The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, JW51, Joe H), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,339
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
I am involved in an "on again, off again relationship" with my truck. It's actually just a time thing. A 1948 Dump bed I found on the side of the road. I've been reading the wealth of knowledge that exist hear and am hoping to tap into it. This is my test post to see if I can get this step working.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Welcome to the Strovebolt! wave

Now that you figured out how to post a text message you need to post a picture of your truck! pix Instructions for posting pictures are at the bottom of the left margin on every page...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Here it is.
Attachments
48 OTR.jpg (31.52 KB, 368 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Welcome to the Bolt!
Nice looking truck you have there! Tell us more!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Very nice. I'd like to see more pictures of that one, when you have a chance.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Had a 216 in it. Dump worked. I have since pulled it all apart and am in the midst of cleaning it up restoration style. A buddy gave me a 235 out of a 56 pick up. Cab is done, engine overhauled and frame cleaned up. Last thing is running gear.
Attachments
083A2040-D30C-4323-A71D-826E6D6D4037.jpeg (346.14 KB, 312 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
More pics
Attachments
76293E2D-86C4-4615-96A9-9A1E4077B723.jpeg (139.64 KB, 321 downloads)
D3237E8F-5DD0-4292-9419-3C8087E84817.jpeg (180.28 KB, 329 downloads)
E61ED0B2-72F5-4C41-A9F3-6D66C754930E.jpeg (247.91 KB, 327 downloads)
DA6656FD-8F1C-44E9-89E7-C83D10FCB78A.jpeg (209.23 KB, 324 downloads)
6367C0B0-0541-4BEE-805D-078168FD2F83.jpeg (266.97 KB, 311 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
I swear I'm trying to find this stuff before I come whining for help. When I took the right side rear end apart, the thrust washer was missing all together. The part number in the master catalog is 3685197 I think. But here is the picture of it in the shop manual. Is this something that might have another part number?
Attachments
2021-02-21_LI.jpg (134.37 KB, 239 downloads)

Last edited by skydog; 02/22/2021 2:29 AM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Do you have the one from the other side to use as a pattern? That's not a high tech part- - - -you can make one from a big flat washer by spending a little time with files and a grinding wheel. Getting the anti-rotate tab on the inside shaped correctly is the biggest challenge.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
That will be my default if I cant find one. Thank you Sir.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Place a Want Ad here on the Bolt with dimensions...I bet someone has one in their junk box.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Hey Skydog,

Was in my shop the other day and ran across a spare thrust washer from my 1941 bigbolt restoration. Shoot me some ID/OD/thickness measurements of the washer you need and who knows, perhaps I have a match.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
This is quite a coincidence. I was just at a truck shop looking for one. Here it is. It is 1/8 thick and 1/2 wide.

Thanks!!

PS. Those measurements are "ish". the part number is 3685197 or 03685197. I get more hits with 0 in front.
Attachments
Thrust washer.png (241.72 KB, 124 downloads)

Last edited by skydog; 03/04/2021 2:31 AM.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Measured the trust washer I have with my cheapo calipers and it is a match. PM me your address and I will get it headed west.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
And *that* my friends is what we're all about.

smile


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Glad things worked out- - - -I was about to offer to crank up the lathe and make one for you!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Thanks a lot everyone!

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Sent the brakes out to get relined with all the hardware attached. It took 7 weeks and they lost some parts. "That's the way we got them." is the answer I'm getting. So..... I am looking for the pins and clips that connect the shoes. Anyone have a source?

Thanks.
Attachments
Pin and Clip.jpg (49.65 KB, 67 downloads)
rear brake.jpg (48.33 KB, 68 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Bummer, that’s why a ‘before’ picture is a valuable thing.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Amen to that. I have pics before and after. I took the brakes to one place and they sent them out to another. They are kind of pointing the finger at each other. I deal with it in the marine industry all the time. Shop “A” is trying to make up for it by finding replacements. I’m just trying to be proactive and see if I can find them. I am more motivated.

Last edited by skydog; 03/08/2021 11:02 PM.
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
I ordered a tie rod end and got a one that is to big for tie rod. Did some more reading, Found out there is a HD version for the 1 1/2 T. I have the tube type tie rod with 13/16 size thread. The box in the picture shows AC Delco P# 45A0006. Got it from Rock Auto. They also have a 45A0001(Left) with .812 x 18 threads and I assume they may have a 45A0002 (right). This tie rod is bent and will have to be delt with one way or another. Any substantial reason to go beefier?
Attachments
Tie rod end 1.jpg (10.93 KB, 66 downloads)
Tie rod end 2.jpg (9.02 KB, 66 downloads)
Tie rod end 4.jpg (8.71 KB, 66 downloads)
Tie rod end 3.jpg (9.37 KB, 67 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
If you ever convert to powers steering a lot of guys like beefier. It also will be less prone to bending. Only reason it wasn’t beefier on stock was purely cost.

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
If you ever convert to powers steering a lot of guys like beefier. It also will be less prone to bending. Only reason it wasn’t beefier on stock was purely cost.

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 33
Wheel Bearing Nut torque is my question of the day.

I went to the shop and was going to torque the nut on the wheel bearing. I had 35 lbs in my head (left the book at home, home is 10 miles away), and when I got to that value the wheel seemed a little stiff. So I stopped and and went back home to have lunch and consult the manual. So I had it wrong, it's 33 lbs. When I go back I'll try that. And as I am usually a "buy the book" kinda of guy when it comes to that stuff, I did see a guy working on a 1/2 ton that would just tighten the nut till the wheel would not spin and then back the nut off a 1/4 turn or so.

My question is, is there a pro tip beyond the book for torqueing the Front wheel bearing nut out there?

Thanks.
Attachments
Front wheel bearing pic.jpg (189.67 KB, 36 downloads)
Front wheel bearing.jpg (253.2 KB, 38 downloads)


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0