Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,714 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 | My '57 panel has an OEM brake light switch on it, which is actually mounted down closer to the master cylinder at the driver's side floor.
I have a new, aftermarket, universal wire harness. Since I am not majorly concerned about originality, should I just get a newer style switch that would mount up over the brake pedal, since it would be compatible with the new harness? Or, other thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 | The OEM brake switch simply controlled the brake lights.
Newer style switches add functionality. As well as controlling the brake lights, they may disengage the torque converter clutch, cruise control, etc. Do you need anything more than brake lights?
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 | The OEM brake switch simply controlled the brake lights.
Newer style switches add functionality. As well as controlling the brake lights, they may disengage the torque converter clutch, cruise control, etc. Do you need anything more than brake lights? Thanks for your response- nope, it would be for brakes only. I recall switches from the 80's/90s just being for the brake only, and having 2 tabs to connect to the harness with. I have not yet reviewed the one for this truck in-depth, but I just wanted to make sure that it would work with my newer harness from Speedway Motors without having to make alot of mods. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Either type brake switches will work fine. You may have to change connectors & length of the wires. George They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,445 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,445 | You might need to source a bracket to hold the brake switch. Also, a place for the switch to be actuated. I'd hit up the wrecking yards, maybe find a pedal assembly that will fit your truck.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 431 | Either type brake switches will work fine. You may have to change connectors & length of the wires. George Thanks for the feedback- I just pulled out the instructions and it looks like it's just 2 wires, one for input, and one for output. I will look now to see if I can locate an OEM connector for the '57 truck switch. Thanks! | | |
| |