The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, Gdads51, KEVINSKI, TooMany2count, 68ironhead), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,251
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
Good Saturday, all y'all.
How do you well knowledged sages deaden the expansive steel drum membranes attached to both sides of our AD trucks?
I close the doors, hear the BOING ! !, and know it is going to be deafening going down the road when they start to vibrate.
Not much access for either DynaMat or spray.
Have a great day ! !

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
Old Trucks rattle--I love it. A 49 3 window and a 51 5 window.............

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Crowbar65 Be glad when they go in the hole and LATCH, I hate the noise too but it's AD world !!!

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
I have heard that 4” wide window and door roll flashing works well. Small, self stick so it should be fairly easy to apply. I don’t think you have to cover the whole door, just get in as much as you can. The density of the flashing will absorb the oil can sound.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
I stuck Dynamat (or similar sound damping material) to door and made a door panel (with seat matching fabric) to cover it.


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
I used a generic Dynamat on just the inside of the outer door skin. It was easy to do when all the window apparatus and latching mechanism were out. It has been quite effective.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Cut your choice of sound deadener in to small pieces. Apply to the inside of the outer door skin. Contrary to popular belief, every square inch of sheet metal does not need to be covered. 1/3 or more coverage will work fine. Spreading out the pieces will help, too.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Love the boing sound. My panel did that too, until the upholstery got done.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
I used to do acoustic dampening design on aircraft interiors.
Extraneous, mutable noise drives me crazy.
Just wondered if there were any AD tricks.
Might fab up a curved, or spring steel roller extension to aid in application of Dynamat.
Just enough to halt the timpanic action.
Still getting used to the different forum areas again....
Thanks

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
It has to be Dynamat?

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Originally Posted by MNSmith
It has to be Dynamat?
I used stick on tape from the roofing dept at my box store. It's 6 inches wide on a 25 ft roll.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
No, just used that as a generic term for adhesive deadening sheets.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0