The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (mick53, 1955 1 Series, klhansen, Shade Baby), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1419051 08/01/2021 7:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 52
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 52
Is there any binifit to having 6 lug lug or 5 lugs? I know it’s best to have same front and rear but is it any benefits in one or the other?

Csims #1419053 08/01/2021 7:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Not having to carry 2 spares.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Csims #1419055 08/01/2021 7:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Larger variety of sizes and wheel designs available with the 5 lug configuration in both stock and aftermarket wheels.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Csims #1419078 08/01/2021 10:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 52
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 52
Thanks for the replies. I will in the future be putting a m11 front suspension. I am looking for a rear end and wanted to get them to match as far as the lugs.

Csims #1419221 08/03/2021 4:46 AM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Yeah, I am looking at the same idea. The MII front end from Tuckers has a 5x4.75 pattern, the same as the 2000s 4WD S10 axle that is the correct width. That combo gives power steering, 4 wheel disks, and a posi rear end (if you get a G80) for a pretty good deal.

I have the 5" wide rims now and want to go wider so I have more tire options. The 5-lug pattern is more common, so the aftermarket has many more choices. It doesn't hurt that I am partial to 5 spoke rims. My first car had torq-thrust 2s and I have been stuck with an enduring love for them ever since.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Csims #1419224 08/03/2021 5:59 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Have you considered a narrowed Ferd Explorer 8.8 rear end? Piles of those in wreckers. I got a 97 rear with posi, complete with good pads, an extra passenger axle (in order to narrow the rear), and cables for $120 at my wrecker. 5x4.5” bolt pattern.

If you are a decent enough welder or have a capable buddy, narrowing one of these rears is a very good option. I did this in my wife’s 62 Rambler American. 56.5” WMS TO WMS if you’re curious.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0