Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | I have had several vacuum wiper motors rebuilt over the years, and it's always worked out fine. But, I'm thinking that it is a little silly to send off the motor out of my 53 half ton project, without trying it first. My question is: While I have it out, is there something that I can do, or put in it, that will give it a better chance of working well after it's installed and hooked up?
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I squirted some 3-in-1 oil in mine which improved things. But I finally installed an electric one. I was tired of playing a gas pedal dance while going uphill while it was snowing.
Last edited by Wally / Montana; 12/03/2021 6:34 PM.
1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 56 | What is the problem with the motor? You can easily rebuild the motors yourself. Most of the time the grease inside is dried out so it becomes stuck. I recently opened mine and cleaned everything. It was just stuck because the grease was dried out. After that everything worked good. Be careful with the paper gaskets. They are very brittle! But if they break (or you want them replaced just in case) you can order new ones pretty easily. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | GREEN51CHEVY,
"Be careful with the paper gaskets."
Where did you get/buy your gaskets?
Or, did you make them? If you made them, what material did you use, and, where did you buy the material? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | As far as I know there's nothing wrong with my motor. It is free, and feels fairly smooth. I just thought, while it's on the bench, I might as well do what I can to improve my odds of it working once it's installed. I'm curious to know what would be the ideal lubricant for it? Also, my linkage is free, but I'd like to lubricate the pivot points on them. Is there anything that would be better than just light oil?
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 56 | I used brake fluid. I heard that it isn't good for the engine, but i almost never use the wipers. I think light oil is fine. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 38 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 38 | Mike, I agree with GREEN51CHEVY. They are not difficult to open, clean old hardened grease, relubricate (you can see from the original that grease was used - I have used white lithium grease with good results) and reassemble. Unless you run across something that is broken you should be good to go. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2020 Posts: 261 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2020 Posts: 261 | A little late to this, but FWIW to get mine freed up I used air tool oil with it in the truck - put some in the line and used some regulated air pressure (light pressure) to push the oil in; gently coaxed the wipers to move and eventually got it working like a champ. That was over a year ago and they worked great all fall. They get a lot of use up here, and ya I know going uphill is always a challenge but I get a kick out of them. The truck had been parked since 1998.
I'd suggest running the stock wipers & blades too, when I got mine the truck had some heavier arms and wiper blades on them - reading a little on it they may create too much friction for these; and certainly with the lighter stock setup they really move well.
1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver OT Vehicles: 1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six 1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts) 1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway) 1973 F250 4x4 Highboy 1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 | According to Ficken Wiper Service, the wiper motors need to be operated regularly to keep the mechanism free and the seals pliable. The worst thing is to never use them.
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2020 Posts: 114 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2020 Posts: 114 | I got tired of not knowing if mine would work or not, went with an electrical motor, not the easiest thing to put in but had worse jobs
woof359 Family 1952 3100 5 Window
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 | I have not looked into mine for operating yet...too much other truck fixes to deal with, but I noticed that the knob on top of the dash seems to be spring loaded and goes back to original position. Is it supposed to lock in place?
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,290 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,290 | It should remain in whatever position you place it in , when operating the wipers - full clockwise would be "fast" and as you turn it back counterclockwise it will slow down the wiper speed and when placed fully counterclockwise the wipers would stop in the down or home position. Try lubricating the cable ?
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | |
| |