The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Paul Mullen), 99 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139670 09/22/2006 7:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
New guy to the big bolt page, me "CAJUN CRAW FISH". Purchased a 1946 chevy coe with dead engine and what seems to be a good trans with pto and all goodies from there to the back of the truck. Im sure I can find another six in the 50's era but can I swap bellhousing and use a v8, or am I better off getting what ever v8 I want and use a (HM-117):used late 80's for bus and straight trucks. I dont know if pto's are an option for this trans (HM-117). My assumption is that I will not be able to use the stock bellhousing from the six if I use a v8 with origitnal trans. grin


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Welcome to the stovebolt page. build your truck the way it makes you happy. some of the others can better answer your technical questions. Personally I like the stovebolt sixes

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Welcome Cajun Craw Fish,

We share a love, that being the 41-47 Chev COEs. I agree about putting the motor that makes you happy in. I would decide what and how you are going to use it first. If it is restoration, then maybe replace the 6. If you will use it and want to have a little more power then go with the 8. I personally am going to do one of each. One complete restoration, and one for more regular use that I will modify mechanically. I also don't have the technicals for you but enjoy and post us some pics of your truck!


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
#139673 09/25/2006 11:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
How is your fuel economy with the old six? Im sure there are some guys that have found some good tricks.


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
#139674 09/25/2006 11:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
Saw an ad in the paper for a '51 4100 wrecker (said it had a hoist) for $650, "running when I parked it" ( we've heard that one before!). Just wondering what tonnage the 4100 is. Thanx


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
#139675 09/26/2006 12:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
Oops! Sorry about that. Forgot to go back to the first before I started typing. Had a senior moment!


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Since nobody with any sense answered, I will guess in the neighborhood of 12-14 on the bigger trucks without a load. The best trick you can do is overdrive!...which is not original of course, but I think higher speeds and hi revin is the biggest killer of milage concerning big bolts.

Where are those pictures?...must see other art deco coes!


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
Tomcoe thanks again for your input and give me two more days and I will have pics and total plans showing what will happen to this wonderful truck. Oh yeah I had a talk with some of the guys I work with that may have a few fuel saving tricks
and if looks reasonable I will post it. These guys have all the cool diag and monitoring equipment at home.


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
#139678 09/28/2006 10:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
pablos49 4100 would be 1 and a half ton.

#139679 09/28/2006 11:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
kb3csw, nice pics ya got at the community webshots. Thanks for the info on pablos49 4100


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0