The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (TS3600, cmayna, Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny, TexasJim50, klhansen, Shaffer's1950, Oswald), 56 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,281
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1413865 06/14/2021 6:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
I just finished installing the drag link rebuild kit for my 1950 chev 3100. In order to get the cotter pin through the end caps I had to use a long extention on the ratchet to get the end cap in. Now the drag link ball seem way to tight as I can not move it in any direction by hand. I have not used any grease yet which may be my problem? Should it be these tight on both the axle end and pitman arm end?

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Are you sure you got it assembled correctly? The rebuild kit I used had a couple different spacers. One spacer had a longer stem which might restrict compression of he spring.

You should have pre-greased the parts on assembly, but even grease wouldn't help if it's overtightened (especially if the balls are worn).

The service manual says:

"...tighten plug snugly to remove all end play of ball.

2. Back off screw plug one complete turn plus amount necessary to insert cotter pin and lock adjustment.

Ball joints must be tight enough to prevent end play and yet loose enough to allow free movement.
Be sure sockets have ample lubrication.
"

Granted, "snugly" is a pretty vague value, but they have to be able to move.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I've always run it up tight with a ratchet (compressing the tension spring) and then back it off to the next cotter pin hole. You should never put a breaker bar or impact gun on it as you will damage something.

Mike B smile

Last edited by Mike B; 06/15/2021 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Okay back to the drawing board. Kevin there is the longer spacer on the one side so I could switch that to a shorter one. I will also start with liberal use of grease and see what happens. I think I might try taking everything out and just run the cap through to make sure all the threads are good. But clearly I have something wrong

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Okay got it. Mine only has the one cotter pin hole on each end on both sides. On one side I went with the shorter spacer and on the other end I notif you looked through one end of the cotter pin hole to the other side it was nor perfectly aligned. So I enlarged thenhole slightly on one side and all is good!!!

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
I just read in the tech section of the forum a tip for rebuilding a drag link that the cups are not the same diameter as the ball which created tight steering so the tip is to lap the cups so it loosens a bit. I will probably wait until I resemble my truck (frame still bare) but if I find hard steering that’s what I will do as I find the movement now is far from lose but at least I can move around with some effort

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Wrong part: Turns out I had the wrong ball joints: Ordered new ones from The Filling Station and all is as it should be

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Back when that type of drag link was in general use, it was pretty common practice to drill an extra cotter pin hole in the link so a finer adjustment could be made on the spring preload. 90 degrees of turn instead of 180 gave us a better range of adjustment.
jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0