The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
Tonight I discovered that the new rear axle wheel cylinders I got for my truck (um, 4 years ago...) are ... THE WRONG ONES!!!

The ones I have (that were SUPPOSED to have fit a 2-speed axle out of a '51 6400) are marked as Wagner WC28661 -- anybody tell me what these are?

Thanks,
John


~ One of many.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
That's weird. The Wagner # you gave is the same ones used on the GMC I had (Eaton 1350 axle). I just honed them and got cylinder kits from napa.
Man, those hubs are heavy.......... grin


*** GMC ***
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
what is the diamater of the cylinder? I noticed that my parts book had two sizes available for that year...

I've got a 52 two speed and have been looking for those wheel cylinders as well...

-Mike R.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
here's what I gleened from my master parts catalog..

for model year 51'

rear wheel cylinders
Utility 1st type, 51-52
rear-front 1.5in diamater with 4 tapped holes
rear-rear 1.5 in diamater with 5 tapped holes

All-one-ton comercial (what my 2 speed has) 46-52
a single 1 3/8 in diamater wheel cylinder for each wheel. casting number 5450072
I couldn't find this part in the Wagner catalog my parts guy has, but I found the 3/4 ton listed had the same casting number but a different part number (not sure why)
there is also a 1.5 inch diamater listed for all utility 36-50 casting number 5300892

so if you can get the diamater of the wheel cylinder and the number of screw holes to mount it, maybe we can figure out what it is supposed to go too, or maybe it's just plain wrong for any stovebolt application. smile either way...

hope this helps...

I'm gonna go pick up what might be the right ones tommorrow (hopefully) and if they are, I'll get teh part number for you too.

-Mike R.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
Oh, parts kits are available from CarQuest as well as NAPA.
Wheel cyls. can be sleeved.......... brakecylinder.com


*** GMC ***
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
Thanks Mike! The mounting holes were close but still not in the right spots to fit the backing plate. The biggest difference I could tell was that they didn't have the holes on the inside so you could connect the two cylinders together with the short line that runs behind the brake shoe mechanism.

Thanks for the other advice, too. But I've never had any luck with trying to do the brake cylinder kit thing. I wasted a lot on money when I did my '39's brakes so I learned a lesson and now when I redo brakes I chuck everything and buy new. As Barry Weeks says, there are two kinds of guys -- Mechanics and Parts Changers. I'm a Parts Changer.

Regards,
John


~ One of many.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
sounds like you might have the 1-ton comercial type that was the one cylinder, instead of the 2 cylinder utility type.

what are the casting numbers on those cylinders? I might want to talk to you PM about them if they would work for my project... since they are not the right ones for yours...

-Mike R.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0