The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mr Crosswrench, RLB, klhansen, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
My '46 2 ton sat in a field for many many moons (25+ years) and has been the home to just about every mouse within a 10 mile radius, it would appear.

The seat is just trashed. I considered stripping them bare, then getting them re-done.. but that is probably gunna cost a ton o' cash that I would rather spend elsewhere in the trucks restoration.

So I was thinking maybe I could score an inexpensive bench seat out of a vehile at the local bone yard.. i'd like to get something that would fit with minimal modification/rigging and at least LOOKS like something you'd expect to see in a truck of this vintage. (i.e. no blue cloth seats with MOPAR embroidered on 'em)

I've read in a few areas that folks have used s10 seats in 50's trucks.. I dunno if the 50's seats were the same general size as the '41-'46 trucks.

So anybody here have any ideas as to what sort of donor vehicle I should keep my eye out for?

I'm not opposed to re-doing the original seats, so if anybody has some "low budget" home brew methods of re-doing the original seat, i'm all ears.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Fumblin,

I'm using a 92 S-10 bench seat. The seat has to be placed just right, but works great. It is a little on the high side with gas tank still in so if you are vertically gifted..you might not like it. I've also read on here that the third seat out of suburbans or Excursions work.

Also..you can get a seat kit for about $150 and do it yourself. Have the springs sandblasted, paint em up and recover your seat. My old seat is up in the rafters and will probably be re-done and the S-10 seat taken out.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I'm 6'2 and found the original seat (aside from being light on covering and padding) to be just perfect.

$150 seems like a reasonable price for getting a kit for re-doing the original seat.. where can you get it?

American Classic Truck Parts dosent seem to carry anything for a '46.. in fact, most online vendors seem to start at '47 are the seats the same?

I had called around for estimates at local upolstry shops, and seemed like all the folks I called wanted $300+ to redo them.. thats a little rich for my blood for a seat.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
Jim Carter's carries the seat kit for a 46 and I plan on buying one and fixing up my seat. $130 for the upholstery and another $20 for the hog rings and padding kit. They come in three different colors so pick your seat. grin grin
Jamo


Growing old is manditory-Growing up is optionial.
Jamo
http://community.webshots.com/user/erics46

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0