The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
Hello all. I need to clear up a discussion I'm having with my dad about pilot bearings. I understand that the pilot bearing in the rear end of the crankshaft is different for manual vs. automatic transmissions. Here's my question: if you have a motor that is mated to an automatic, to swap over to a manual transmission do you have to change the crankshaft to get the correct size pilot bearing installed, or can you just change the bearing? I've watched videos that show how to change a pilot bearing without removing the crank, but they're always dealing with automatic transmissions only.

Brian


Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,313
I always thought engines that are mated to a auto trans don’t have a pilot bushing therefore if you put a Manuel trans in you have to makesure there is a bushing in the end of the crank.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
Brian, the following is based on my admitted limited experience and does not necessarily apply to today's engines, only what's now commonly referred to as the classics. Many crankshafts were drilled for a pilot shaft/bearing/bushing regardless of automatic or manual transmission.

I do know some manufactures (Mopar big blocks) have a hub hole in the crank for the torque converter that can be used with a special bearing and shortened pilot shaft without any additional drilling. Again with Mopar's, if they came with a manual transmission then drilled for a pilotshaft. If originally a automatic car, might be drilled for a pilotshaft, or not. However it's possible to drill the crank while it's in the car if required to accommodate a standard transmission input shaft. Not hard to do with a good appropriately sized bit and drill. Fancy folks use a jig to insure perfection.

Good Luck,

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; 12/24/2020 12:03 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Most cranks come drilled for a pilot bushing or bearing. Drilling a crank in the block is not acceptable, crank would need to be set up, not a normal procedure. Automatics do not come with pilot bushings, torque converter registers in flywheel since they always turn.

Pilot bushings, bronze or brass are easily made or bought. Pilot bearings are easily bought, however, when they fail, they frequently damage the input shaft which may or may not be replaceable, especially on an older vehicle.

If one is changing from automatic trans. to manual, one must always check to make crank is drilled, might be necessary to get another crank if not drilled.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate the input (no pun intended)! I'm venturing into uncharted territories with my project, but really enjoying learning new stuff.

It had not ocurred to me that the crankshaft (in an older motor, like a 235) would be drilled for a pilot bushing regardless of which transmission it was mated to.

In my case, I have a later model 250 (non running) mated to a Turbo 350 in my '51 Chevy project. I acquired a 4-speed SM 420 a while ago to replace the auto. I haven't pulled the motor and trans out of the truck yet so I haven't seen the rear end of the crank. My dad commented that I may have to replace the crankshaft. I was planning to rebuild the 250 but just discovered it has freeze damage so now I'm looking at a replacement. I wanted to be sure, when I go look at another motor, that I wasn't getting one that needed a new crankshaft. Long story short, as long as the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing I'm ok.

Many thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Brian


Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I have machined a crankshaft for an AMC V8 while it was installed in the engine, but we stood the engine up on the harmonic balancer, leveled it in all directions, and used a precision boring head in a radial drill press to machine an accurate hole. That one was set up for a different torque converter since the year of the engine didn't match the vehicle it was being mated with. AMC had swapped from a Borg-Warner transmission to a Torqueflite, and the TF had a different converter snout dimension.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
The 250/292 crank is very likely drilled for the bushing/bearing even though it may have an automatic trans hooked to it. When machining the crankshafts, they operators didn't know what transmission it was going to be hooked to. Only the special HP engines used special crankshafts, the other 99.9% of engines used standard pieces.

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
The one thing I will add here is that with GM motors, for a little while GM used two different crankshafts. One for auto and one for stick. A pilot bearing can be installed in either crank but the back of the crank was machined at two different sizes. I have come across this more often with early small block chevys, never with a 235. Not sure if the 230-292 motors ever had that difference but its no problem though as pilot bushings are made for both size holes. Order the standard bushing. It should require a good bit of press to install it. If it just slides or pushes in, you need the larger bearing.

In terms of material for the pilot bushing, the cheap auto part bushings are frequently steel or some other ferrous material. Run away. Other inexpensive versions are bronze but just plain old bronze. Hold out for a real Oilite bushing. I am pretty sure I have this right, the Oilite material was developed back in the 30s and remains the gold standard for pilot bushing material for our old motors. It is an oil impregnated sintered bronze. It oozes oil and lubricates the input shaft tip. Do not grease the inside of this bearing. Do not grease the tip of the input shaft. You seal up the pores and it wont ooze oil as it should. I make it a point to obtain the real McCoy and over 40 years later, no pilot bushing failures, and I am not easy on my motors or transmissions.

Other then that, I think you are good to go!


Mike
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
Thanks again for the added information. Mike, I read up on the different pilot bushings/bearings this morning and learned about the Oilite bronze bushings as you mentioned. I can see how that would be the right choice.

Earlier today I met up with a guy selling a motor on Offer Up near me. He had it listed as a 265, though I suspected he meant it was either a 261 or 235. As it turned out, according to the block number it is a '50-'52 235, a rather appropriate choice for my '51 truck. The best part is, upon a close inspection (removed the valve cover and looked in the fuel pump hole) the motor appears to have been remanufactured in the past and then mothballed. All of the openings (spark plug holes, etc.) have purpose-made plugs. The valve springs look new; everything is super clean. Other than a light film, there is no oil on anything. It appears I got a zero mileage motor for $100. It even has a new clutch pack on the flywheel. The pilot bearing appears to be a later style roller bearing, not a basic scintered bronze bushing. I plan to get the motor onto a stand Saturday so I can inspect it thoroughly.


Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Post a photo of that bearing if you can. If it is a true roller pilot bearing in the crank, you will want to remove it and replace it with a regular bushing. Those roller pilot bearings are hardened and can really damage and/or wear out the tip of the input shaft. Really designed for road racing.


Mike
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Dragsix
Post a photo of that bearing if you can. If it is a true roller pilot bearing in the crank, you will want to remove it and replace it with a regular bushing. Those roller pilot bearings are hardened and can really damage and/or wear out the tip of the input shaft. Really designed for road racing.

Agreed. After doing some research, and hearing the advice on this forum, I plan to replace it with an Oilite scintered bronze bushing.


Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0