| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,633 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 203 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 203 | I have been testing various carbs and air filters on my 235 this spring. One thing I have learned the hard way is these 235s require more air than the tiny universal chrome cleaner/filters that you can buy for 1 bbl carbs. There is a calculator here... https://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/11/27/match-air-filter-size-engine/Basically if you run a 6-1/2" air cleaner you would need a 2.5" high filter. *BUT* K&N company testing has revealed that you want to maintain a 1/4 to 1/5 ratio of diameter to height for best results. So a 9"x2" or 10"x2" would be best. Prior to running these calculations..... Due to hood height issues on my 56 210 sedan I tried a 6-1/2 x 1-1/2 filter. The engine was not happy and stumbled at high RPM. I took the lid off the air cleaner and it straightened out immediately.
1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | It's not the size, it's the cfm rating you want to look at. https://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/FilterBySize.aspx Look up the size you want, them look at the cfm rating of the filter. Most all those little filters you see are for lawn mowers. K&N is not where I would be looking. Back when I was drag racing, a friend of ours bought a big K&N for his pickup he was towing his car with. While at the track, he pulled it off his truck and put it on his race car, both 454 Chevys. The race car slowed down about 1/2 second and 4 mph. He reinstalled his Wix filter, made a second run and picked up the HP he lost with the K&N. The K&N went in the trash right then and there! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | Reasons #1-10 for disappointing K&N performance 1. too much oil . . . .10. too much oil | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | If too much oil, how do you put just enough oil? or is there "just enough".
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
| |
| |