Has anyone on here shortened a 1 ton. I am looking at a 1 ton with a 9 foot bed. I understand the sheet metal of the box but is there a logical place to shorten the frame? How much did you shorten it? What did you do about drive shaft?
Do not cut the 9ft bed. They are rare as hens teeth. Find a long/short bed to mount on your shortened frame and sell the 9 footer to someone doing a restore.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Though you didn't mention a year, the 55-9 frames lose their length between the front and rear cab mounts, though the link is for long and short beds, not one ton per se.
Why shorten a 1-ton? They are *way* cooler than 1/2-tons
Just sayin'
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I'll be interested in the bedsides, running boards, and aprons if you decide to do something like that. Please don't cut those up. I'll drive to KY from FL for those parts
Liquidated my projects Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Dave -- Were we successful in preventing you from doing something very regrettable?
I think the reason no one 'fessed up to shortening a 1-ton is that they know the rest of us would pummel them if they did. Besides, were you to sell a set of original, good condition (restoreable) 1-ton bed parts, you could probably make enough to buy excellent new and US made parts from Mar K or others for a 1/2ton bed.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I've got a nice cut of prime filet, but I want a hamburger- - - - -can anybody recommend what kind of meat grinder I should use? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Heck sell the whole truck, or dont buy it if you haven't bought it already. Buy what your after, dont ruin a truck designed to be a truck. Many of us would love to have, and use it as designed. Got any pics?
First off, it's your truck do what you want to it.
Anyhow, The 3800 truck frame is flat on top, there's no rear axle arch. Once you figure out where you want your axle, you could just whack the end of the frame off.
If you're wanting a shorter, lower truck, the 3800 probably isn't the best option to start with. You would need to c notch the frame in the rear. As far as the front goes, the 3800 is quite a bit different than the 3100 or 3600 trucks, so lowering may be an issue. A new chassis, or find someone parting out a 3100 may be the way to go.