The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, Wally / Montana, Jeff Ogden, Peggy M, amtrakjoe, moparguy, mvigo, walter74), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142635 06/14/2004 7:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
I was able to go get the '50 4100 and bring it home last night. It didn't go too bad. Now I can't wait to get home and give it a good look over. The VIN on the door pillar is: 1TJ-E 1345. Can anyone decode that? The engine appears to be a later 235 with an 848 head on it, but I will find out for sure once I can get things cleaned up and read more of the numbers.

The owner gave me a full set of brand new brake shoes with four wheel cylinder rebuild kits and new rear axle seals with it too.

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
Well the engine casting number is 3837004, which I come up with as a '55-'57 235/261. All the clues are pointing to 235. The number behind the distributor appears to have 2 different numbers stamped one over the other, and the predominant one appears that it might match the title. I found a decoder for the VIN and it comes up as a '50 4100 series (1-1/2 ton) 137" wheel base built in Flint in the month of May.

Some of the wheels are looking a little spooky also. I know that Chevy used these same ones for a while, so I can probably dig up some better ones, but this might also be a good time to change out to a different kind of wheel. I am not real fond of the split rims, but as long as they are in decent shape they don't bother me too much. Are there other wheels available out there, used or new, that could be used?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Late model 10-lug 19.5" wheels are one piece, and bolt right up, BUT, the center hole is slightly bigger. In 54 and up the whole is exact, I had them on my 54 2-ton. You can then run 8r 19.5" radials, makes better ride and handling. Not much smaller in diameter than 20" either. I was always going to experiment with having a small 1/8" square ring made on a lathe to tack into wheels to fit on hubs closer. The weight is supposed to be carried on the hub, not studs. BUT, if you use the trim rings available in 5 lug for front and 10-lug for back wheels, I think you could spread the tension around enough to run those new wheels fine. I have seen later model splits on many junkers I brought home, and mixed styles, didn't seem to be a problem for many years. Delivery trucks, motorhomes and the HD3500 Super Duty 1-ton Chevs have those wheels. Even up to last years models. Check a big truck or ag tire store for used.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I might have to start looking around a bit.

Aaron


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0