl mounting bolts in place. Next step is to acually connect the heater hoses (parts on their way) as well as the radiator hoses and other items installed into the cooling system. Also need to decide what to do about the gap around the blower motor where it comes through the firewall.

Also installed the choke cable to see how it fits (now located in the throttle location to clear the electric wiper motor), as well as the heater blower switch and wiper control switch. I have a hole in place in the backet for the defrost cable to mount but do not have a cable yet.
Attachments
20231112_092902.jpg (393.9 KB, 127 downloads)
20231112_092946.jpg (357.3 KB, 129 downloads)
20231112_093005.jpg (312.53 KB, 131 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1526631 11/19/2023 10:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Started the installation of the wiring. Located the fuse panel on the driver's side inner cowl panel and started running wires. The kit I purchased from Speedway has more circuits than I need and came with its own headlight switch and high beam switch. Still deciding on what direction to take on instruments but leaning toward a set made by Dolphin that fits the original dash openings, has a GPS speedometer and all electric fuel, volt, oil pressure, and coolant temperature gauges.

I determined that the ignition switch I have does not have a start position (typical of stomp starter vintage) so I either need to change switches or add a push button start switch. Need to source a brake light switch to mate up with the pedals that I retrofitted from an S10.
Attachments
20231119_105212.jpg (298.56 KB, 197 downloads)
20231119_105223.jpg (342.93 KB, 198 downloads)
20231119_105255.jpg (366.84 KB, 193 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I purchased an instrument package from Dakota Digital that includes an electronic (not GPS) speedometer, tach, and electric versions of the oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges (came with all the sensors). The package includes a control box that I mounted on the inner cowl below the fuse panel on the drriver's side inner cowl. Working on getting all of the connections to the control box so that I can determine how best to package/route the wiring under the dash. As I am a long way from having the front and rear lights in place those wires are hanging in space for now.

Once I get the under dash wiring paths sorted out and install the gauges I will provide an update with pictures, for now it is not a pretty picture.

I did remove several circuits from the fuse panel that I will not be using to help clean things up but I need to do some more of that.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Initial installation of the wiring harness and Dakota Digital instruments (including control box) is complete. I am sure there will be some wiring adjustments made later but time to move on to another aspect of the project (so many to choose from).
Attachments
20231211_144043[1].jpg (382.48 KB, 158 downloads)
20231213_105750.jpg (399.42 KB, 158 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 12/13/2023 8:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Working on designing my fuel tank filler. The tank is relocated behind the rear axle with the filler existing the tank toward the passenger side, over the frame and below the bed. The plan is to pass through the bed side into the rear fender/wheel area and then turn toward the rear with the filler located somewhere on the rear surface of the fender.

I have a fuel filler part from a more recent Chevy truck that I may mount directly to the fender (it was originally connected with a plastic shape part behind a filler door) with the cap exposed. Not really the most appealing astetics but functional.

I am also considering a flush mount type fuel filler that would improve the astetics but not sure about this approach.

Anyone else have a passenger side rear fender fuel filler that would be willing to share pictures would be appreciated.

While contemplating the fuel filler I decided to install my updated tie rod ends received several months ago. Unfortunately my spindles have tapered stud connections for the tie rod ends and the replacmeents that I bought are for straight bore connections. I posted a thread in the Driveline section hoping for member insight regarding a path forward.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
It maybe hard to tell from the pics, but here is my setup.
I had to go a with a bigger ID vent tube and use a metal pipe(prevent pinching there at bend) where it was exposed
to the inside fender and then put a right angle fitting at the top of the
filler. tapped and threaded. Vent Tube to that from tank.
Fender mount flush filler.
Attachments
tankw.JPG (209.76 KB, 126 downloads)
DSC_0017best.jpg (96.02 KB, 125 downloads)
filler3.JPG (179.74 KB, 127 downloads)
filler2.JPG (128.62 KB, 123 downloads)
fill2.JPG (176.54 KB, 123 downloads)

Last edited by Guitplayer; 12/21/2023 6:39 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
WICruiser #1530198 12/22/2023 11:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
But its a driver side application. Which I prefer.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am considering a fuel filler such as you selected - how do you like it? The "key" feature seems good except I can see it being a pain down the road needing to make sure you know where the key is.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
The "key" I keep in my center console or it has a key ring hole. Its just 2 offset holes that
you could use a couple Philips to open in an emergency.
I have had positive comments on the look and location on fender.
Only draw back is fuel delivery , although doable. It takes paying attention
so it does not over deliver. I just cannot give it all the gas station pump will send.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks for the information on fuel delivery. I was wondering if that would be a problem.

At the moment I am planning to use a fuel filler I salvaged from a new model Chevy truck. One of its benefits is the fuel delivery goes through an interior tube that allows air excaping the tank to exit through the filler opening around the outside of that inner tube. I am not sure how I am going to position the filler relative to the fender surface. The truck it came from had a plastic piece that positioned the filler more vertically behind a door. I don't plan on a hidden/door arangement but deciding how vertical the filler needs to be will determine where it will be placed on the fender.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
With mine, I chose the flattest spot on the fender.
I think on the fender ,the next flat spot going down was going to be too low
in relationship to the filler at tank and tire height. That might have helped with fuel delivery.
The look on the side of the fender to me would look odd. So I choose where I did.
It may be too far of a drop. ..however. Just can`t walk away from it while filling using those
nozzle delivery catches.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have completed the initial installaion of the newer model year Chevy fuel filler into the passenger side rear fender. I still need to work on finishing the hole that the filler passes through the fender, and the pieces required to connect the filler to the tank but I like how it is working out so far. The current set up uses the original screws to mount the fuel filler to the fender but they are 7m hex heads that will be exposed so I am considering changing them for some torx pan head bolts I have (that will require modification to the fuel filler part but nothing significant).

Assembly sequence will be a bit tricky as the rear fender brace that connects to the top of the frame is directly under the filler hose path from the tank. My current thought is when I eventually get to the point of assembling the painted fender onto the painted box side I will need to complete the fender installation including the rear brace, then install the fuel filler connection to the fuel tank, before installing the fuel filler to the fender. The fuel filler will consist of a hose from the tank, a stainelss steel tube connecting that hose to a 90 dgree formed hose that passes through a hole in the bed side (below the bed), connected to another pirce of stainless tube that is connected to a hose connected to the fender mounted fuel filler. I think I can assembly all of the fuel filler parts prior to installing it into the truck just mounting the fuel filler and connecting the hose to the tank but I will confirm that before I take everything apart for the painting process.
Attachments
20231231_105649.jpg (176.91 KB, 261 downloads)
20231231_105656.jpg (190.86 KB, 261 downloads)
20231231_121237.jpg (343.62 KB, 261 downloads)

Last edited by WICruiser; 12/31/2023 8:35 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1534832 01/30/2024 10:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Working on multiple fronts (nothing new for this project). I am cleaning up and painting the underside of the driver's side rear fender after installing (temporarily) my fuel tank vent/roll over valve. The center fender brace is removed so that I can clean and paint the fender completely and the brace on all surfaces.

Also working on plumbing the fuel line to the carburetor, PCV valve from the rocker cover to the intake manifold, and initial installation of the air cleaner. In theory I could work through the check list of getting fuel and power to the engine to start it for the first time but I am resisting as it would be a short run time followed by a long storage period as I continue to work on the rest of the truck.

Plan to move on to the front fenders next to check repairs made to not impact the headlight installation, clean and paint the underside and related braces/brackets.
Attachments
20240122_120517.jpg (196.17 KB, 233 downloads)
20240130_145512.jpg (317.54 KB, 234 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:10 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Underside of the front fenders have been cleaned and painted with Rustoleum. Getting the front fenders mounted is a challenge given that the front goes under the radiator support but over the inner fender making the transition to getting the flange over the inner fender tough. Then getting all of the inner fender mounting bolts aligned with the fender support and in-line to thread into the radiator support was another challenge. Trying to scope out the correct sequence so that when the parts are painted I am not scratching them all up in the installation process.

I installed the valance parts to the running boards and set the running boards in place to see how everything lines up. Driver's side is okay, passenger side is going to require some work as the rear of the running board is low relative to the rear fender and the valance to the box.

Tried to measure from the cab - hood hinge mounting bolts to the radiator support on each side as a prelude to hood alignment. It is not looking good (3/8" difference is the best I could do) but I am not going to panick until I can fit check the hood.

I was going to work on cleaning and painting the underside of the running boards next but I think I am going to tackle the hood next so I can determine if I need to move things around to get the hood to align correctly. It is a little intimidating as the hood is so big to handle. Also trying to decide if I want to source and install name/number identification parts on the hood sides or clean and fill those areas.
Attachments
20240223_154646.jpg (336.49 KB, 210 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
When I did my 47 3600, I put the inner and outer fenders together, then put them on the truck. I had help and we did not scratch anything. Get your welting glued on and that will protect your cowling from scratching, the inner fender will bolt to the radiator support without much trouble.


1947 3600 Chevy
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks, I guess that answers another question about welting or no-welting.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am working on the hood and while I still have some repairs to make I wanted to fit check the hood for alignment with the cab and fenders. I need to make some adjustments and have posted a plea for help in the Body and Paint forum. Once I get the alignment sorted out I will finish the repairs (primarily the passenger side insigna area) and complete the refurbishment of the latch area. I apparently will need to fabricate one hood brace as I have not been successful in locating one (see parts wanted listing in the swap area).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1539948 03/12/2024 12:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Still working on the hood alignment but waiting on mounting bolts before I do any more on that. It sounds like I may have a source for the hood brace but that is still pending.

I did pick up the parts for a different grille that was painted, not chrome but I will still need to make some repairs to my grille end plates as they were not part of the deal.

I moved on to installing the doors to fit check and install the striker portion of the Altman latch kit. Apparently my cab is not a '50 but rather a '52 or later as the striker plates in the kit do not fit and the manufacturer has advised that I need the striker plates from their 52 - ?? model year kit. In the process I realized that I have some adjustment issues with the driver's side door (have not gotten to the passenger side yet) getting the belt line to match between the door and the cab. I also realize that it has been a long time since I took the doors apart and proably will struggle to remember how they go back together, not to mention obtaining the parts that I need to replace.

It is good thing I am not on a schedule or working against a deadline.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I reached a milestone recently with all the body panels stripped of old paint and primed (most with an epoxy primer). I still have a fair amount of skim coat body filler to apply in select areas and need to decide my plan for the bed sides given they have a lot of "history" showing with dents all over but primarily in the top rolled tube area.

I'm in process of installing emergency brake cables (custom) using a J*** handle between the bucket seats. Unfortunately the cable from the handle to the plate that connects it to the axle brake cables is too long so I am waiting to hear back from the supplier about the best fix.

I'm also in process of confirming the electrical system. I have the battery in place and with it connected I have verified power to the starter, alternator, cooling fan, ignition (with switch on), fuel pump (ignition on), and the instrument controller (Dakota Digital). I was able to configure the fuel gauge and it appears to read correctly. I also set the tach configuration but did not confirm operation. I will need to create a cross reference for the fuse locations as I am using the power seat fuse for battery power to the instrument controller and the radio fuse for switch power to the instrument controller.

I am working toward my first engine start and camshaft breakin run but have a few steps still required before I am ready to fire it. It has been about 2 years since I built the engine so fingers crossed that I didn't screw anything up.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
For the bed roll on mine that was flattened, I got a ball bearing and welded a nut to it so I could screw it on my slide hammer. Drove that into the bed roll and used the ball as a dolly. Marked the shaft of the slide hammer so I knew where it was to apply the hammer blows.
Here's a couple pics of the tool I built.
Attachments
IMG_0444.JPG (161.53 KB, 140 downloads)
IMG_0445.JPG (163.59 KB, 142 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
WICruiser #1548175 05/29/2024 11:12 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Kevin, thanks for the reminder, I recall seeing that on your thread now. That is a pretty large ball bearing where did you source it from?


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1548176 05/29/2024 12:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I’m also interested in the source plus the diameter.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I got a pair of them on Amazon LINK
Diameter is 1-1/2". I also ground a couple of relief spots so that there was kind of a point support so I could lift the metal up. Conveniently, it has buried itself somewhere in my garage or I'd add a pic of that.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
WICruiser #1548253 05/30/2024 12:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks for the size and the link. This forum, and Kevin in particular are a great resource.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Just realized it has been a loooong time since I posted an update.

I have been side tracked by another project but working on the truck a little at a time.

As some have noticed from the Paint and Body forum I am working on front end assembly for fit checking prior to paint. Struggling with the passenger side fender position but that is a discussion best left for othe places.

I was hoping to be ready for paint soon but now realize that I have a lot of work to do before that. When I do get to that point I was originally planning to paint everthing seperately then assemble but my revised plan is too paint the interface areas (door jams, cab rear, edges of fenders and hood, etc. then assembly and paint all together. Still time to change my mind again off course.

Still hoping to fire and break-in the engine this summer/fall but have not decided when to pull that particular trigger. I have fuel to the carburetor, power to the distributor and starter, etc. so in theory once I prime the oil system it should be ready to run.

The final body work is not my greatest passion so I am tending to drag my feet but I need to get my self in gear and get to it.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1553327 07/21/2024 11:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I agree with your plan. Fit, spot in all the inaccessible areas, assemble, then paint. I couldn’t imagine how a one man show, could assemble the front end without scratching the crap out of it.

To avoid getting overspray into door jams, hood etc, you can apply tape to the back side of the door/hood and let it roll into the jam so there is not a sharp line. A little compound takes away any overspray leaving a nice transition.

Last edited by Phak1; 07/21/2024 11:22 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
WICruiser #1553354 07/22/2024 12:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Phak1, thank you for the affirmation. Now I just need to execute.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1555339 08/14/2024 11:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Continuing to work on the "body work" aspect of the project. My fenders that I thought were pretty good have a lot more small dents than I realized. the bed sides show a lot of history as being used as a truck.

I have decided to "paint" the inside of the bed (bed sides, front, and tailgate) with bed liner material. The current plan is to coat up to the bend line on the bed sides but I have not decided where to break it on the front panel or the tailgate yet. This will blend in with the bed liner that I put on the bed strips and angle brackets.

I have tentatively decided on using a Chevy blue mettalic paint color (619D) that one of my son-in-laws has on his 2019 Silverado. This should provide easy access to touch up paint if/when needed.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1559838 10/04/2024 10:30 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
It has been some time since I updated this journal. Primarily working on body panels trying to get ready for paint but have now decided that at least if I am going to paint it that will not happen until next year due to temperatures dropping.

Given the body work activity I decided that I could not wait any longer to hear the engine run. It is a 383 SBC that was built a couple years ago and just sitting in the chassis waiting. I had previously confirmed that my wiring was providing power to the starter, distributor, etc. and the electric fuel pump pressure seemed correct without the need for a regulator. I found that I have mis wired the starter solenoid but once that was resolved it worked.

Prior to trying to start I installed an old distributor without a cam gear to prime the oil system. Priming went well and showed about 50-60 psi oil pressure when running the oil pump with an electric drill, a fair amount of oil delivered to the rocker arms on both cylinder heads. I needed to play with the timing to get it running and not really sure where it sits now as I was more interested in running at speed for the cam break-in. Once running it seemed okay with oil pressure in the 50-60 psi range, battery voltage at 14 volts, coolant temperature rose to 220 before I shut it down. I ran it for about 20 minutes at 2500 rpm and will probably run it again before I try to let it idle and set timing, idle speed, etc. I am trying to not run it at speeds lower than 2000 rpm until I have sufficient time that I believe the cam will be okay.

I did determine that my clutch is not releasing so I was not able to engage reverse on the transmission. I need to sort that out so that I can determine more information about the drive train as it is a mix of used parts (NV3500 transmission, 14 bolt rear axle w/ 4.10 ratio) and a new customer drive shaft. I am hoping that the problem is air in hydraulic clutch system but it may be the slave cylinder (the master is new so presumably not the problem). It will be a little strange to drive it around the yard with no body panels or doors, just the cab with no glass in place.

Once I get the basics like timing and idle speed set and any other drive train issues resolved I will run engine with the fuel pump disabled to run the carburetor dry for it's winter nap.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Yesterday was a monumental day in the history of this project.

I resolved my clutch release problem and the truck drove up and down the driveway under its own power for the first time. This was the first time I have ever had the truck move under its own power as the "rust bucket" as my wife calls it never was run/driven with the previous drivetrain.

It is a strange looking beast with only the cab, drivetrain (including radiatory support), and bumpers in place but it does move under its own power.

Now to get the brakes working (pedal near the floor) - a good winter project and the sheet metal work and related painting completed so that I can make it look more like a truck.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/20/2025 3:03 AM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Congrats, big step towards your goal!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Another long break on this project - grandson's truck transmission took priority.

I need to get myself motivated again to continue the body work and make fixtures to hold all the parts for painting. If anyone has pictures of fixtures that they have used it would be appreciated.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Here's a fixture I used for both rear fenders. I had some light square tubing scrounged from a desk and some locking casters (Harbor Freight or Amazon - can't remember which). The top was made of angle iron with holes to match the top two fender mounting holes. I also used a couple pieces of angle iron bolted to the lower fender mounting holes and then clamped to the upright. If you were closer, I'd give it to you, but shipping would be nuts. If you'd like I could take a couple detail pics. It's in my storage trailer partly dismantled.
Attachments
IMG_5718.JPG (355.88 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_5930.JPG (221.58 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_5964.JPG (232.81 KB, 199 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks for the pictures. I think details are not really that important as they will be unique/one off stands regardless. Did you paint the front fenders with the inner fenders installed or seperate? I was thinking of painting with the inners in place but it does complicate stand design.

I was thinking of making mine out of wood, probalby with a flat base on each that I could put on a robust rolling dolly I have.

My son (more painting experience than I have) wants me to paint everything basically at the same time which seems impratical given the number and bulk of the parts.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1562679 11/06/2024 11:30 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I painted the front fenders separate from the inner fenders. I built a stand similar to the attached (more scrap laying around grin ) and used it for one front fender. The other one I used a sawhorse (ran out of scrap tubing. ohwell ) I also used the sawhorse and it's twin to support the nearly fully assembled bed for painting. The inner fenders and other miscellaneous stuff got painted semi-gloss black (so no need to mask off anything if they were painted attached to the front fenders.) EVERYTHING on my truck was painted separately (It shows in a few places, but not a big distraction.) That commercial paint stand pictured is available for about $40, but would probably cost another $40 to ship to me.
Attachments
paint stand.jpg (10.96 KB, 190 downloads)
IMG_5963.JPG (296.6 KB, 191 downloads)
IMG_6028.JPG (336.79 KB, 192 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
I just finished my fenders and I made a stand using 2 x 2, a harbor freight furniture dolly and all thread. I had to put some weight on the base to keep it steady and so it would not flip when it had only one fender. I was able to use this for the front and rear fenders by moving the supports. I only had room for one set of fenders at a time and used this for the body work, prime and paint. Easy to make and disposable. I sprayed the fender underside on a standard body stand as picture in the previous post.
Attachments
Calendar 3 - Fenders Primed.jpg (233.22 KB, 181 downloads)
Front Fender 2.jpg (419.24 KB, 179 downloads)


1954 GMC Series 1
102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thank you for the additional pictures and information about your respective stands. Now I just need to jet myself into gear and actually make something.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1574161 04/02/2025 12:28 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Finally getting back to this project after taking most of the winter off.

I am still working on bed side prep prior to paint and hood alignment but hoping to be ready to paint and begin assembly this spring.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1578284 05/27/2025 12:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I finally got my "paint booth" in my garage done and decent temperatures to start painting some color. Working on parts that need to be assembled like grille cross bars, front splash shield, hood center trim, etc. The tailgate and front box panel are being painted such that they can be taped off for bed liner installation.

Basic plan is to paint parts, assemble, and then paint the areas that need attention due to exposed hardware, scratches, or just poor technique on my part.

Using a single stage urethane paint from Eastwood that seems to go on pretty nice.

I picked up a set of 8 lug 16" x 7" wide wheels. They need some cleaning up and are a little wider than I was hoping for the price was right.
Attachments
20250526_120257[1].jpg (265.89 KB, 124 downloads)
20250526_120302[1].jpg (295.66 KB, 124 downloads)
20250526_091827[1].jpg (268.23 KB, 123 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Installed the first body color part on the truck, seems like a milestone but a long way to go.

Was planning to hang the doors to paint them but the system I set up did not deal with the weight well so I ended up laying them down.
Attachments
20250527_104327.jpg (219 KB, 110 downloads)
20250527_104356.jpg (248.65 KB, 110 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
That looks like Ol' Roy's original color. Is that Mariner Blue?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Eastwood calls it Mack Blue but I think it is close, or the same as Mariner Blue. It's non mettalic, hoping to hide some of my inexperience and be able to touch up easier. I was originally looking to go darker blue but this color always seemed to be coming up whenever I was looking at options.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1578781 06/02/2025 12:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Finished assembly of my grille to the best that the parts would allow (one cross bar mangled a bit) and installed (at least most of the way).

The picture angle is not great but not much room in front of the truck at this point to get a better angle.

I think there are some attachment points that need more hardware but will inquire about that in the appropriate technical forum.
Attachments
20250601_135651.jpg (230.7 KB, 134 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
That is looking very nice. Great work!


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
WICruiser #1579052 06/05/2025 11:19 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Lookin’ Good! Satisfying when it’s finally coming together!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
WICruiser #1579058 06/05/2025 12:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks for the compliments. Getting everything the desired color is very satisfying but only the next step in the process.

My current plan is to paint everything that needs to be body color, paint the bed liner on the interior bed surfaces, put it together, and then see what needs to be repainted/touched up.

As I am working my way down that path I am realizing how much I need to do after I finish with the paint - glass, wiring, etc. etc.

Hopefully a realistic goal being to get it on the road yet this summer.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1579320 06/08/2025 12:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I painted bed liner on the interior surfaces of the box (sides, front, and tailgate) and am in process of assembly of the bed. Having a lift available really helps but I still need to determine the best way to install the bolts in the middle of the bed as I can not reach those locations from the outside.

I still need to install the rear cross sill, square the box (again), and tighten all the bolts/nuts that are in the bed strips (its a lot).
Attachments
20250606_110812.jpg (513.98 KB, 102 downloads)
20250606_110826.jpg (277.02 KB, 101 downloads)
20250607_161327.jpg (210.03 KB, 101 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1579442 06/09/2025 12:57 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Finished assmebly of the bed and installed the tailgate, very tight on the new pivots.

Next up is painting the cab (last major part to be painted) but it will take a lot of masking for all the window and door openings as well as the front/engine area and rear frame area.
Attachments
20250608_143530.jpg (272.63 KB, 89 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Do you cut those bolts down on the side of the fender or does the fender just hide them?


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
The fender hides all except the 2 between the front stake pocket supports. Those 2 are cut down with acorn nuts to make them look reasonably finished.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1579865 06/14/2025 12:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I installed the bed on to the frame.

A word to others assembling the bed prior to installation on the frame, pay attention to the frame mounting hole alignment when installing the wood and strips - I needed to loosen and finess my frame mounting bolt holes in the wood to aling with the cross sills.

Next up is installation of the rear fenders, front fenders, and hood. I have had these all installed multiple times but now that they are painted a lot more care will be required.

I also need to check my steering box adjustment before I install the front fender, access will be much easier that way.
Attachments
20250613_155231.jpg (321.02 KB, 63 downloads)
20250613_155248.jpg (287.81 KB, 63 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1580336 06/19/2025 12:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Fenders and doors are now installed. I need to do some work on the Altman door latch adjustment and insdie door handle connections.

I anticipate doing some paint touch up/repaint before moving on to more electrical and glass installation but at least now it looks like a truck again.
Attachments
20250617_155935.jpg (280.56 KB, 182 downloads)
20250618_160952.jpg (155.6 KB, 181 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1581359 07/01/2025 11:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Running boards were installed without too much paint damage to the rear fenders.

Rear lights were installed and after some challenges (mis wiring, etc.) are working. Installed junction blocks on the inner front fenders and wired horn and front parking/turn lights.

Now working on prep for doing a final once-over paint coat before moving on to glass installation.
Attachments
20250623_163326.jpg (269.34 KB, 166 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I've not got to my wiring yet, but I'm sure it will be an adventure for me. Exciting to see your project moving along.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
John, after all the work you've done so far, the wiring is going to be a piece of cake. There's what, eight circuits on a '46 pickup?

As meticulous as you work, it will probably take you all weekend!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
WICruiser #1582226 07/10/2025 11:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Completed the "final" (I hope) painting of the truck. Now on to interior and electrical efforts.

I had a strange surprise, I had an accumulation of fluid under the seats that was leaking through the drain hole onto the transmission output shaft/u-joint. Apparently the '90's vintage Chevy seats I installed have a fluid reservoir associated with the passenger air bag system I did not realize. When I removed a bunch of the extra junk under the seat prior to install I opened that fluid reservoir to drain onto the floor. At first I thought I had a transmission leak (puddle on the floor under the truck) but finally determined it was the seat leaking, totally unexpected.
Attachments
20250709_130118---low-res.jpg (273.87 KB, 140 downloads)
20250709_130217-low-res.jpg (366.58 KB, 139 downloads)
20250709_130142---low-res.jpg (268.71 KB, 140 downloads)
20250709_130207-low-res.jpg (359.99 KB, 141 downloads)
20250709_132808.jpg (232.68 KB, 140 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1582228 07/10/2025 12:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Another reason added to the list of why I hate modern cars. Leaking fluid from the seat. Good grief!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
WICruiser #1582229 07/10/2025 12:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
When I disconnected the tubing I thought it was just an air pressure type connection but apparently the system required fluid that was less compressable to sense weight on the seat. In retrospect I can understand why it was designed that way but it sure was not expected.

As an engineer I can appreciate the design involved with modern vehicle systems but I am very much an old school car person so as much as I understand the potential of modern systems (like electronic fuel injection) I choose to use an old fashion carburetor.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Just a quick update.

The front wheel studs (original) were 1/2" where the rear are now 9/16" due to the install of the 14-bolt rear axle. I have the front hubs at my local machinist currently being resized for the new 9/16" wheel studs.

Once the new wheel studs are in place and hubs reinstalled I am planning to pull the trigger on getting tires for the "new to me" 16" wheels so that the truck could actually be driven down the road. The current wheels/tires hold air but their age and the multipart wheel construction is not something I want to trust even for a short drive.

Hoping to get the parts I need to install the window related parts back in the doors today via UPS but not sure when I will get them installed.

I am in a holding pattern on anything external on the body pending my son making a trip to WI from AZ to see if he can salvage my paint job. Although I think I need to remove the grille as I forgot to install the clip nuts on the lower cross bar that attach to the lower shield. I can not see anyway to get them in place without at least removing the hood latch plate and maybe the entire grille.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1587506 09/16/2025 12:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
My son, a more professional painter than myself came home for a week to "fix" my paint. After sanding, repainting, wet sanding, and buffing the paint looks pretty good (and shows all of my body work failures).

I was going to attach a video he took but the file size is too large. I will need to see if I can resize it.

On to more details like door internals and windows as well as exterior trim parts.

Still hoping to have an initial road test before winter sets in.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
We'd love to see the video, but you'd have to post it somewhere (Youtube?) and include a link here.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
I love the way the 3600 looks with those giant wheels and tires.

Is that all your corn in the background?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
That is not our corn, we own an old fram house on about 3 acres surrounded by farm fields that were part of the original farm.

I will see if I can load the video to U-tube or somewhere and post a link here.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Hopefully this link will work for the video of the paint job. The link was not working so it was deleted.


Still needs a fair amount of work including refinishing the rear bumper.

Last edited by WICruiser; 09/17/2025 9:02 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Link didn't work for me.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Nor me. "Video unavailable"


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Sorry, it originally worked for me but now it does not so I need to determine what I did wrong. I will edit the post to remove the link and post a new link when I have it sorted out.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1587701 09/18/2025 12:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Let me try to post a link again: https://youtube.com/shorts/dQ2kPG7Q4BI

I think previously the problem was the link was not considered public, hopefully this time it is viable for anyone who cares to watch.

Last edited by Phak1; 09/19/2025 6:19 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1587703 09/18/2025 12:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Looking good


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
WICruiser #1587704 09/18/2025 12:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
The video works and your truck looks incredible! Nice work.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I'm glad the video works now and that it doesn't show the body work problems that are apparent when you see it in person.

I'm glad my son was able to fix my previous paint job and get it looking as good as it does. Overall I am pretty happy with how the project is going but it has been a long slow process (going on 4 year now) and I have a ways to go before I consider it done enough to transition from a project to a daily driver (that still needs things done over time).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by WICruiser
.....but it has been a long slow process (going on 4 year now)......
HA HA HA. 4 years is just a flash. I'm at 10 years, although I was on the road after 9. wink

You truck looks very nice. I noticed a few dents on the back of the cab, but overall, you did well.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
WICruiser #1587810 09/19/2025 12:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Four years might sound like a significant chunk of time, but for many of us, myself included, it's barely a warm-up. I've been pouring my heart, soul, and probably a small fortune into my build for six years now, and I can easily see at least another year, if not more, on the horizon.

Life, as it often does, has a funny way of throwing curveballs, and each one seems to present a new project or an unexpected delay, ensuring that the light at the end if the tunnel keeps its distance and the journey of perfecting this truck is far from over.

Last edited by Phak1; 09/19/2025 6:18 PM. Reason: Spacing typo

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 274
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 274
Geez, you’re all killing me 😂 I’m only two years in and still have a non-roller.
Your truck looks great. I sort of like the presence of war wounds that have been acquired from 70 years of work.


1950 3100w/63K
Farm Truck: Fame-up restoration / modification
Follow the restoration story in his Project Journal
1950 Styleline Deluxe Coupe w/93K
WICruiser #1587928 09/20/2025 12:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thank you all for you kind words and confirmation that my time to date is neither unusual or problematic.

Paul, I remember those days when the frame was out for blasting and painting. Pretty hard to manuver around the heavy stuff much less find space for all of the bulky stuff (cab included) when you are at that stage of things.

As noted life does throw curve balls, right now I am in process of refurbishing our master bedroom that has sidelined truck progress. There is a bit more urgency to the bedroom project as sleeping in the dining room does include some challenges.

Last edited by Phak1; 10/12/2025 9:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by WICruiser
Paul, I remember those days when the frame was out for blasting and painting. Pretty hard to manuver around the heavy stuff much less find space for all of the bulky stuff (cab included) when you are at that stage of things.
I rented a storage unit to house my parts because I couldn’t maneuver to do any work, and I didn’t want to leave anything outside in the elements.

Last edited by Phak1; 09/20/2025 1:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
WICruiser #1589503 10/12/2025 12:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Yesterday was a milestone day as the truck made its first trip down the road. I made a trip around the block (so to speak) which for me is about 5 miles.

The good: The engine ran well and the transmission shifted through all the gears. The speedometer calibration went well. The engine oil pressure, coolant temperature, and charging voltage all were good. Driving down the 2 lane country road at 60 mph wasn't scary, steering, and braking worked fairly well (see below). Both the interior and driver's side rear view mirrors seemed stable (not excessive vibration). It may have been the excitement of actually driving it but the interior noise level didn't seem too bad.

The not so good (not really bad but): The engine idle speed was high (like 2,000 rpm) but was able to be adjusted down to 6-700 after the drive without any problem. The steering wheel is off center when driving straight (need to adjust my drag link). There was a tendency for the rear brakes to lock up if I hit the brakes too hard - I suspect I need to investigate how to modify the system to avoid this problem when the bed is empty.

I need to retrain myself to remember that the truck does not have self cancelling turn signals.

A post trip inspection did not reveal any new concerns. I need to complete some loaded (engine load not necesarily truck load) miles to breakin the engine and probably need to do some carburetor calibration work (seems pretty rich). I need to get the toe in checked because I do not trust my tape measure technique. And I need to make a trip to the gas staion as I have a low fuel warning now, this will help me know how much fuel is left in the tank at low fuel warning and then calculate how much of the 16 gllon tank capacity I can actually plan on using.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Nice! Sounds like the truck is running great. I got goose bumps reading about your experience. I hope I have the same when it comes time for my first drive. Congrats!


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Great news on the maiden voyage! thumbs_up Any chance there's at least a still picture or two to see? headscratch

Sounds like your "not really bad but" issues aren't big or serious. smile On the rear brake early lock up, did you install a proportioning valve to manage front to rear brake bias (I haven't gone back through the earlier post on your brake upgrade to check)? If you did, but it a set valve (not adjustable), you may need to investigate installing an adjustable proportioning valve so you can manage the brake front/rear engagement.

Looking forward to more on your project. grin


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Sorry, I keep forgetting to get pictures as the truck is these days.

The brake system (power booster and proportioning valve) are from a '90's S10 that is not adjustable so an adjustable version is one of the items on my list of things to install.

I took a second test drive to fill the fuel tank and now my idle speed is too low, engine stalls at all the stop signs, so adjusted again after this trip. I noticed more noises this trip but I am not sure they are new or just being noticed. The fuel tank took 13.4 gallons to fill and automatic shut off on the pump didn't work well so spilled fuel over the rear fender. I am planning on 13 gallons of fuel consumption between full and low woth 1, maybe 2 gallons of fuel available at the low fuel warning level.

I remembered to check engine rpm at 60 mph this trip and it is 2100-2200 rpm so in the expected range (4.10 ratio rear axle, NV3500 5th gear overdrive).

The engine (383 SBC) seems really strong and pulls well from low rpms.

For general driving without a load 1st gear is not really needed as starting in 2nd works fine.

Fuel pressure is reading 6 psi which is higher than I would like so I may install a regulator to drop it down to 4 psi. I think the Holley inlet needle should be able to handle 6 psi but it is getting too close to the edge for my comfort.

I need to get my driver's door window problem resolved so the window can be installed and do some testing of the heater system as the weather is not going to stay warm much longer. I also need to install the door seals I received a while ago but not really looking forward to removing the doors for the installation.

I'm hoping to get some miles on the truck before winter sets in and compiling a list of items that require my attention during the winter months.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I went out and grabbed a few pictures. I do not have access to the photo editor I typically use but I think they should be okay.
Attachments
20251012_110925[1].JPG (206.05 KB, 83 downloads)
20251012_110841.jpg (175.67 KB, 83 downloads)
20251012_110856[1].JPG (282.77 KB, 84 downloads)
20251012_110911.jpg (213.93 KB, 85 downloads)
20251012_111120[1].JPG (278.31 KB, 84 downloads)
20251012_111140[1].JPG (188.11 KB, 84 downloads)
20251012_111202.jpg (271.85 KB, 84 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
A fine job of the pictures and your truck! Love seeing it. thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by WICruiser
I need to get my driver's door window problem resolved so the window can be installed and do some testing of the heater system as the weather is not going to stay warm much longer. I also need to install the door seals I received a while ago but not really looking forward to removing the doors for the installation.
After the doors on my truck were adjusted, I drilled a hole the same size as my small phillips head screwdriver to use as realignment pins. I’ve had my doors off and back on, a few times now and the alignment is spot on.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
WICruiser #1589573 10/13/2025 12:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Gdads51, thanks for the compliment on the pictures and the truck. My wife asked if this meant I was done with the project but I assured her that I have a long ways to go, just not stuff that is as obvious as the exterior and paint.

Phak1, thanks for the tip on a door alignment pin.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
In process of collecting parts (master and adjustable proportioning valve) to revise the brake system and hopefully resolve the rear wheel lock up condition. I am planning to use a 1.250" straight bore master with the front brakes directly connected to the master and a 2 port adjustable proportioning valve in the line from the master to the rear brakes. It may require a little creative brake line work to connect everything and have it look decent but I do not expect it too be difficult. I'm hoping to be able to dial in the proportioning valve before winter.

It has been raining here a lot lately and I do not have functional wipers at this time so between the brakes and the lack of wipers the truck has been parked.

I am planning to add heat/sound deading materials to the interior of the cab before I install a head liner, sun visors, etc. (none of which I have at the moment).

I need to sort out why my interior light does not work. I know the harness I installed is setup for the light to be controlled by door switches (which I don't have) or the headlight switch but what I have now is a power lead (I think) going to a small rocker switch that replaced the original, feeding the light using the light body as the ground.

I found that my low beam headlights were not working but high beams were. I traced the problem to the foot operated high beam switch and found that when I mounted the switch the connector body had contacted adjacent bolt heads the pushed the electrical portion of the switch out of place. Once I pushed the electrical portion of the switch into place everything worked so I added spacers under the dimmer switch to provide clearance. I still need to aim the headlights.

I adjusted my drag link to get the steering wheel closer to centered when driving straight. I still need to get the toe in checked/adjusted.

My winter project list seems to grow everytime I think about what needs to be done.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1590233 10/23/2025 12:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by WICruiser
...It has been raining here a lot lately and I do not have functional wipers at this time...

I'm hoping I can Rain-X my windshield until I figure out what I want to do with my wipers.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
People probably get sick of me saying this all the time but I use RainX on all my vehicles - even the ones with working electric wipers. I actually disconnected the useless vacuum wipers on Der Bismarck and use RainX only.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
WICruiser #1590264 10/23/2025 12:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks Otto, I have seen your comment previously and if it was only the wipers I would probably try the RainX approach but given the brakes I don't want to trust it on wet pavement.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Oh ya, fix the brakes, first. I don't even like driving modern cars in the rain if I can avoid it.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I installed a straight bore (1.250") master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve into the rear brake line from the master replacing the S10 parts that came with the pedal assembly I modified/used.

I still need to get some experience with the adjustable proportioning valve before considering its setting finalized but at least now I can press the brakes resonably hard without locking up the rears. I may consider changing the valve setting if/when the truck is loaded to increase the rear brake pressures.

I ordered a few parts to finish out some of the exterior and to work on the interior. I plan to install Peal and Seal aluminum faced sound deading material (not what the home improvement stores sell it for) before I install a headliner. I also plan to get the door seals installed and the doors remounted prior to installing sound deading material in them (they are heavy enough already).

Most of this is going to be winter project work while I am keeping the truck off the snowy and ice covered roads.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I took the truck for its first longer (only 10 miles) trip to continue to shake out operational areas that need attention.

No real surprises with the engine coolant temperature stabilizing at approx. 180 degrees, charging voltage stable at approx. 14.7 volts, engine oil pressure about 60 psi intially at 2000 rpm dropping to 40 psi after everything got warmed up with idle oil pressure approx 20 psi. The need to do some carburetor calibration work continues to show up with a slight hesitation when accellerating from idle and tendency to run-on when shutting down (idle is a little high - 750 rpm) and the perception that overall the calibration is rich. The engine has a lot of torque and easily runs down country roads at 60 mph (approx. 2100 rpm) with a lot of pedal left if there ever was a need for more speed.

The braking performance was good although I didn't make any attempts to stop quickly.

I turned the heater fan on breifly and the cab seemed to warm quickly but it was about 50 degrees outside so not surprising.

I have an appointment to have the toe in checked/set as it is currently set using a tape measure. It must be fairly close as it drives fairly well but the steering wheel does jump around a bit on uneven roads.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I admit that I haven't read your entire thread - yet, but 60mph sounds good. Are you still running the 4.11 rear end and with the trans final drive making it 3.05? I'm hoping to at least get 60mph on my build with a 3.55 and stock 4-speed.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Utah, you will have no problem doing 60+ with your rebuilt engine. I do that with a leaky worn out 216 without breaking a sweat!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
WICruiser #1590897 10/31/2025 12:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I am running a 4.10 rear axle with the NV3500 overdrive (0.78 ratio) so I believe that equates to a 3.2 final ratio but I am also running a 383 SBC so I have a lot more engine torque available than those running a version of the in-line 6 cylinder engines.

Engine speed at 60 mph will vary depending on tire size in addition to overal drive ratio. I was trying to get taller tires to be closer to the original and lowest engine speed but settled for LT215/85R16's that seemed to be the best combination of diameter and width (narrow) for ease of turning (no power steering).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Winter has arrived here so I am officially into the winter project mode on the truck.

I have several items on the to-do list including - finishing the wiper installation, installing sound deadening material inside the cab/doors, installing the door seals (which will require door removal/installation when I may try to improve alignment), installing tie down anchors in the bed area, install the headliner, resolve my dome light function, and I suspect several other items I have forgotten at the moment.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/29/2026 2:30 PM.

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Slowly working my way through the winter project list. So far I have finished installing the wipers (although I am not sure there isn't a problem, sweep is narrow), installed sound deadening material in the rear and roof of the cab, removed the oil filled bladder from the passenger seat ('90's Chevy air bag sensor related),installed door seals, installed tie down anchors in the bed, installed vinyl lettering on my tailgate, and resolved my dome light function.

I need to obtain door windlace materials for installation prior to proceeding with the headliner installation.

I haven't decided if I will add sound deadening materials in the doors or not.

The door removal, seal installation, and door installation went better than I had feared. The drilling of alignment holes in the hinges prior to removal really helped get the alignment back upon installation.

Next up is probably the refinishing of the rear bumper from damaged chrome to canvas white paint to match the front bumper.
Attachments
20260109_120326.jpg (174.2 KB, 148 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 01/11/2026 2:20 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Glad to hear you are able to continue progress even during these winter months! thumbs_up

Last edited by Gdads51; 01/11/2026 2:45 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by WICruiser
I haven't decided if I will add sound deadening materials in the doors or not.

At a minimum, I would install at least one sheet in the middle of the door. That will deaden the sound immensely and take away the oil can sound when you close the door.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by WICruiser
I haven't decided if I will add sound deadening materials in the doors or not….

Next up is probably the refinishing of the rear bumper from damaged chrome to canvas white paint to match the front bumper.
What Phil said about sound deadening on the doors. Even just a blob of roofing tar will help, although that would be smelly.

FYI, Rustoleum canvas white is a good match for the back grille bars on a painted grille, but the bumpers and hubcaps on 52 & 53 trucks (Korean war era) were a grey color. I think it was called Arctic Grey. But you can use whatever you want.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thanks for the input regarding the sound deadening for the doors.

I used canvas white on the front bumper to match the back grille bars so plan to continue the theme on the back bumper. I am not going for anything approaching original on my truck even though I am keeping the overall appearance close to stock. The interior and drive train are nothing close to original (bucket seats with integrated seat/sholder belts, SBC engine, NV3500 transmission, and 14-bolt rear axle).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
WICruiser #1595853 01/12/2026 12:40 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Matching your front bumper color is good with me. thumbs_up Carry on.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have installed the door windlace (except the bottom - soon), and inner door panels. Next up is the headliner and the lower door windlace seal.

I am procrastinating on the rear bumper just because it is in place and I can ignore it too easily.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by WICruiser
... Next up is the headliner ...

I need to do my headliner at some point and thought I'd wait until summer when the garage is nice and warm. Not sure if that will help or not.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I have completed the windlace installation (including the bottom), the inner door panels, headliner, sun visors, and painted the rear bumper.

I didn't take any pictures of the interior work (really not picture worthy) but the rear view with the bumper painted is attached.

While projects like this are really never done I think I can consider this the completion of this project for my project journal.

I cannot begin to thank all those who contributed to my ability to "complete" this project over the last 4 plus years. This forum has been a weath of information and a resource that anyone working on one of these trucks must be aware of and be thankful for.

I plan to continue to try to assist others through the various technical sub-forums and I suspect that there will be specific "opportunities" to request help regarding my truck as it gets utilized as a combination driver/show (not really) truck in coming months/years.

Please consider moving this to the "completed project" section of the Project Journals section of the website.
Attachments
20260328_085041.jpg (372.1 KB, 88 downloads)


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
That's pretty cool. Now drive it like ya stole it!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Thanks for the ride along! Great job. As for the rear look I suggest a sleeve over the tailgate chains to keep them from rubbing paint.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Just registered my truck and Utah no longer has: Collector, Antique, Vintage,... plates anymore. Your truck turned out great!

Last edited by UtahYork; 03/28/2026 7:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Truck looks great and glad to hear it's ready for the road and fun times. thumbs_up Have enjoyed watching and trying to help as the project progressed. Looking forward to seeing a picture or three in the Who uses their truck as a truck? thread. Any excuse to drive and enjoy counts! thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
WICruiser #1600772 03/29/2026 12:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Thank you all for the compliments. The plan is to drive it somewhat regularly weather permitting.

I do plan to add chain protectors but haven't decided on which version I will use so I continue to procrastinate (I'm good at that).

I certainly hope to find the opportunity to post pictures in the "Who uses their truck as a truck" thread although I suspect hauling golf clubs doesn't really qualify.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Dear Stovebolt Members,

It is my pleasure to announce the newest featured journal in our Completed Journal forum – a spectacular “restomod” project submitted by WICruser.

This frame off "restomod" project, completed almost entirely by WiCruiser, with some expert painting help from his son, features a 1950 Chevy 3600 powered by a 383 SBC coupled to a NV3500 transmission, 14 bolt rear axle w/ 4.10 ratio and a new custom drive shaft. To safely stop the truck with increased boost in power, he has added modern front disc brakes. The existing body has undergone massive metal replacement and a complete paint job tops off this impressive build.

WICruser’s journey began in December 2021 and has now spanned more than four years of dedication, problem‑solving, and craftsmanship. The journal provides a step‑by‑step account of the challenges faced, the solutions devised, and the final results that truly honor the spirit of a classic Chevy truck, while delivering modern performance and highway speeds.

We encourage every member to visit the Completed Journal forum, read the detailed write‑up from the beginning, view the accompanying photos, and share your thoughts, questions, or feedback. Whether you’re looking for inspiration for your own project or simply enjoy seeing classic trucks reborn, this journal is a must‑read.


Best regards,
Phil

Moderator - Project Journal Forum

Last edited by Phak1; 03/30/2026 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0