The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Danielbolt, Steelonsteel), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,492
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1381416 10/19/2020 4:52 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
Ok All, I have been searching for this for a good while. I can't find the purpose of the cross/key shaped hole in the floor under the seat. I have a 54 GMC 100 for reference. Any ideas on what that is for?

Last edited by KDrown; 10/19/2020 4:53 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Supposedly, that was an exit hole for water/condensation?
(I have no documentation)

Supposedly there was a rubber plug that did not completely cover that hole.
(I have no documentation)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
I know this has been discussed before. One of the pages in the FAM (Section 1, Sheet 3.0) has what looks like a key shaped hole, but it appears to be in a cover for the seat riser, not the actual floor.
My '51 3011 has a round hole in the bottom of the depression under the seat (in the floor proper), which is for drainage.
Can you post a photo of what you're talking about?


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
The drain makes sense. Just seems like an odd shape for it. Looks like something is supposed to go in it.
Attachments
IMG_7545[1].JPG (133.18 KB, 517 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Maybe it's supposed to have a plug in the round part to keep road spray out like Tim suggested. It would still let water out of the slots off to the sides. ohwell


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
I have a round hole in the center underneath my seat; and in my case that area is sloped inwards (like a drain). When I was prepping for the floor repairs I power washed the interior and I can state with certainty that it works effectively like a drain, although why you would need one under there I'm not sure. I put a rubber plug in mine (they had the right size at NAPA).

Picture shows where it is but doesn't do the slopes justice, IIRC it's about a 1/2" hole.
Attachments
drain hole in floor.jpg (194.57 KB, 485 downloads)


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
That hole came in handy after I bought my '48. I took it to a car wash, removed the seats and used the car wash wand on the interior.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
It could well be a part of the "Cab That Breathes" deal. It would allow air to flow in an area which is otherwise somewhat enclosed.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
Interesting GM would change up the die cut for this part. Yours and Klhansen are round holes. You’d think for ease it would’ve been the same.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
I like the “cab that breathes” line. I’ll tell my wife that the next time she complains about all the air movement in the cab.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Could it be for a Jack securing fixture?


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Could it be for a Jack securing fixture?
That's what I'm thinking....


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Plug like this one? 55 1st.
Attachments
Plug.jpg (64.33 KB, 505 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Don't know either. The Chevy and GMC trucks I've owned all had round holes. One came with the factory jack, tools, etc. The jack would only lift the truck a few inches, but it was there. They were not held in place by anything in that hole, though. They were in a heavy waterproof canvas bag with a cloth tie strap with GMC on it that just lay on the floor.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
My 53 had such a hole believe it was for a rubber anti rattle part for the long rod connecting the seat adjusters? Truck is long gone so can't verify.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Originally Posted by JiMerit Boltr#43
My 53 had such a hole believe it was for a rubber anti rattle part for the long rod connecting the seat adjusters? Truck is long gone so can't verify.
Different deal. That anti-rattle grommet plugs into the seat frame itself to support the rod. About 6" higher than the floor.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
I was working on my 55.1 today and the seat was out, and I recalled this post. Hope it helps. Can't find anything on number. Good luck to all.
Attachments
20231220_172157.jpg (64.7 KB, 192 downloads)


Pedals 3
Paddles 0
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Originally Posted by 1955firstseries
I was working on my 55.1 today and the seat was out, and I recalled this post. Hope it helps. Can't find anything on number. Good luck to all.

Thanks for sharing that pic. A little web sleuthing located this offering from Steele Rubber - Utility Plug. In the details it says it replaces original part number "4562300". A click on the vehicle application list shows a long list of various 1940-60 Buick models. Perhaps it was just a common GM item??? Unable to get into GM partswiki search this morning due to server issues, so can't do much more research through that way.

Anyhow, more fuel for the conversation - lol! thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0