The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
I lost one of the spring steel clips that hold the '3100' emblems on the side of the hood, and I'm having trouble finding any reference to them. I've checked every catalog I have, and they all have the emblems, but there's not even a mention of the fasteners. I don't even know what the proper name for them is. I'm talking about the rectangular steel clips with a star punched in them. About 1/2" x 3/4" I think. Anybody know what their actually called or where I can get a couple of them? Next step is digging through JEGS or Summit Racing's site. Thanks, all!


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The original maker was Tinnerman. I've always called them Tinnerman's. Other names : Speed nuts, speed clips.......CLICK
Home Depot has some and of course McMaster and FLAPS.

OR is this kind of what you want? Post pic of rear of your emblem. Center hood emblem or side "CHEVROLET" emblems?

POUR ON THE INFO.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
Yep, that's them (the Tinnerman spring fastener). Now i'll just have to find somewhere that sells 2 or 3 at a time. I definitely don't need 5,000 of them, though. Not in 100 lifetimes. Thanks, though. That answers my question.


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Find a piece of rubber vacuum tube that fits tightly on the mounting stud. Cut A 1/4” piece and slip it over the stud. DONE!
Good luck

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I am still not sure what you need. The link I posted shows an emblem for front of hood. That is a different ballgame so..............
You did say a flat piece with a start cut. So I posted one. Without sounding negative, how do you know what is looks like? If you have one, you would have posted it by now.
I didn't get answers to my questions. That's OK, sounds like you are sure it's a tinnerman you need. I'm just saying you may be guessing because you said "I think".


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I've cheated with Pal nuts and had no issues.

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
The hood emblem that lost it's nut is one of the '3100' emblems on the sides of the hood. Last time I painted the hood, I found it had one off, so I ran some threads on the two posts and used lock washers and nuts. One of them must have vibrated off, so that's what I'm looking for. The other side still has it's original timmerman clips. The hose sounds like a good idea, but it seems with all that heat in there they would eventually dry out and fall off, too. but I may try that anyway. Thanks, guys.


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
Since I was asked to show what I've been talking about, I finally got some pics this morning as I was putting stuff back together. So, here are the emblems and the studs and the tinnerman clips. The studs are 3/16"d, and 5/8"L.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/13685773/24611517/414477775.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/13685773/24611517/414477777.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/13685773/24611517/414477776.jpg

I'm getting old. I can't believe I didn't remember I had Chevrolet emblems on there instead of 3100 emblems. After 8 years owning this thing, and a daily driver, no less. And I just took them off the other day, too! Well, like Bette Davis, the actress, once said- "Growing old ain't for sissies!" Man, that's the truth.


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
You should be able to find those in any decent hardware store. I believe I have seen them in the bins they have in our local hardware.
I recall that mine (also the "Chevrolet" emblem used on '51's) had the "hat" style nuts on them - a hex nut stamped out of spring steel with an integral washer, similar to these but not push-on. I'd have to dig them out of my parts storage box to verify though.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Sounds like one side has "push on" retainers and that side is OK. Sounds like you modified the other side's stud to be threaded and used a nut of some kind. The nut came off. So wouldn't you just get another nut like the one that fell off?

Generally speaking Tinnermans are stationary. They are used with a screw that can turn into them. Generally they are not push on.

At this point I don't know if you need a push on or thread on style.

Tinnerman makes a "Pal nut" that threads on and they make an "axle nut" that pushes on. There are other names for these retainers. You will just have to go to a good hardware store with your emblem and play in the toy box.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Loctite


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Go to a body shop. Done.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Those push chingaderas I get at My local true value hardware store


Those spin chingaderas I get my my local autoparts store. Carquest
Attachments
A570171D-F119-49B4-82CD-E0D46C196020.jpeg (193.88 KB, 112 downloads)
5CF6E7D4-E88E-4F81-99D4-703407B01222.jpeg (178.26 KB, 116 downloads)
018F3C68-5A7D-4CF9-B6ED-FCEC92D114E4.jpeg (136.25 KB, 110 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"chingaderas" nono
4 out of 5 definitions that I could find are vulgar.

However,, I am very sure this meaning/definition is what you mean
". . . an item or object if its name is not known or forgotten" thumbs_up

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
For most Hispanics now-a-days it means "thing with no name". Like cosa.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Translates to "thingamajig" in English. wink
Or maybe "gizmo" or "dumaflotchy"

Last edited by klhansen; 10/14/2020 1:28 AM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
After going to NAPA yesterday and buying a bag of 50 hat type nuts which, although they were labeled 3/16" for the stud, the hole was too small, so I took them back. On the way there I stopped by O'reilly's, and they didn't even know what I was talking about. Then I headed over to my local Ace hardware store, as klhansen suggested, and low and behold, there they were. 55 cents each, which beat $9 for a whole bag of nuts I'd probably have sitting on my tool bench forever. So, the emblems are on and the job is as done as it's gonna get. Thanks, everybody. This forum never fails to help me.


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Just seen this thread, if ever needed again that GM #3695282 Speed nut shown on FAM Sect. 11 Sheet 7 , is a group 8.921 Item, , nut, stamped steel. 3/16 in rod.
The modern day equivalent is a Hillman #10 Flat Speed Nut # 881233 and can be found at Lowes. Don't ask me how much time and effort it took to figure that out. Its an affliction.....no cure, Well there is one but I'm not ready to go there just yet.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0