The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136594 01/03/2007 4:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 22
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 22
i know that i've seen the exhaust heat plate available from someone, can't seem to remember where. i want an exhaust heat plate not hot water....can someone point me to the correct vendor?..........thanks

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
Patricks in Arizona has what you want.
http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/

Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I've got a question on this. I've heard that the exhaust heat plate doesn't work well and that you need a hot water kit. This is the way "the man" explained it: since the pressure in both manifolds is positive, there is no exhaust flowing through the plate, the only heat you get is radiated heat through the copper tubes. Anybody out there running one of these care to comment?

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
I am running exhaust heat to my manifold for about 3 years now and it works very well.
We get triple-digit and freezing temps alike and I don't have to use carb insulation spacers with the aluminum intake either.

The exhaust DOES flow through the manifold bottom, because only one exhaust valve is open at any time.
A small portion of the exhaust pulse can flow and exit into the other header, which has all exhaust valves closed at the same time.


There is actually one vendor who sells a heatplate with only one connection - no flow there....


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Ditto on it works! I've used an infared thermometer with both no manifold heat and with the exhaust gas heat. However, the stock and Offy 2x1 intake have 2 chambers and I found to optimize even heating, I had to grind down the casting between them.

Being that the Offy manifold has a tendency to leak water unless modified, I think the exhaust gas heat offers less potential for problems.

I've got a couple pics of the simple plumbing for the exhaust gas setup in my Webshots "Shoebox" on page 9. Hope this helps.


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#136599 01/04/2007 12:34 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Thanks guys; Good info! I think maybe someone was trying to sell me a hot water kit.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Waldo, I made my own hot water kit. The lines are 5/16" brake lines I used from NAPA. The fittings came from there as well. Bent them with a $10. tubing bender and painted them with Chevy Duty high temp "stainless". My neighbor loaned me a swaging/flaring set and showed me how to use it. I utilized a 261 thermostat housing and waterpump to circulate the water through the intake as suggested by 4onthe floor, another Stovebolt member. The heat plate itself started as a 5/16" thick piece of steel that was 4" X 5". I used a hacksaw and a vice to trim it and a bench grinder to shape it to match the curves and angles of the intake. I was again fortunate to have my neighbor drill and thread the holes for the fittings. Check out my pics on the link below. P.S. I believe exhaust heat would actually work faster. I have been told by someone with experience however that exhaust heat can "carbonize" an aluminum intake. Should work fine for the original cast iron type though. Also, theoretically, water heat can keep the intake(especially aluminum ones) from getting too hot, resulting in better performance and gas mileage.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
bigmacdaddy; That's most definitely the best looking hot water set-up I've seen so far. Nice job. What about the gasket between the plate and the manifold, it has to be water-tight right?

Hey tell that young man in the photo sequence to get rid of that F**d and stick with Chev/GMC, that way he won't have to push it around!

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I used black rtv sealant with the gasket that usually goes between the intake and the exhaust manifold. It weeped a little at first but doesn't anymore after gradually tightening it a little more.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i got mine from langdons in michigan and i use manifold heat and it has work well for about a year. pictures in my webshots. not pretty but works. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0