1947-53 AD, years back, I think it was DADS50 posted a picture of an AD grille that had been painted, rather than chromed. Any pictures or thoughts on this ? I know that House of Kolor. has chrome paint, and was wondering , or using a bright silver with a gloss finish, Your helpful comments and thoughts guys, Thanks Mike !
I think the Chevrolet Advance-Design truck grills were painted (standard) or chromed 1947-1950.
I think all the Chevrolet Advance Design truck grills were painted from 1951-1953. (Korean War/Conflict - chrome/chromium "went to war"?)
I think the 1954/55 Chevrolet Advance-Design grilles were painted (standard) in 1954/55st; and, chromed grilles were optional in those years. There were different color combinations on the 1954 vs 1955 Advance-Design truck grills.
I think all the Chevrolet Advance Design truck grills were painted from 1951-1953. (Korean War/Conflict - chrome/chromium "went to war"?)[/url]
Outer grill bars on painted grilles were body color with white or ivory inner bars. I'm pretty sure 1952-1953's had painted bumpers and hubcaps, but not necessarily grilles. I can't confirm any '51's had chrome plated grilles, but my '51 definitely had a painted grille (Omaha Orange outer bars/Waldorf White inner bars).
I've seen a grille that had chrome powder coating on it. Looked pretty similar to chrome plating.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I think all the Chevrolet Advance Design truck grills were painted from 1951-1953. (Korean War/Conflict - chrome/chromium "went to war"?)
Originally Posted by klhansen
Outer grill bars on painted grilles were body color with white or ivory inner bars. I'm pretty sure 1952-1953's had painted bumpers and hubcaps, but not necessarily grilles. I can't confirm any '51's had chrome plated grilles, but my '51 definitely had a painted grille (Omaha Orange outer bars/Waldorf White inner bars).
Thats what I saw years back, would like to keep my options open. House of Kolor has some nice colors, but you'd have to buy a quart for about $100 or so... Please post more pics y'all if you come across any, Thanks, Mike
Those pages that Tim posted I don't believe told the whole story for the non-Korean War years. If you notice, the 1950 page references an RPO for Chrome grille, but that same page is missing on all the other years, just having the figure of the front end of a big bolt (standard production, non-RPO).
Last edited by klhansen; 11/13/20201:27 AM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thats what I saw years back, would like to keep my options open. House of Kolor has some nice colors, but you'd have to buy a quart for about $100 or so... Please post more pics y'all if you come across any, Thanks, Mike
Yeah, don't think I would spend 100 bucks for a test, unless I could see some samples
So my brief attempt at using a "chrome" paint product was part of a bike paint job using the chrome paint "Mirra Chrome" as an effect in the paint. In a nut shell, to me it falls short of the "chrome" look, and dulled even more when cleared. Just a step above silver paint.. My suggestion is if you'd like the chrome look then chrome plate them. If you'll like the factory ivory color or even a silver metallic, then paint as such. If you have to pay someone to apply a "chrome paint", I would say the result will likely fall short of true chrome, and I'd spend the extra for true chrome plating.
thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if anyone had done it and what results where achieved. The cost of House of Color is too pricey for me, I may experiment with PPG silver paint, as I have done all of the restoration painting myself, either Urethane or Base coat/clear coat. Trying to do a budget build, as most guys will understand, especially this close to retirement .. Thanks to all for your responses Mike
I would say get some of the spray cans and put it on some scrap metal. If it looks like what you want go for it.
I am working on a driver, not show quality and tried the Rustolium and Krylon options on some test metal. I found that in my case cleaned up old chrome with minor pitting and slight rust looked better. There may have been a dull finish on the old chrome but to me somehow it looked right on the car.
1941 Chevrolet Master Deluxe with original 216 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
I was thinking the same. I did some carbon fiber vinyl on some trim pieces on a (unnamed vehicle) that I flipped and it came out really good. Fairly easy with a heat gun to help form the corners.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum