The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wheelie, Hugh63c10, Hawkman, UtahYork), 85 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,482
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1371856 08/03/2020 12:24 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
My original heater core seems to be leaking and I'm thinking about replacement vs upgrade.

Has anyone tried a new aftermarket heater or heater/AC unit?
How does performance compare to the original 'deluxe' unit?

Here's what I'm looking at:
https://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-Heater-Defroster-Assembly/productinfo/68%2D991B/#


'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
I have had good luck going to an established radiator shop. They can have a core built for you much cheaper than the suppliers AND it will be made in the USA!!
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Excellent advice, as usual, from Harold.

Luckily, I used to live near two excellent radiator repair shops. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Luckily, I had all my radiator "rebuilt" before I moved to near the NC coast. I have no idea where I could find a good shop here.

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
Good advice, thanks.
I pulled the core out just now... thankfully it appears leak is from the bypass valve hose.
Easy repair.

There is a lot of debris clogging my heater core after just a month outside (pine needles & pollen cones)... I might have to stick some mesh over the intake vents in front of the windshield.


'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
I run the aftermarket style round recirculating core in my truck. I think it came from classic industries I believe. Its rated for higher pressure and has a spal fan attached to it and fits in the box like stock so nobody knows its in there. Worked great last year when I drove the truck in like below freezing weather before we got snow. Also helps that it runs at a constant 195-199 deg.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0