The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1399195 02/27/2021 11:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
OK guy's I have another question. Where is the 4.10 stamp on the carrier that says It is actually 4.10 gears??
Someone posted it, But I can't remember where I saw it.

Any help would be great

Elmo

Elmo #1399204 02/28/2021 12:41 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Its Usually not that easy. But easy in a different form. Usually da teeth count is stamped on da ring gear. Devide one into da other and thats da answer. Or count da ring and pinion teeth yourself. Easy peasy. cool

Elmo #1399206 02/28/2021 12:45 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
Ok got it, Thank you

Elmo #1399216 02/28/2021 1:10 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
But isn't it stamped on the housing or on the ring gear some where??

Elmo #1399227 02/28/2021 1:56 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
Somewhere on the circumference of the ring hear, the numbers 41-10 should be stamped- - - -41 tooth ring gear, 10 tooth pinion, which divides out to a 4.10:1 gear ratio. Other brands of gears (not GM) can have a 9-37 tooth count, for a 4.111111 ratio.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Elmo #1399231 02/28/2021 2:20 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Somewhere stamped on the Carrier you will find the Identification Code. Example, a 1967 C20 with 4.11 ratio would be stamped "HW". Note these codes were not always the same year after year, so get the code and report back so we can help figure out what you have.

The 4.11 ratio would have a tooth count of 37-9 (stamped on the ring gear)...37 divided by 9 = 4.11.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Elmo #1399387 02/28/2021 11:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
I got one!!!! Finally! I found in Wausau Wisconsin. I had to go for a 2-1/2 hour drive yesterday. I am so stoked. And it only cost me 125.00 bucks. I could have gotten one in Iowa. But that would have been a 5 hours away.

ELMO!!!

Elmo #1399400 03/01/2021 12:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
2.5hr cruise is well worth it. Best part is its a pretty easy upgrade.

Elmo #1404134 04/01/2021 12:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
I finally got the chance to switch out my 3rd member in my 53 3600 3/4 ton truck last week end.I got my 4.11 gears now!!!! Woot Woot. I took the truck for a spin last night. No more screaming down the road at 50 miles an hour. It was a great day. I am so stoked!!!

Elmo!!

Last edited by Elmo; 03/07/2025 9:03 PM.
Elmo #1404290 04/01/2021 8:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
Its a odd test drive. You know it’s different but its not a huge difference on paper or even seat of the pants but its just enough of a difference where it really does tame the rpm down. Im running a LS so mine can rev cross country at 5k if i wanted to without worry but i can see how on a old straight 6 it probably makes a much more noticeable difference.

Elmo #1404326 04/02/2021 12:28 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Barnfind -- in my case, before I reengined to the 261 ... the 4.10 upgrade with the 216 was incredible. But ... the poor 216 ran out of oompah. It could hold 65 until the slightest hill or bump came along. Or a slight head wind ... But on the flat, the 216-powered 3804 could hit 70 and cruise (mostly) at or above 60. It just had no power. the 261 fixed all that wink


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Elmo #1404336 04/02/2021 1:31 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by Elmo
I got one!!!! Finally! I found in Wausau Wisconsin. I had to go for a 2-1/2 hour drive yesterday. I am so stoked. And it only cost me 125.00 bucks. I could have gotten one in Iowa. But that would have been a 5 hours away.

ELMO!!!

Elmo , what was the original rear end ratio .

John


good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
Elmo #1404346 04/02/2021 2:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 299
Panel Fan, It is a stock 53 chevy 3600 3/4 ton. I believe the stock gears were 4.56! Something like that.


And I don't have a 216
I have a 235, I'm gonna take the truck out tomorrow after work and see how well it drives on the highway.
Woot Woot!!!!

Last edited by Elmo; 04/02/2021 11:35 AM.
Elmo #1408781 05/05/2021 11:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
How did it do? I just discovered that I had a 4.11 3rd member in my possession all along. It was sitting under my parts truck tucked away inside the axle housing. If the bearings and everything check out, mine will be going from 4.57 to 4.11 in a week or two.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Elmo #1408849 05/06/2021 2:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Lol. Its almost like the Gods of good stuff were smiling down on ya. I like finding stuff i forgot i have. I just wish i could find it when i needed it. Ha

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by glenns towing
Lol. Its almost like the Gods of good stuff were smiling down on ya. I like finding stuff i forgot i have. I just wish i could find it when i needed it. Ha

For sure! It was definitely a game-changing find. Now I am sourcing 14 bolt brake items so I can swap on 14 bolt brakes to the HO52 axle. HA! Find it when you need it, that is just not in the cards, it is always MIA when you need it, and then magically appears once you buy a new one or don't need it anymore...lol...


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0