The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, greenie-reddy, Opelika Tom, Shaffer's1950), 73 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,283
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
I'm considering turning my '36 2ton into a pick-up on an S10 chassis. First I need someone to tell me how stupid that is and second, if no one does that, I need someone to tell me how different the front fenders are from the 2ton to 1/2 ton and if hey will look goofy. :confused: I haven't done anything yet so the advice would be really valuable at this point.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,410
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,410
I can hear the War Drums already!!! Try doing a search but be careful the "Big Guys" are everywhere. :p


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Emasculation.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Canuck,
Well you asked for an opinion, I think if you want to make a 1/2 ton truck, you are better starting with a 1/2 ton truck. The prewar trucks are getting hard to find in any size. It sounds like it might be nice to preserve what you got. That being said... it is your truck, and whatever you do with it, there will be people here that will help.

Good Luck
John

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I just checked out your gallery picture. What an awesome looking truck!

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
Dang now I'm starting to really feel like a heel. :o I guess I knew that it's probably best not to mess with old mother nature. Just don't tell the big bolts that I broke the faith. I probably will keep it original as much as possible.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
cool It may not go fast, but it'll get you there in stile!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
Well canuk I understand what your thinking and I have a much larger truck a 1946 coe. Im yet in the works of gathering my service parts for my large monster but I intend to make a large hotrod classic without changing my chassis but adding a little custom. Im losing the leaf springs for heavy duty air bags sutch as DOT BUS BAGS or tow truck bags from a car hauler, 1.5" hime joints to fabricate a four bar setup. I will not lose the work aspect of the truck I will yet be able to haul as much as I like but on a lowered stance. Bags will exist on the front axle also. I have found a replacement trans with power pto on both sides that will bolt directly to a v8 and this will allow me to keep the use of my hydraulic lift bed. I will mount the engine lower between the frame as well as the rest of the drive train as needed to make way for lowering the cab 6" using the stock cab support.
The truck will keep the original wheels and axles. The only thing lost will be the old springs and six inches of cab support. Four bar brackets are being made of 1/4" plate on the axles and frame. My sketches are awsome to me because it does look stock but will ride better, look like I want it to and incorporate (oe) parts from 1946 except for the engine and trans from late 1980. I think the big bolt guys will like the finish product and I will not post pictures till Im done. I do have 90% of my parts to hammer the work done in a month or two.


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
I forgot there is a picture of the truck before shiping if you click my name. CAJUN CRAW FISH. No work done in this pic.


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
I have considered this too but my problem is the narrow wheel base (about the same as a dodge dakota) which makes it tough to find modern components that are heavy enough to support a big frame and some kind of bed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1936 1/2 - 1 1/2 ton fenders are the same (who'ed ah thought)

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
I am working on the same project as you. I took a 1935 1 and 1/2 truck and converted it to a 1/2 ton. However, I kept the original frame. A 1940 1/2 front axle bolted right in. I shortened the frame and added a ford rear end, engine and a bunch of other stuff. I just wanted a truck I could drive anywhere. Good luck!

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
do you have any pics? What kind of '40 1/2 ton was the donor?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
I am gathering pictures as we speak. The front axle, springs were out of a chevy 1/2 ton. I could not believe it, but everything bolted right in..no modifications were needed.

For the rear, I notched the frame to fit the axle and welded a few brackets in place to hold the springs. It looks great!

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
send me a note when you do have pics. This kinda sounds too good to be true.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
Well Oltrucks what I did with a v8 and air bags is just what I wanted with my fantastic old truck. Sounds like canuck is doing just what he wants also. Seems as though there is a lot of people on this forum that do both restore and custom work. That makes this forum realy nice.


1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton Flatbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket

Old Big Trucks are built to last.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cajun your right it is a really nice fourm. My only point is just don't tell me it's "restored" smile

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
That would be retostore. Or to change for more modern while retaining the original look. grin


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
Whichever way you go, I hope you think about keeping the grill - that's way distinctive!


Everything is different now...
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
I'm thinking that I may keep the body looking kindof "Sanford & Son" chic with the paint all faded and the chrome all peeling. Another way to call it is "a sleeper" or "too broke to make it cherry". Either way I'm really leaning towards popping the body onto an S15 with a small block.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
canuck, I did it with a 46 1 ton, and I'm still a little concerned about being able to fill the wheelwells. Especially the fronts. I'm not positive, but I think the heavier trucks had larger wheel openings. MV


46 Chev One Ton Panel - S10 Frame Project

"What if the Hokey-Pokey is REALLY what it's all about?" - J. Buffet

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0