The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13842 05/31/2003 4:12 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 93
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 93
From bitter personal exerience, I would recommend that any one considering changing the torque tube bushings on a 47 1/2T re-think the project. Just leave the old ones in there 'cause the new ones will be too tight and won't line up with the drive shaft. Five hundred bucks worth of machine shop work and the torque tube is just a boat anchor.
Can a '55 or later drive train be used to eliminate the torque tube and differential? Does any one want to buy a '47 with nothing connecting the transmission to the wheels?

#13843 05/31/2003 5:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
47 Chev,

Welcome aboard the Stovebolt page.

Got any more details about what's gone amuck on your driveshaft fix?

Plenty of folks with ideas, knowledge and even sympathy here at TSBP. (ask Chiphead!)


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
#13844 05/31/2003 6:51 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Welcome to the 'bolt 47Chev , ,I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with your repairs .
I have done some of these , and all the okie bushings have come from Jim Carters ,, is this where you got yours from ?
One I did , the bushing was 0.008" to large in dia to go in the torque tube and I had to machine it down to the correct size ,,
But I have just done one on a '37 that was perfect in every respect .
I think that perhaps the quality control could be improved there .
On the other part of your post ,, the installation of a later diff is not too difficult , mostly making the decision of what to choose can be confusing .
I have a '55 truck diff in my '40 pickup, it is an easy fit and has several benifits for me .
If you really want to go this route I will expand further on your request .

Give us more information on your troubles and what you hope to achieve next .


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0