From what I can decode, it’s a 1/2 ton, Oakland built with a 248 engine. I don’t know what the Z means. Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to verify that it’s a 116 wheelbase(Shortbed).
I’m also including the engine number the owner gave me over the phone, for your help identifying it as well. I’ll include a picture from the seller’s ad.
FYI, that’s not an engine # that is a head casting #. It is a desirable head.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Engine SN’s on GMC trucks, r side, stamped on machined surface behind distributor start with displacement i e 248xxxx. If it has 6 bolt wheels, half ton.
Ed
Last edited by EdPruss; 04/28/20213:34 PM.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
FYI, that’s not an engine # that is a head casting #. It is a desirable head.
"Engine # 3836848" If that is a head casting code, it is a Chevrolet 235 head It would not be on a 228/248/270/302 USA GMC block.
Winery Truck - if you have a Chevrolet engine, with that head casting code, you might want to fully ID that engine.
If that code pressed into the block behind the distributor, "10124 CZ 2856" is a GMC code, you might have a 235 Chevrolet engine that someone put a GMC code behind the distributor so they could get that truck registered in a state that used/uses the Engine Serial Number for title/registration.
All half ton trucks of that vintage had 116" wheelbase and the pickup beds were all the same length.
Leo, GMC had a 1/2 ton long bed all thru the early 1950's (I don't know exactly what year they started making them)...Chevrolet didn't get them until 1955 2nd as the 3200 Series.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Maybe this will help? A better and clearer picture of the distance from the cab to the rear fender may help. The cabs, except COE, can be used on other frames.
Last edited by buoymaker; 04/29/20211:18 AM.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Leo, GMC had a 1/2 ton long bed all thru the early 1950's (I don't know exactly what year they started making them)...Chevrolet didn't get them until 1955 2nd as the 3200 Series.
Mike B [/quote] Sorry about that, I had Chevy 3100s in mind. Thanks for the correction.
The engine/head numbers you are giving us are called "Casting Numbers", these are not the stamped engine code/serial numbers. There is a flat machined surface to the rear of the distributor that will have the engine code and serial number. You may need to scrap the paint off to see the numbers.
The CON 2 is the conveyor that the engine was cast on and the K64 is the date code with K = month, 6 = day and 4 being the year (1954 or 1964). Without the engine casting number found on the front passenger side of the block down near the oil pan we can't say for sure what the engine is. So far you only know what the head is...
Did you confirm the title serial number is the same as what's on the truck?
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Overall, even the the engine is not currently running, it seems to be in very good shape overall. Is it worth me lowering my offer due to the engine?
Thanks!
A non running engine definitely lowers the price whether it’s original to the truck or not. My non running engine cost me a year of tinkering after I got it running and ultimately a rebuild which included a complete re-machining. I did most of the work, but just the machining cost me $1,800.
My lesson from it all is there “non running” for a reason and that reason could be that there shot!
Last edited by Phak1; 04/29/20211:41 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Canadian gmc came with a 235 chev engine was a 9300 series on the hood .Yours I see says gmc 100 but either engine or hood badge could have been swapped?
If you are not a purest, the exact motor, Chevy or GMC is not a big deal. The fact that it does not run is a factor on price. Since I don't know the price range, here are you thought patterns:
1a. Legit VIN riveted to the truck HAS TO match a legit title. 1b. Body rust 2. Body rust 3. Frame rust 4. Bad rust fixes 5. Completeness and/or originality of parts. 6. Glass 7. The price Now to the motor: On one hand, to me, it's not a big deal. I just fix it for cheap or buy another running motor. On the other hand, it's difficult to check trans, clutch, brakes, steering, suspension, cooling, oil pressure, compression without driving. Bottom line is that a non runner should have a discount. SO...........if you want to: See if motor turns over by hand or rocking/pushing in gear, or starter. See if brakes go to floor or hold truck from rolling. See if clutch keeps truck from rolling and when released, truck rolls. If you check compression, the seller may use it against you.
We don't know your purpose or vision, your experience, the price, the condition. If the only problem is the motor, that would be semi normal. Some people rebuild and spend $1000's. I buy a motor that drops in and runs for $400 and sell the other or use it's accessories. Make the motor a big deal and feel out the seller. Get the history, the last time ran, the date on license tag and judge the character and words of seller. Be honest yourself. Anything can be fixed. Looks in good condition, check for bondo and broken body parts. Ask why it has tow bar brackets. Missing front valance. Strange rust hole in mustache. See how long he has owned it to see if he is a flipper.
The VIN is a legit GMC serial number 101-24 CZ 2856. It is a 10= 1/2T 100 series, 1=short bed, 24= 248 motor, C= Oakland, Z= 1954. 1855th off the line (started numbering after 1001)
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Thank you all for your replies, including purchase/inspection tips. Truck, inspite of not currently running, is an older restoration with original radio, redone upholstery, including cabin padding and back of seat upholstery. Glass, window cranks in good working condition. Found non penetrating rust under the truck, underneath the seats, in the thin square tubular supports. Looks very reparable. Inside cab painted a nice candy apple red. The exterior truck paint clear coat looks new, the red dye faded, giving it a cool patina look. At 13K now, but that offer was when we both assumed it had the original 248. Seller claims he drove it, and stated brakes and transmission worked. Given the very good restoration level, it would seem to be a good buy. I told seller I would be amending my offer based on the smaller engine. Is this a fair move? Before the engine discovery, the seller agreed to reduce price by 1K... how much of a discount if any should I ask for? ? Any further advice is greatly appreciated. Even though I was in charge of the entire fleet of vehicles at a large Southern California PD, this will be my first AD truck.
Thanks again brothersðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ›»
I’m attaching pictures I took of truck after inspecting it a couple of days ago. Yes, vin plate on door matches vin on title.
So, it has a Chevy engine, no big deal, just not original. Not running and not able to test a lot of stuff as mentioned above a big deal. Is he wanting $13,000,? I think 9 or 10 would be better because on non-running engine would be safer. Depends on what you want. Engine rebuild easily cost $2,000. Plus. But if you want a V-8 anyway, who cares. GMC 302 would drop right in there, more HP, still cost same to rebuild. Is it original 6V or converted to 12V? Bargaining point.
Rust repair is big $, mechanical repair not so big. Ed
Last edited by EdPruss; 04/30/20213:10 AM.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Thanks Ed for this advice! I told seller I would get back to him as I have a running 1950 GMC matching numbers to inspect next, it’s listed at 10,500. Needs brakes, but runs. From listing pictures, cab corners have rust repairs. I told the 54 gmc seller about this other truck to gain leverage. Things might get interesting!
The big question is what "does not run mean"?. What does it do or not do with a battery in it? Does it try to start? does it sputter? Backfire? No fire? With not battery and just a "does not run" is VERY suspicious. Maybe you have more info already?
Who would try to sell a truck without getting it to run unless it has SERIOUS problems. Paranoia says timing busted or way worse. Don't get carried away with a paint job. You know nothing about it's quality. You don't buy $13K patina. I have had good luck waiting a month and come back. It will not sell for that with no running motor. Nothing special about it. You are in California. Lots of low rust trucks.
It's hard for us to say. No one can give good advice without seeing it in person. I think looking at a few in various price ranges and condition is the right thing to do if you are new to these trucks. Truck all detailed but motor has a bad appearance? Is that a red flag? Was this a donor truck that gave it's 248, it's bumper and it's valance?.... I'm lower than EdPruss on this one. But he knows AD values. I don't. My comments are generic buying points. My area is 55.2-66.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
I think 9 or 10 would be better because on non-running engine would be safer.
I’m with Ed on this one. With a non running engine, you can’t check the tranny, rear end brakes etc. 10K would be generous!
Originally Posted by bartamos
Who would try to sell a truck without getting it to run unless it has SERIOUS problems
Throws up a red flag for me too.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
If it has been sitting for a while, especially with today’s fuel, valve might be stuck, if try to turn it over will bend pushrods. Make sure seller knows this if he try’s to start it. Solution is to remove valve cover and oil valve stems, push down on each valve stem gently(rubber hammer or 2x4) to verify, if stuck and cannot release, pull head.
I see you live in Orange, my grandparents used to live at 317 Schafer St.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
You guys are the best! Great advice on what to look for! We have a lot of flippers in California, and they typically know very little about what they’re selling.
I like your idea of waiting if I can’t get him Lowe than 13K.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)