Hello Stovebolters. Im doing a gear swap on my 12 bolt truck rear-end. The rear came with stock 4.11 gears and im installing 3.73 gears. I've set the pinion depth with a flat piece of metal stock and dial calipers to what it is calling for witch is 2.824". Im having trouble reading the gear pattern can anyone help translate what I have here. Thank you.
It looks pretty good. Be sure when checking the pattern, that you hold the ring gear really tight while turning the pinion. You need to " load " the gears to get a good pattern. Double check in reverse also. I like to see the main contact point about 1/3 of the way up from the inside, under really hard load, the contact will be about centered on the teeth.
Thanks guys. I didn’t put load on the ring gear when I took this pattern. I’ll try a again with a load on the ring gear this time. Hopefully it doesn’t change much.