The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ed Atkisson, Steelonsteel), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,490
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1423914 09/14/2021 1:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Went to Walmart to get oil today, they only carry synthetic which I really don’t need, another price gouging opportunity!

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
There are about a dozen reasons that synthetic is better. It is more expensive. But lasts longer between changes so it's not more expensive. Now that oil production has been greatly halted and America may have to buy it again, non synthetic/conventional oil for automotive may "dry up". So there won't be much or any. That would increase it's price to the max. So better get used to man made oil until there is a change back to American production.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Check the Walmart house brand synthetic. I can't speak for everywhere but here it's as cheap as the brand name dino oil. 5W-20 is $14.65 a gallon and 0W-20 is $16.48 a gallon.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
If your engine is built right, synthetic oil will work just fine. Loose bearings and old seals don't care for it to much.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
The idea that a synthetic "lubricant" the consistency of water can be used to effectively lubricate, and more importantly, cushion the patrts of an engine with the clearances specified for stovebolts, is utterly ludicrous. The upper viscosity of a multi-weight oil is irrelevent, as the actual thickness of the oil film remains at the lower number, regardless of temperature or load. That can be tested by anyone open-minded enough to drill a test hole in a measuring cup and use a stopwatch to check how long a measured volume of various SAE number oils take to drain out. Of course, no one will do that, as it just might blow holes in their preconceived ideas and make them admit they're wrong.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
A person can make their own choice by reading up on it. Noting ASTM tests and information available on the internet....or they can play jr. scientist and watch oil drain from a hole in a cup. Up to the open minded individual.

"conventional 5W-30 motor oil is a petroleum-based oil that is thick at low temperatures and thin at high temperatures. To change this variance, oil manufacturers use additives to change the oil's properties, reducing its viscosity at lower temperatures and thickening the oil at higher temperatures. When it's freshly made, conventional 5W-30 motor oil acts like its synthetic counterpart, but over time, the chemical additives break down or vaporize, returning the oil to its original consistency.

By contrast, synthetic oils are designed to match a specific type of multi-grade oil from the beginning. Even without additives, a synthetic 5W-30 motor oil will not degrade or change viscosity–it may only become slightly thicker from contaminants."

Hearst Auto Research, Car and Driver Publications.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
Like I said, build the engine with the correct bearing clearances, then oil viscosity has little effect on the engine. When they quit making conventional oil or you can no longer find it, what then?

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
My father started selling lubricants in the mid 1930's and I still sell lubricants. Almost everything that is petroleum based is backordered. I haven't looked at the automotive department in a while so I don't know what they have in stock. Right at the moment I can't get any soda in glass bottles, no plastic cups for fountain drinks, air filters have tripled in price and the list goes on. I lived through the shortages of the 1970's, but it is nothing like what is going on now. I have been using Mobil One 15W50 in all of my older gasoline engines for about 10 years and most of them I haven't changed in 10 years. I am currently using Mobil Delvac 15W40 on all my Diesel engine. I am strongly considering the Cummins recommended Valvoline 15W40 for my Diesel engines. I currently change oil every 15,000 in my Cummins powered Internationals but I think I could save money by switching to synthetic and extending drain intervals. But for my old GMC gas engines, my 1962 Farmall I like the Mobil One 15W50 synthetic. It was actually developed for racing engines, etc. but it does just fine in older looser engines.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 85
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 85
I have been using wally 30w for a couple years in my wore out 216 with good results. It is apparently for older Detroit diesels as it says on the jug not to use in newer vehicles, I think it says only for farm and construction use. I bought a couple gallons a couple weeks ago, if it is important to you I can look on the jug. Also EdPruss, it is always located away from other motor oil, it is over by 2 cycle and gear or hydraulic type oils. If I had known there was going to be a test I wold have paid more attention. Maybe Ill see if I can get some more tomorrow.

Product details
Maintain your off highway vehicle's engine in higher temperatures and keep it running cleaner for longer with SuperTech Heavy Duty SAE 30 Motor Oil. Engineered for 2-stroke off road diesel fleet and farm engines, and some 4-storke gasoline engines subjected to severe use in varying climate conditions. Compatible with most standard and synthetic oils, this heavy-duty motor oil will help protect your vehicle's engine against harmful deposits and acids and ensure it runs smoothly for a long time to come. Provides high oxidation stability, extreme pressure anti-wear protection against valve train wear and scuffing of highly loaded parts exposed to boundary lubrication. For use in high-temperature environments. Recommended for API CF-2 and CF/SG applications. Not intended for use in on highway vehicles.

Super Tech Conventional HD 30, 1 Gallon

I have taken the "not intended for highway use" to mean higher zinc for old camshafts, but that's just me.


1949 3100
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 85
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Went to Walmart to get oil today, they only carry synthetic which I really don’t need, another price gouging opportunity!

Ed


Don't mean to beat this to death but if you don't want to go to the store, I just ordered online and recieved the above mentioned oil in about 4 days, Free shipping over $35, delivered to the house, who doesn't need 4 gal. eventually?


1949 3100

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0