Hello fellow enthusiasts! I'm trying to acquire a little info on this truck. This beauty is my girlfriends (lucky me). It's pretty much bone stock mechanically, 6V, 3 on the tree, floor start. I'm trying to determine the motor, I'm pretty sure the Canadian spec GMC had a Chevy motor, but of that I'm not sure. I have attached a couple of pics, one is the serial number on the block, the ID plate on the door and a pic of the old girl herself I did search for the motor info, but came up short Thanks,
Go to the site oldgmc.com they have a little on Canadian serial numbers .I beleave the truck is a 1955 first series the first number is the year then the next is 1 for chev 9 is for gmc ,3 is the series 9300,1 ,is the wheel base (116) and 4 is for pickup.the rest of the numbers is the truck number
Does the truck have a torque tube or a driveshaft .The 55 was the first year.for the driveshaft .The Canadian trucks came with a 235 engine .By the way nice truck and welcome .I don’t know about the engine number as mine was a rebuild I would think the number on the plate should match the engine .You could post the casting numbers to see if they match the year of the truck
We have travelled through Falkland many times as I have a Brother in Kamloops and a sister in Vernon. We always stop at the little Western themed restaurant to pick up some tasty pies.
A maintenance manual would be fantastic, though I have managed to download pages I need Gord&Fran, The Ranch cafe, it’s under new management and now have a smoker for bbq, to soon to tell if it’s a good thing
Way back most of us tried to get our hands on Canadian built 265, 283's because they had thicker blocks. I ran C/Mp (C modified production), it was punched max. That was in the days when we could cheat a little. Were the six cylinder's from Canada thicker? By the way Stagerguy that is a beautiful truck, you win, the girl and the truck! Welcome to the greatest site anywhere. Doc.
Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
Check your casting code. It should be on the right side of the block in front of the distributor. It will be raised. This will tell you if it’s a 216 or 235, as Kevinski said. I’d be surprised a truck like that has its original engine still. It simply isn’t crusty enough! Nice truck. Yes, CDN GMCs used Chev engines on the little trucks so we Canucks don’t have to worry as much about the dreaded frame differences our southern brothers do.
By the way, whatever happened to those links that were at the top of the Engine forum and had a bunch of those decoders listed?
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Here is a pic, I'm pretty sure this is the casting number. This number is stamped in front of the fuel pump, there are no numbers in front of the distributor (nothing between dizzy and fuel pump)
searching the web seems to indicate this engine block is most likely a Canadian produced 1954 235, but there isn't much to go on. if you take it apart plz let us know for certain thanks -s