The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
I have a 1941 Chevrolet Pickup and I am installing at 1955 Chevrolet 235 six in place of the original 216. If anyone has done this conversion, what did you do when you hooked up the throttle linkage? The location of the pivot point for the bell crank that connects the carburetor linkage to the accelerator linkage is approximately 12 1/2" from the back of the engine on the 216 versus 9 1/2" from the back of the engine on the 235. The original accelerator to bell crank linkage rod is 3 inches too long. I was wondering if there are any aftermarket solutions, or did anyone fabricate a new rod, or modify the existing rod? If you have photos of how you modified your old rod to fit, it would really help with this project. My thanks in advance.


1941 Chevrolet AK 1/2 retrofitted with a 235 engine
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
A 1955 235 would also have 2 drilled positions. Use the 216 position with same linkage.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/79398/Searchpage/1/Main/12004/Words/"throttle+pivot+positions"/Search/true/re-216-235-swap-accelerator-to-carb-linkage-assy-in-a-41.html#Post79398

Last edited by buoymaker; 05/14/2021 10:15 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
Would you know if that second position for the throttle pivot has a plug that goes into a water jacket on the 235? If so, then I know where that is. I will look at it again.


1941 Chevrolet AK 1/2 retrofitted with a 235 engine
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
And thank you Buoymaker for responding to my question so quickly. If we have that pivot position that matches are linkage for the 216 you're lifesaver (or at least a major time saver, which is basically the same thing!)

Thank you.

Last edited by Charles Evans; 05/15/2021 12:05 AM. Reason: spacing

1941 Chevrolet AK 1/2 retrofitted with a 235 engine
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The different bellcrank position is to accommodate the difference in exhaust manifold shape. Later model manifolds are angled toward the rear which requires the bellcrank to be moved to the rear position. If you have the angled exhaust and the forward bellcrank position, you might have to do some creative linkage fabrication between the bellcrank and the carburetor.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 40
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 40
I swapped in a 1958 235 in place of a 216 in my 1952, ran into the same problem.

I measured the difference in bellcrank location between the 216 and 235 and just cut the rod shorter the corresponding amount. Bevel, weld, grind, paint, and fit it back into place.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689

Are you into the water jacket there? And do you use the earlier (vehicle) linkage or the later (engine) linkage for a 60-62 engine?


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
This adaptation does go into the water jacket(which the original 216 and 1941-59 235 pivot did) and is done so one can use the 216 linkage during a 235 swap.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
I did exactly as Pre ‘68 Dave linked. I used a ‘52 linkage on a ‘59 235 transplant. I moved the linkage to the forward position, used a little Permatex #2 on the bellcrank pivot pin and it worked with no modification to the linkage at all. My exhaust manifold is of the angled type.

Although the engine at this point was not in the truck, the picture shows the stock linkage clears the manifolds with no issues. After installation, the stock linkage to the pedal hooked right up.
Attachments
59613F3B-ABEC-49D4-8281-26A43FF979C3.jpeg (230.92 KB, 154 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 05/15/2021 9:41 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Exceptions make the rule. I have a 1961 261 (casting # 3769925, casting date A241). It has the 2 holes, both in raised surfaces on the block. My throttle pivot is on the rear position.

The forward hole is not flush with the block as would be in Dave's option.

Why would they do this? My 261 does not have a number stamped by the distributor. Does that say it was a replacement engine? Maybe they wanted to give the option of using this engine with earlier trucks with earlier linkages. Who knows.
Attachments
Throttle Pivot Points.jpg (53.38 KB, 127 downloads)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
The hole was not flush on my 235 either, but it did go into the water jacket. I moved the existing screw into the rear position (no sealant as it’s a blind hole) and inserted the pivot into the forward position with sealant.
Attachments
AD181028-6688-4738-BA52-6EE1C4249B5E.jpeg (122.93 KB, 124 downloads)


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
Thanks everyone who responded to this question. One of the issues I found was that the aftermarket pivot bolt that bolts to the engine is longer than the stock bolt, and it has threads for a nut rather than a groove in the pivot shaft for a hairpin clip like the original. If I can post a picture of it, I will compare it to a stock pivot pin. I have the stock pivot pin, but it was bent and after straightening out I didn't have enough confidence in it that it wouldn't sheer, and I didn't want to have to fish a broken stud out of the block.


1941 Chevrolet AK 1/2 retrofitted with a 235 engine
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
Post a want ad in the Truck Parts Wanted forum. I’ve always had luck finding what I need.

Here is a link on how to post pictures.

https://www.stovebolt.com/forum/manual/StoveboltImagePolicy.pdf

Last edited by Phak1; 05/27/2021 1:09 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
I see how to post photos now, thanks for the tip. I am including a photo comparing the original pivot bolt that mounts to a Chevy 6 cylinder to an aftermarket replacement. The replacement pivot is longer and has a thread on the end instead of smooth shaft with a groove for a hairpin style clip. The shank of the new part is also wider where it connects up to the engine, making the bellcrank stand out further from the block than original. The original pivot shown in this post was bent and I straightened it, but I am not confident that it won't shear at some point, and cause a problem extracting the stud. But an original part, undamaged, will work better for sure.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210518_121858.jpg (66.43 KB, 68 downloads)

Last edited by Charles Evans; 05/27/2021 4:07 PM.

1941 Chevrolet AK 1/2 retrofitted with a 235 engine
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Take your original and the replacement to a machine shop and they can turn the new one to look just like the old one in about 15-20 minutes.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0