The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (BC59), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1432687 12/07/2021 7:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 56
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 56
Hello Bolters,

I have a problem with my patina truck. Every time it rains I get these stains on my car. I can't rub them off so they just stay that way for a couple of weeks.
Because it is a patina truck I used a mixture of white spirit and boiled linseed oil to protect it and make it shine a bit more.

Does somebody know how to prevent this from happening and how to remove them again?

With kind regards,
Thijs


Ps. I know that a prevention is to keep it out of the rain, but because i live in the Netherlands the rain is very unpredictable.
Attachments
20211207_201353.jpg (274.15 KB, 105 downloads)
20211207_201355.jpg (224.65 KB, 101 downloads)

Last edited by GREEN51CHEVY; 12/07/2021 7:28 PM.

1951 Chevy 1300
"Selling trees in the Netherlands"
Follow along in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
BLO (boiled linseed oil) is water resistant but not water proof.

Here is something I just happened to see. Floor polish:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/retaining-that-patina-finish/

I'm sure you are aware that the ultimate solution is automotive clearcoat.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
WD-40? I have heard of car guys using that instead of waxing their cars.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by buoymaker
BLO (boiled linseed oil) is water resistant but not water proof.

Here is something I just happened to see. Floor polish:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/retaining-that-patina-finish/

I'm sure you are aware that the ultimate solution is automotive clearcoat.

Interesting.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Haven't had a hankering to go the patina route but just wondering once the linseed oil aged a bit if a good coat of turtle wax would keep the sheen and do away with the rain spots...anyone tried waxing?


Had an old 54 Chevy that I rubbed down with diesel fuel and it really brought out the color. Bad part is we lived on a dirt road and everyone thought I drove a red car for about a month.... but no rain spots!

...and then there was the time I rubbed the old faded out lawn mower with 30 wt. motor oil.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
In the military, we used a floor wax and buffer to make the old worn-cracked battleship gray linoleum look like glass.
It looked great and got us thumbs-up during base inspections.
Then the fire marshal would chew us out because the wax in a wooden barracks was a fire hazard.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Mr. Miyagi says "Wax on- - - - -Wax off!" Plain old hard Carnuba wax such as Johnson's Paste Wax,- - - - -apply it to about a 1 square foot area with a damp cloth, then rub the excess off with a soft cotton towel before it dries completely. It will buff to a good shine, either with a lot of hand rubbing or a wool polishing bonnet on an oscillating buffer. It's labor-intensive but effective.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0