The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (PAUL Berardi, Gray_Ghost, JW51, moparguy), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,244
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
So the $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder I bought at least 5 years ago let the smoke out today. I had to break out my spare $20 HF angle grinder to finish the job.

Not bad service for a cheapskate like myself. wink

Here's a video of the carnage.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
thumbs_up

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Before the guys went to nearly all battery tools we bought the dickins out of HF air tools. With paint prices out of sight one can't oil air tools so we used them dry. Life was short. Now the walls and benches are cluttered with battery chargers but very few fish eyes in paint.


Evan
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
When I was teaching auto body classes at an inner-city Nashville high school, we had terrible problems with fisheyes in several paint jobs. I finally tracked down the source of the problem. At least a third of my students were using large quantities of Vaseline Intensive Care lotion on a daily basis. They called it "ash killer"! Sanding body filler and then rubbing their hands over the freshly-sanded surface feeling for ripples was putting the lotion deep under the primer and the finish paint.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 122
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 122
Kevin - I keep two spare HF Angle Grinders in my tool cabinet, buying them when they are on sale. A lot cheaper than the other big box store brands!! You're not a cheapskate, you're just being frugal!! More money to spend on truck parts.


Charlie

'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Frugal! Yeah, that's the ticket. grin


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
LOL I bought a Grinder at least 25 years ago from a Truck Load Tool Sale (we didn't have HF back then). It was 5 dollars and came with 5 grinding wheels. Somewhere along the way someone gave me another one. Well the bearing in one went out and I bought a $3 bearing at the hardware store that fit perfectly. the next issue I had was the switch went bad. Tore it open and it was a double pole Switch well I made it a Single pole cause one side still worked! I have spent more money on Cut off wheels, Wire Wheels and Diamond Wheels then I have on Grinders. I bought it as a use it and Throw it away when done...... guess I ain't done with it yet! LOL


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
It's ALIVE AGAIN!!! nanner
I (of course) opened it up and discovered that the rear bearing (near the brushes) had seized up and spun in the housing. So I went down to the local bearing supply and bought a replacement bearing. Used a little epoxy to reinforce the housing around the bearing and set it aside to cure. Today I plugged it in and nothing, so tore into it again and discovered that one of the brushes was hanging up. Fixed that and it roared back to life. So I still have a spare. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0